Looking for the amp that will best enable me to get the Satriani tone (and understanding I'll need some pedals, too).

All the above are under $600 and weigh under 50 pounds. Which is the best choice and why?

Help me out, shred masters!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
I would say a peavy classic 30 (you could get a classic 50 too for more power,) with a Boss DS-1 distortion. joe uses bolth and he used to use the classic 30's a while ago.

so that way you'll be able to get bolth his chrunchy tones and his face melter tones from the ds-1.

check out musicainsfriend.com for those.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Classic 30 with an OD, it will probably the closest thing to a JSX.

And stonyman65, can your Carvin amp do metal? What does it sound like?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Defiantely the Peavey Classic 50 and an Ibanez Tubescreamer. You could also get a pickup change, it'll change your sound a lot.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Hey thanks for the responses thus far. Seems like the Peavey is getting the most votes.

As for pickups, I was thinking ToneZone for the bridge and Air Norton for the neck. Not sure about my middle single coil (My S470 is H-S-H).

Also, regarding distortion, a friend gave me his Boss OS-2. You guys think that'll do it or would the DS-1 be necessary?

Thanks again!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Play them all, decide for yourself.

They're all good amps.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Hawaiiguy

Also, regarding distortion, a friend gave me his Boss OS-2. You guys think that'll do it or would the DS-1 be necessary?

Nope, the OS-2 should do nicely. Peavey classic is a great idea to
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Stu, RHCP, thanks for the comments.

What do you guys think of the ToneZone and Air Norton pups?
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by aznrockerdude
Classic 30 with an OD, it will probably the closest thing to a JSX.

And stonyman65, can your Carvin amp do metal? What does it sound like?

its pretty good for metal. low price, good components. it's bassically the same as a marshall DSL 212 but it has added stuff like presence and it has a bias switch if you wanna switch from 6L6/5881 to EL34s.

its worth every penny.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
never used a air noton but I have a tone zone in my strat and it is good. it has a good balance of bass, mids and trebble and clear harmonics too. it has a higher output than the pups satriani uses (his are around 235-300 the TZ is about 335)
its a good choice. it's basically as PAF on steroids.

if yor using a strat or a guitar with a trem, get the F spaced one.

If your using a fixed bridge like a tone pros (like the ones on gibsons) get the regular version.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Look, you will never get Satch his tone if you use high output pick-ups. You can't get the subtle tones that Satch frequently uses. If you really want his tone then you should get a PAF pro or PAF Joe for your neck pick-up and a FRED as your humbucking pick-up.
The PV Classic 30 is different and better than the Classic 50. It's not just more wattage in the latter, but the tone is different.

I bought my Classic 30 for 320 bucks...which was a very good deal. Look around used.

The Fender probably won't get Satriani tones very well. The Classic 30 can quite easily with an overdrive pedal.

Never played the Traynor, but I've heard it's good.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^lol pink, your sig is funny.

Anyways, I've heard from some website that the JSX was basically a Classic 30 with the XXX's distortion...

EDIT: or at least, that's what Joe wanted his amp to sound like.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^Hey, you've sigged me! lol

And I was listening to my mate's Satch cd yesterday, wow, just wow.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^lol.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I think the C30 with high gain tubes and a boost is the way to go.
Bob from Eurotubes has several different options for the C30. Right now I'm using his low gain blues amp tube set. Great tubes.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Thanks again for the comments, everybody. The clear winner here is the Classic 30!

Aetius, I hear what you're saying about Joe/Pro/Fred pups, but I was hoping to being able to come very close to Satch's tone but also have the flexibility to play stuff like AC/DC, Queensryche, Ozzy, Rush, etc. and I was told on other threads that a ToneZone Bridge and Air Norton or SD Jazz in the neck would do that for me.

How far off the mark do you think the ToneZone and Air Norton or SD Jazz combo would be in regards to getting Satch's tone?

Thanks again all for the comments. Really appreciated!

H
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Well one thing is for sure; You won't get the rich harmonics that the FRED humbucker can produce. I've played a guitar fitted with a FRED and it was truly magical when it comes to overtones... I think you'll be able to get Satch's shred sound or close to it but you definitely won't be able to get Satch's tone when he uses his neck pick-up. Very subtle and rich, which a Tonezone-Air Norton wouldn't be able to produce...

Conclusion; You might be able to get close to satch's shred tone when he uses his bridge pick-up but not so close to anything else I'm afraid (his neck/bridge pick-ups are very dynamic and especially the FRED humbucker).
Quote by Aetius
Well one thing is for sure; You won't get the rich harmonics that the FRED humbucker can produce. I've played a guitar fitted with a FRED and it was truly magical when it comes to overtones... I think you'll be able to get Satch's shred sound or close to it but you definitely won't be able to get Satch's tone when he uses his neck pick-up. Very subtle and rich, which a Tonezone-Air Norton wouldn't be able to produce...

Conclusion; You might be able to get close to satch's shred tone when he uses his bridge pick-up but not so close to anything else I'm afraid (his neck/bridge pick-ups are very dynamic and especially the FRED humbucker).
Thanks man! Hmmm, have to really consider getting the FRED now, or the new one he's using (Mo Joe?).

Much appreciated,
H
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT