I've been thinking about getting a hollow body, but I was wondering how loud it was acoustic. I know it's probably not as loud as an acoustic guitar, but is it at least substantialy louder then a solid body?
The person below me is probably a homosexual.
i have a hollow body bass, and it's way louder.
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
Thanks, now, any recomendations for the loudest unpluged hollow body? The only acoustic I have left is a nylon, and me and my brother like to jam together.

Oh, and under 300 bucks, if possible.
It depends on what kind of hollowbody you are looking for. Most of the hollowbodies under 1k are going to be made of laminates. They will sound okay unplugged, but they really need to be plugged in to get the nice warm tone that is associated with hollowbodies. There are also semi-hollowbodies, which have the same idea, however they have a solid piece of wood running underneath the pickups. These will not sound as loudly as a full hollowbody acoustic, but they will take more gain and *some* distortion with little feedback. Now, if you have several thousand dollars to spend (meaning 3k-to the price of a very nice car), you can get a solid wood hollowbody. These sound wonderful acoustic, and some of the time do not even have pickups on them. For the average player, I'd guess that these aren't necessary. They are sought after by world-class jazz musicians, but they are too specific for an everyday player to invest in. (at least I wouldn't)

EDIT:
Under $300? They will not sound very loud at all...in that price area (they are all a little more I think), the Ibanez, Washburn, and Epiphone all make semi-hollow and hollow bodies that sound crappy unplugged, but have a nice warm sound plugged in.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Thanks for the information, depressing as it is. I guess I could wait and get an extra 1 or 2 hundred.
Quote by Snipe
Thanks for the information, depressing as it is. I guess I could wait and get an extra 1 or 2 hundred.

I would. In my experience, that can really make a difference. I've had nothing but bad experiences with extremely cheap guitars, but in the $400 - $500 range you can find something very decent.

I have an Ibanez AS-83 ($450), it's semi-hollow so it's not nearly as loud as an accoustic, but still much louder than a solid body. And they make fully hollow guitars in the same price range, which will sound louder and more clear unplugged than my semi-hollow. But i would never play one unplugged, except for practice. They're just not made to do that.