Hey guys!

It's been a while! I've really missed the site...haven't been on very often as school has been crazy.

I finally found some time to sit down and record today! I actually had time to tweak placement, EQ, and all, and I think I finally found a good recorded tone!

http://thatguitarkid.dmusic.com/

the new clips are in the originals folder...there are 4 of them!

My biggest rig changes lately:

Mesa Standard 4x12
Rack, which reatures a reverb unit I use for delay and reverb

My problem with previous recordings was that I could get not low end...no matter where I placed the mic, I could not get the clips to sound full...

Problem solved! These clips are huge (atleast on my sound system....I also recently got a 5.1 surround sound for my computer, so I have much more accurate monitoring!). But It is definitely the new cab. I listened to an older clip, and it still sounded small through the system!

The avatar wasn't bad....but there's nothing for a recto like the recto cab! Much fuller sound....it almost seemed like the avatar had a hole in the tonal spectrum in produced.

I'm really loving it! Check it out and tell what you think! Everything is my recto, with Ibanez SZ520.

Might as well share some new pics while I'm at it!

They sound great, alot better than the previous ones.

How do you like the Mesa 4X12 over the Avatar? Is it built any better? It definately sounds better!
God...there is no comparison...for the money, the avatar can't be beat, but compared to a mesa, it gets raped....completely.

It's much sturdier, and the sound is HUGE! Very full, yet crystal clear! With my avatar, not only live but recording, sure it was loud and "big" sounding, but it seemed like there was a whole in the frequencies....just something missing, which thined it out!

If you can afford a Mesa Standard, get one! Easily one of the better cabs out there! I got mine for $510....sold my avatar locally for $450...so for $60, I got a mesa cab! Pretty god deal! I love ebay!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Yup! A great place for musicians!

Hell yea it is. Go to the shop and test what you like..then get it for much cheaper off EBAY. Gotta love it. Although I feel somewhat guilty when I go to a "Mom and Pop" shop to try their stuff.
Ah, I'm getting the E34Ls, Ec83cs or whatever?? and the GZ34s next week, im stooookedd!
I don't like the JJ preamp tubes....at all...

But they have very good power amp tubes. I have a quad of 6L6s and E-34Ls from Bob...already running the GZ34s, but not the power amp tubes yet. I'm waiting to get a little more life out of the stock ones first.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Where are the regulars?!?! lpdude? Erock? Dave? Andy?

Yo bro! DUDE Im LOVIN the new rig! And HOLY HELL IVE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO BUY THAT TC ELECTRONICS PROCESSOR! (thats what it is right?) Ive been looking at it for a long time and havnt gotten a chance to play with it How is it? Does it go well with Rectos? etc...

Sounds groovy man, what did you do with the Avatar?

edit- Im lookin at the little dots you have, for the settings. Your setting are almost exactly the same as mine on every channel lol

edit2- also, assuming that the delay/reverb is the TC Electronics one, do you have a midi controller for it yet? And how many effects can you run at once? And what other effects are on it? k im done. Im just really curious about it because its pretty inexpensive but it looks to have good sound quality to it and God knows that the Recto needs a good delay/reverb!
Last edited by kurdtkobaign at Sep 22, 2006,
the clips are okay, very messy and squishy sounding, you need to turn it up much more

your playing is aslo sub-standard,

sorry, i sound like a bastard, but you asked for opinions
I agree! Definitely valid points, and thanks for being honest.

I don't know what it is, but whenever I record alone, I freeze up and can't play 100%....when I record with the band, it's no problem, but alone, it always happen.

I sold the avatar to a local guitar noob....he's now running his 15 watt SS Laney through it.....he's a firm believer that bigger is better (even though I told him to atleast invest in a better combo first). I tried, but it's like the people that buy MG's....no matter how much you warn them, you can't change their minds. But he paid me $450 for it....I bought it for $480. Considering the Avatar resale value is about $200, I think it all went well And I got my mesa cab for $510 (shipped to my door)

As for the processor, I love it! It is a TC Electronics M-300 Dual Engine Processor! You can run two effects at the same time: Reverb, and then another effect of your choice! (There is also a blend knob to mix the intensity between the two, make one stronger than the other, etc.)

