Can anyone please explain to me what the minor and major pentatonic boxes are. Like, these sites are telling me that they are different ways to play the pentatonic scales. Can someone give me a link to a good site that explains them. And also, I keep seeing that major and minor boxes have the same patterns.

And if there are so many ways to play a scale, wouldnt that be way too many scales to remember. And would the major modes have different ways to play each one too?

Thanks
Last edited by Johnny83191 at Sep 21, 2006,
Yes, there are a few different shapes to play major and minor pentatonics. It may look like they are the same because a minor scale is a major scale starting on the 6th scale degree of its relative major. I don't understand your question about modes though. Sorry if I didn't help. Check out Paul Howard's Rock Guitar book, there's a lot of stuff on pentatonics and how to use them (It's a 3 book set).
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Box patterns are unique to the guitar. They are simply convenient ways to play scales on the guitar. They have little revelance to theory on other instruments.
"It may look like they are the same because a minor scale is a major scale starting on the 6th scale degree of its relative major. I don't understand your question about modes though."

I dont really understand, I know the relatives and stuff, but I just need clarification. How do people remember all this theory?!
Here's the C Major Scale:

C D E F G A B C
W W H W W W H
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 R

W = whole steps H = half steps

C Major's relative minor is a, they have the same #'s and b's. You'll notice that it is the 6th scale degree of C. So basicly you play a major scale starting on A using the same notes on the C Major scale. This is also known as the Aeolian Mode. Then there are melodic and harmonic minors but I won't get into that.

A B C D E F G
W H W W H W W
6 7 R 2 3 4 5 6

I hope that clears it up a little bit.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
actually, it made things more complicated, now modes are the same way to play the major scale, just a different fret?

I think I quit theory until I get a teacher
thats a link to website hosting, maybe you mis spelled it. I got my info from this site.

Dorian- 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7

How is that the same as
a major scale?
Quote by Johnny83191
actually, it made things more complicated, now modes are the same way to play the major scale, just a different fret?

I think I quit theory until I get a teacher

It's the same scale shape, but the intervals are different because you're starting on a different root note.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Johnny83191
BGC, would they sound the same when played? Or is another way to expand your improv?
Will what sound the same, a box pattern?

Quote by Johnny83191
Dorian- 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7

How is that the same as
a major scale?
It isn't the same as the major scale. People seem to confuse C major, C D E F G A B with D Dorian, D E F G A B C because they contain the same notes. While they contain the same notes, they are COMPLETELY different in sound and application.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I'm watching that video now, Marty Friedman is pretty weird lol. His eyes are freaking weird.

EDIT: Yeah after watching 15 minutes of this video so far I think that Marty Friedman is really just the metal version of Jon Heder.
Last edited by TooLateForRoses at Sep 22, 2006,
woah, cool. Ijust started watching that. Is there any other free instructional vids on google?
Search for big name guitarists along with the words lessons, instructional, etc.., and some stuff will come up.
get metal method!

it rocks...yes indeed it does...i just got it in the mail today...i've been watching it since 2.
=]

it teaches you how to use all the different scales and whatnot....

www.metalmethod.com
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild