Hey everyone.

I'm looking to buy a new amp purely for bedroom practice.

I've found from these forums that the Vox AD15VT is the best small solid state/hybrid amp.

How would this compare to the Epiphone Valve Special 5w? http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=68249

I'd be playing a Fender fat strat on it, and would want nice cleans, blues, classic rock, and metal tones. I can get a distortion pedal if neccessary.

Is the epiphone worth extra money, the Fender blues jnr. is too much. so thats out of the question.

I wouldn't want to spend anymore than the Epi amp and maybe for a distortion pedal, so please suggest either, or another amp for the same price.

Thanks in advance.
Can I add another one to your list ? - the Ibanez Valbee 5W tube (£139 from GAK). It doesn't have any built-in effects, but it does have an effects loop, record/headphones out, and active tone controls (very good). It's a high gain amp, and it's got a boost button - ideal for metal tones.
Don't be deceived by the 6.5" speaker, it can really belt it out, and doesn't lack bass. Well worth a listen.
Hey, I've looked at the Ibanez. Looks cool, anyone got any input on it from experience? Might suck not having some of the effects, reverb etc.

Is it better that the Epi? Remember the style I want to play, and that I can buy a distortion pedal for the Epi if need be.
anyone got any input? I've just had a friend say he might buy my old amp off me (line6 spider 2 112)
I've got the Valbee - unfortunately I can't compare it to the Epi, as I've never heard it.
I've had the Valbee for quite a while, with no problems, and it's switched on a lot of the day.
(Almost forgot, it's also got a standby switch, which saves valve life - I don't think the epi has )
With the Valbee you might not even need a distortion pedal (with the boost button), although I use it clean with a distortion pedal. I also use flanger, echo, reverb thru the effects loop and this works very well.
You won't find many comparisons on here because for some reason, the Valbee is not sold in the US (or it wasn't last time I looked). You live in Brighton - why not trot around to GAK and try them both out.
Don't buy into the hybrid gimmick.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Reeced, how is the valbee for the other tones I want, blues, clean an classic rock?

Yeah I'll go down there soon, don't get much of a chance really though, also I'm trying to take to get advice from guitarists who aren't just looking to sell me the most expensive thing possible :P Also I'm not much of a tone freak, and I wouldn't know how good the amp could be with the right tweaking etc.

Basically I don't see my self as being fully capable of finding the right amp for myself. Thats why I come to you guys :P (and girls)
Quote by This_Kidd
Reeced, how is the valbee for the other tones I want, blues, clean an classic rock?

Yeah I'll go down there soon, don't get much of a chance really though, also I'm trying to take to get advice from guitarists who aren't just looking to sell me the most expensive thing possible :P Also I'm not much of a tone freak, and I wouldn't know how good the amp could be with the right tweaking etc.

Basically I don't see my self as being fully capable of finding the right amp for myself. Thats why I come to you guys :P (and girls)

I'm a bit of a pedal freak, but I have used it on it's own and it'll do all the tones you want (I've got a YamahaSG2000 with EMGs, and it does the blues brilliantly) but, and this is important, it's got active tone controls - just a small change can make a big difference, so it's takes a bit of time to get used to it. It does come with some recommended settings, but you'll need to play around a bit to get exactly what you want, and then note the settings. One other thing - it is only a small amp, so placement is important to get the best sound .
Some reviews here :-
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Ibanez/Valve+Bee+VBG+Combo/10/1
Placement? I'll only be using it in my room, it'll be loud enough won't it? Looks good at the moment, I have to admit I was kinda opposed to buying an epiphone amp with a fender guitar :P lol it's abit stupid tbh but ah well. I'll definitely check out the valbee, cheers.

I've read the reviews, tbh it doesn't sound too appealing :S.

What tube amps are out there that are 5 watts (doesn't have to be exact, just so I can crank it and play in my bedroom) and are good!? Valbee has crap reviews. I'll look ar reviews for the epiphone. Is there any other 5w tube amps out there that dont blow?
Last edited by This_Kidd at Sep 22, 2006,
I've got the valve special, I really like it. It's a lot better than the valve jr IMO. Not sure about the valbee. For 5 watt tube amps you don't have a lot of choice.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Yeah I know there's not much choice, I'm pretty sure most people know how I'm feeling at the moment, so frustrating!

I'll look more into the epiphone Valve special, I don't mind buying a distortion pedal, anyone got any suggestions on a good one? boss maybe, i hear their pedals are good?
Quote by This_Kidd
Placement? Valbee has crap reviews. I'll look ar reviews for the epiphone. Is there any other 5w tube amps out there that dont blow?

Valbee sound quality 8.1 based on 15 reviews (with 2 saying they had a faulty amp)
Valve Special 8.6 based on 16 reviews

I wouldn't say there's a lot in it ? - you've got to listen for yourself