It has A BUNCH of reverbs and delays...more than you'll ever need! On top of that, it has flanger, chorus, phaser, tremolo. They're all of good quality. Very good actually. Definitely not on par with the super high end stuff, but for the money, an amazing processor.

Myself, I only use reverb (always on clean and sometimes for leads) and delay sporadically. So I really haven't bothered with a midi switcher. I just run it from my loop, and switch it in when needed with my recto footswitch.

Anything else you need to know?
Last edited by ibanez4life SZ! at Sep 22, 2006,
Hey man, i know what you mean.

I have exactly the same problem, when you are in a forced situation where you know you have to record something, playing is much harder.

A few beers solves that for me!

Keep up the clips etc
sounds better with the new cab man, definiltey a sweet rig you've got going there. I've heard the Avatar was good for the money, but Genoicide's fell apart on him, the baffles inside fell off. He said he was dissappointed with the quality of construction. I thought the playing was fine man, the tone is still a little buzzy for my taste, but that's being picky. Maybe it's my computer speakers too, it's not a high end fizz, but a lower buzz, like a kazoo sound when you hit single low notes. I've heard it in my recordings too when I'm hitting single low notes, and it pisses me off. I can't tell if it's my technique, mic placement, eq, etc. It is better though man, and I really liked the second high gain clip and the first clean clip. I like your fx in the clean clips too, sounds like a nice unit. Keep it up man.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Sep 22, 2006,
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Where are the regulars?!?! lpdude? Erock? Dave? Andy?

hmph. Fine. Not me.

About the clips, it sounds as though you're using the neck pickup on all the overdrive clips, and it doesn't sound very crisp at all. Real mushy, not my kind of tone. I like a lot more definition than that, and I know it's possible with that amp if you set it right...
Quote by electrik
hmph. Fine. Not me.

About the clips, it sounds as though you're using the neck pickup on all the overdrive clips, and it doesn't sound very crisp at all. Real mushy, not my kind of tone. I like a lot more definition than that, and I know it's possible with that amp if you set it right...

Agreed, it does sound good though, just not what Id want mine to sound like.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
^Sorry electrik! It was just a quick bump But you are definitely remembered!

I'm getting there slowly! So far, I've definitely gotten a bigger sound! Atleast it's not thin anymore, which is really exciting for me! There is still a bit of buzziness, and lack of bite, but more recordings will definitely get me there!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
As for the processor, I love it! It is a TC Electronics M-300 Dual Engine Processor! You can run two effects at the same time: Reverb, and then another effect of your choice! (There is also a blend knob to mix the intensity between the two, make one stronger than the other, etc.)

It has A BUNCH of reverbs and delays...more than you'll ever need! On top of that, it has flanger, chorus, phaser, tremolo. They're all of good quality. Very good actually. Definitely not on par with the super high end stuff, but for the money, an amazing processor.

Myself, I only use reverb (always on clean and sometimes for leads) and delay sporadically. So I really haven't bothered with a midi switcher. I just run it from my loop, and switch it in when needed with my recto footswitch.

Anything else you need to know?

Awesome dude. I think you just made a sale! (ever think about a sales job? lol) Well if you tinker around with it more, with all of the effects that is, let me know how it all sounds. You say you have it in the loop, which is good because I also would like the FX switch on the footswitch to be useful lol. Oh, how much was it for you?
I got it for $40 off of a friend....my bass player bought his entire rig used, and in his rack, came this thing....the bassist we bought it from also sang, so he used it for vocals.

He sold it to me for really cheap, and I've been enjoying ever since!
^ lol you lucky dog you! Im definately going to buy that thing now...but I think its a discontued model...