Rules:

1. Backing Tracks are allowed, and encourged.
2. Singing isn't required, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
3. Contest starts today, and ends October 5th.
4. No spam in this thread. NONE

I need 5 judges, and it'll prolly be limited to 15 contestants. All entries must be in on October 5th, and the judging will take place on the 6th. I'm gonna be a judge, 'cause I suck at playing SOAD. Good luck to all.

Judges:
obey_yourmaster
alaub1491
seymourdimazio

Contestants:
ape_lord- Roulette
nobusforharold - Holy Mountains or U-Fig
Guitar_master92 - B.Y.O.B
MacPhisto_33 - ???
dEipHoBoS - Roulette http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=567986
Crunchmeister -???
Yawn - Choy Suey! (Still waiting to see if he wants to do it)
BlinK-Kid182 - Sad Statue http://bacon.dmusic.com/music/
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
Last edited by obey_yourmaster at Oct 1, 2006,
Uh holy mountains , or u-fig
Quote by scheck006
If UG had rep I'd give it to you.

Quote by zetaspartan2552
sounds like your mom suffers from mental retardation.

Gear:

Fender Precision Bass
Epiphone LP Special
Peavey Special 212 Guitar Amp
Cube-100 Bass Amp
Line 6 Floor Pod
Bongos
I'm in... but it will be hard to have backing tracks... My band is in a temporal... you know, we don't really know what to do with ourselves...
I call byob
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
i'll do roulette too if there's no problem with doing it twice..

n' yeah. there's already a cover of roulette in my signature, i'll redo it if you confirm me that i am able to do it too.
Last edited by dEipHoBoS at Sep 26, 2006,
Count me in for this one. Not sure which song I'll be submitting yet though...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Lol, SoaD was one of the first bands to have a Cover Contest on UG...

I entered that one

And lost

I might enter this one with my Chop Suey cover. Not sure.
Why don't you have a contest to see who writes the best song? Covers are so gay, and only show that you can play like someone else... meaning that your efforts are POINTLESS! Get a clue!

Thank you,
-The only slice of reality left on UG.
Quote by SonicMessiah
Why don't you have a contest to see who writes the best song? Covers are so gay, and only show that you can play like someone else... meaning that your efforts are POINTLESS! Get a clue!

Thank you,
-The only slice of reality left on UG.
I pretty much agree with you, except not to so harsh of an extent.

Recording covers are fun. People like fun. Deal with it.
^^^ I know, I know... but what is the point? Talent is judged by originality... not by treading all over someone else's work. Can't be original when doing covers... hence the whole doing covers thing is pointless. That is why music is dying... no one wants to save it, they are too busy trying to be someone else.
Quote by SonicMessiah
Can't be original when doing covers...
Actually, I've recorded three covers that sound absolutely nothing like the originals. Indeed, I used a ton of originality when recording those. And I'm not the only one - plenty of people make very original (and unexpected) interpretations of songs.

Quote by SonicMessiah
That is why music is dying... no one wants to save it, they are too busy trying to be someone else.
If you mean that in terms of directly playing covers, then I could name hundreds of well-established bands in the industry that aren't playing any covers.

If you mean that in terms of copying musical style, then, yes - I agree.
i would love to enter, but im not sure if i can record something in time, but if i cant i would love to be a judge!!!

is that alright?

AND the cover issue thing, this is a cover contest forum, but there is also an originall song contest forum, if u wanna enter stuff and stop complaining go there, otherwise join in the fun and covers work best when u interpretate them your own way.
Quote by Gakusey
I could do the solo from Roulette, just for fun. Is it OK?

I'd really like it to be a full cover. You can enter just for fun, and maybe some of us judges'll be nice enough to like crit it or somethin, but it prolly won't be judged with the rest. If you do the whole song, it'll be judged.
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
i cant do the whole song (hence the whatchamacallit) i dont remember the name of the instrument
any ways can i do a revisied shorterversion ?
Quote by scheck006
If UG had rep I'd give it to you.

Quote by zetaspartan2552
sounds like your mom suffers from mental retardation.

Gear:

Fender Precision Bass
Epiphone LP Special
Peavey Special 212 Guitar Amp
Cube-100 Bass Amp
Line 6 Floor Pod
Bongos
Quote by BlinK-Kid182
and do you just want us to post a link to our entry?

Yup.
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
Quote by nobusforharold
i cant do the whole song (hence the whatchamacallit) i dont remember the name of the instrument
any ways can i do a revisied shorterversion ?

Sure, just try to make sure you get most of the song, and maybe it'd be possible for you to learn the other instrument's part on guitar or somethin. But ya, a shortened version would be just fine.
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
If you think you can't be original when recording a cover, listen to lynyrd skynyrd's cover of Buddy Holly by Weezer.
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
VOTING STARTS TODAY!!

I vote for Roulette by dEipHoBoS. It was very well done, and I didn't hear many (if any) mistakes. Sad Statue was ok. It was sloppy, and there was quite a few mistakes. If it was practiced more, and maybe with a backing track or something, it might've been ok, but I vote for Roulette.

I need the other votes judges! ASAP, so I can declare the winner.
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
Last edited by obey_yourmaster at Oct 7, 2006,
Sad Statue-

i thaught that this was generally very sloppy, and generally just not tightt enough, especially as this is a system cover song contest and they are a very tight band!! I was impressed that u went it alone, but some vocals and maybe a backing record would have helped you! The guitaring was generally average, and its good that u decided to enter but it wasn't the best effort i have heard. (p.s i prefered your sugar)

Roulette-

Not the hardest song to pick, although you did it justice. it was good that you put singing along to it, it generally flowed well, and was a good effort. there was no real bad points about it, no mistakes, worked well,. the only thing that can be faulted is the singing because its not dead perfect, although even that is good enough! Generally this effort was the best.

I vote for Roulette to win.

Well done for those that actually entered!!
Well, since 2 out of the 3 judges voted for Roulette, dEipHoBoS wins! Congrats.
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
i'll be a judge, because i can't record
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by SOADrox429
i'll be a judge, because i can't record

Sorry...it's over dude
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get anythign done. Next time there's an SOAD contest though, I'm in for sure.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor