Page 1 of 2
Hey I've got a question.
I'm a guitarist who plays mostly classic rock but am just getting into shred. I currently have an SG special faded but am thinking of getting a Les Paul. The only problem is that the SG doesn't do so well with shred.
Now the question: Will shred work better on the LP or should I get a 'shredier' guitar like an Ibanez? Also, how do Ibanez sound on classic rock like Zep and VH?
By the way, am I right about the SG or do I just suck at shred?
Thanks
Ibanez, Jackson, and ESP are the best shredder guitars out there dude I think..The necks are very sleek and thin, and they play fast. Also, the body types and everything else about it is more comfortable. Go to a guitar store and try out different guitars to see
I've heard his name somewhere. Was he in whitesnake or thin lizzy?
well, it really comes down to a matter of taste & personal preference of feel on the neck

personally, SG's are better than LP's fer a shredding feel (& look)

but furthermore, I'd prolly go fer an Ibanez like u were saying because an LP won't necessarily "help u shred better"...
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
What about amps? I'm pretty sure about going for a tube. Anything suggestions?
LP's arent great for shredding.
It's harder to reach the 18+ frets because of the shape.
But it's still a d*** fine guitar.
I have one myself, and i love it.
But go with an ibanez or ESP.
*Points to avatar*
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Quote by Hidde
I've heard his name somewhere. Was he in whitesnake or thin lizzy?

Les Paul, the jazz guitarist? There's a thread with a video of him in Blues and Jazz.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
It's not either, I know plenty of people who can shred on a Les Paul. No electric is REALLY alot more "sheddier" than another. People will probly argue with me, but remember, the xception proves the rule...and no one sucks at a playing style, just inexperienced. Get experienced.
dwell not over dying, for it shall be the last thing you ever do.
*fur555dnm666*
Quote by psychodelia
Les Paul, the jazz guitarist? There's a thread with a video of him in Blues and Jazz.
he is referring to John Sykes and bout shredding it's a technique not genre so it doesn't matter what genre u play and u can even shred on rap.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by Godly Moose
*Points to avatar*

That's a custom model with a longer scale length and a thinner, wider neck.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I have an ESP Eclipse (Les Paul shape) which is great for shredding i find, the neck is relatively thin and it has a great classic rock tone........ It sounds awesome through my Laney GH50L.....
Super strats with fastnecks. But hey if you can make it work on a SG( seeing as its SUPPOSEDLY harder to shred on) then think what you can do on a more shred suited guitar.
Matt heavy also uses a non-conventional shred (lespaul). Interpret that how you like. I think he is an awesome guitarist tho
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
i find shredding hard on a LP especially the on upper frets, try the wizard necks on ibanez guitars :p
i would say if your wanting to get better at shred go for the typical ibanez, jackson esp so on, but les pauls can still shred, just look at buckethead
Quote by ch715dallat
but les pauls can still shred, just look at buckethead

Just look at Tom's post...

Anyway, I think you're going to get a lot of similar responses on this. Jackson's, Ibanez's, Suhr's, ect..
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
its not the guitar..its the players ..i am sure Vai , petrucci or any other shredder could shred on a les paul...its fine
Quote by Hidde
Hey I've got a question.
I'm a guitarist who plays mostly classic rock but am just getting into shred. I currently have an SG special faded but am thinking of getting a Les Paul. The only problem is that the SG doesn't do so well with shred.
Now the question: Will shred work better on the LP or should I get a 'shredier' guitar like an Ibanez? Also, how do Ibanez sound on classic rock like Zep and VH?
Thanks

Aren't SG necks supposed to be faster than LP necks???
Quote by eXor
Aren't SG necks supposed to be faster than LP necks???

that's what I thought (and still think)!
but each to their own I guess...
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
ask SGrocker, he seems to do fine with one for metal and shred.

Yeah, i would get a variety of guitars and go for something different instead of another gibson but it would work.
Quote by Hidde
Hey I've got a question.
Thanks

Zakk Wylde, Buckethead, George Lynch, Marty Friedman and Randy Rhoads all have wicked chops and each have played Les Pauls, or similar guitars, they made it work and so can you.

However on that note if you want something thats easy to shred on, and can get a good classic rock tone, I sugest getting an Ibanez along these lines

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_cbwi.html

The pups are kinda lame though, but when you have money you can change them.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
yea, zakk wylde shreds on a les paul. also consider deans.......the schenker(sp?) brothers play deans and so does zakk.
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Quote by curtis loew
yea, zakk wylde shreds on a les paul. also consider deans.......the schenker(sp?) brothers play deans and so does zakk.

Zakk Wylde's Les Pauls have differently carved necks....
^They're shaved for optimum velocity

I love the Zack Les Paul.......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I have 2 Les Pauls and They are both great for shredding IMO.

Has no one ever tried out a Musicman Axis. They have to be one of the best sounding and feeling guitars around at the moment.
I was considering the same thing because I'm in the same position as you...then I watched Buckethead, Randy Rhoads(creamLP) and Zakk Wylde. I love the LP sound and I love to shred so I'm staying with LPs.
Too bad you get cramps after jumping from speaker cabinets and **** after wearing this fooking heavy guitar and ****..................ahh the cost of tone

Keep the faith, baby!!
well, I figure it's worth it

after all: "no pain, no gain"...
Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever
Yeah but it's fookin' heavy !!!!!!!!!!

I recommend against it unless you play sitting down, step on a monitor and rest the guitar on your thigh (Petrucci style).................................... which I totally dig !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
i used to have a LP it wasn't the greatest for shredding, i have a jackson kelly now. Jackson and Ibanez are ideal for shredding. my mates RG handles classic rock really well, its a pretty consistent guitar, really versitile
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia.
Quote by Prophet of Page
That's a custom model with a longer scale length and a thinner, wider neck.

Then in theory wouldn't be even harder to shred on with the larger fret width/ scale length?
Making a traditional les paul even more of a shred guitar.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Then in theory wouldn't be even harder to shred on with the larger fret width/ scale length?
Making a traditional les paul even more of a shred guitar.

Well..., lets just say Buckethead hands are ginormous. Mostly because he's around 6'6"-6'9".
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

I own a les paul and dont suggest it for shred metal. It will work but its better to use jackson or esp (personaly dont like ibanez). Les pauls have the sound though.
Page 1 of 2