Valve amps are tube amps. Valvestate or "Hybrid" amps, contain only a single tube (usually in the preamp section). This tube is supposed to add warmth and depth to the tone of the amp, although, this is very seldom the case. It's basically a marketing ploy to sell amps for far more than they're worth to uninformed guitar n00bs. I would suggest staying away from them in most cases (although, the Vox ADVT series are very good amps).
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by nic_2090
Valve amps are tube amps. Valvestate or "Hybrid" amps, contain only a single tube (usually in the preamp section). This tube is supposed to add warmth and depth to the tone of the amp, although, this is very seldom the case. It's basically a marketing ploy to sell amps for far more than they're worth to uninformed guitar n00bs. I would suggest staying away from them in most cases (although, the Vox ADVT series are very good amps).

Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by nic_2090

OK, so valvestate blows almost as bad as solid state, and valve is another name for tube?
Quote by nic_2090

I've played this 2001 Marshall AVT, (2500 or something like that), and with the right settings, it sounded really good. But it also had a different tube than the original one (I don't know how much of a difference that would make in an amp with one tube).

But that was the only good one I've ever played on. So... 1/100 chance you'll get a decent one.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Last edited by wmzbomgzors at Sep 21, 2006,
Quote by TooLateForRoses
OK, so valvestate blows almost as bad as solid state, and valve is another name for tube?

Valve is the european word for tube.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Valve = Tube
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
OK, OK, so I have another question with all of this in mind; if the Peavey ValveKing head is all tube, why is it only 500 bucks? (versus almost all other 100 watt heads that I've seen which are $1000 plus, other than that new B-52 thing)
In the US, and some other countries, they call them Electron Tubes, in most of europe. they're called Thermionic Valves
Quote by TooLateForRoses
OK, OK, so I have another question with all of this in mind; if the Peavey ValveKing head is all tube, why is it only 500 bucks? (versus almost all other 100 watt heads that I've seen which are $1000 plus, other than that new B-52 thing)

It's made to be a low budget tube amp. It's not the best sounding amplifier in the world either. It's basically for people who want an all-tube amp, but don't have a ton of cash. The B-52 is basically the same idea, except the B-52 is IMO a far better amp (it has more features too). You'll also find that both of these amplifiers have some solid-dtate circuitry (which is quite obvious considering the ability to switch between the tube and SS circuits, or mix them). It's a very nice feature to have, but it shows that the quality of the tube tone isn't on par with something a little higher end. If you're looking at getting a 100-watt tube head and you're on a tight budget, the B-52 AT100 is the better of the 2. Although, a smaller combo like a Traynor YCV50Blue, Mesa F50, ect. might be a more worthwhile investment.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Nah, when I get the money for a new amp, I'm not going to waste on some *decent* amp. I'd rather spend a bit more and get something nice. I was just wondering why it cost so much less.
A valve amp is a classic amp with gr8 sounds, but a transistor is a "light, portable amp" with copies and not much versatility of classic sounds. A mixture of valve and state is an amp that mixes the 2, so you get portability and control, versatility and above all, great sounds!
Ibanez and Vox...What a combination!!!
^Not quite. However enthused you may be with your new AD30, that doesn't reflect all other hybrid amps. And valve amps are easily portable, it's just that valves (or tubes) are easily breakable and require maintenance every once in a while.
Actually I'm quite sure Valvestate is a Peavey series of amps that are supposed to sound like tubes, but don't have any involved.

Hybrid amps are a mix of SS and tube.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.