A friend of mine who plays guitar (like me) wants to start a band but he's like worse me...quite worse not to be a pompous idiot or anything. Okay I know it probably sounds like a waste of time already but I remember I didn't really get good at guitar till I started jamming with my friend who is a pretty good guitarist and I got better ALOT faster and now I jam with him all the time. Okay enough ranting...what do you think?
TO DISTURB IS TO PLEASE
I'm in a situation like this myself. A friend of mine who is convinced that he is good at guitar but basically just knows a few chords and how to read tabs wants to start a band with me. I mean I think I suck, and he's probably only half as good as me, and he's been playing 3 times longer. I just don't foresee much potential or progress...
well unless you can play songs.
e.g. lets play master of puppets, u be guitar II i be guitar I.
if u can individually do it then its fine and u'll get better
but if one of u continually drags down, then nows not the time.

p.s dont do master of puppets do like strokes or something
I dunno, he's gotta be willing to give 110% and I don't know if he will
TO DISTURB IS TO PLEASE
well, sit him down and tell him that you need 110 percent and ask him if he's willing to give that, and remember Rome Wasn;t built in a day, this will take time
Playing in a band is the best practice you can get. If you play with him and a drummer he'll improve much faster and some of your skills might rub off on him. I say go for it and if it doesn't work after a couple months just forget it.
Jam, and don't care if it goes anywhere or not. Just do it cause it's fun, and he's your mate.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy
Jam, and don't care if it goes anywhere or not. Just do it cause it's fun, and he's your mate.

+1, jamming really does help improve skill.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton