Page 1 of 2
do we have any blues harp players in here. lets talk about it.
theres a lack of harmonica in this world and its such a beautiful instrument with power.
ive been jamming with the woodshop teacher at school for a while.
hes got great stories. hes lived it.
hes toured with canned heat in 68-70 and had to fill in a couple of times. he managed them.
yeah so just write about it man
-and a river of green is sliding unseen beneath the trees

laughing as it passes through the endless summer making for the sea
yeah i play the harmonica

it really adds to a jam, and a good instrument to add to your repetoir (sp)

we should make a list of good blues songs with harmonica
i'll start with juke - little walter
all right cool man
heres one
mellow down easy- little walter

I'd love to be able to play harmonica

*Goes shopping for harmonica.*
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
^I'm workin on it right now. Once I've got my straight harp going I'll start on the blues.

That said, who are some good harp players apart from Sonny Boy Williamson (I or II, I dunno which)
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Quote by strateer
do we have any blues harp players in here. lets talk about it.
theres a lack of harmonica in this world and its such a beautiful instrument with power.
ive been jamming with the woodshop teacher at school for a while.
hes got great stories. hes lived it.
hes toured with canned heat in 68-70 and had to fill in a couple of times. he managed them.
yeah so just write about it man

do you have any stories that he told you?
Quote by The National D
^I'm workin on it right now. Once I've got my straight harp going I'll start on the blues.

That said, who are some good harp players apart from Sonny Boy Williamson (I or II, I dunno which)

Howlin' Wolf, Charlie Musselwhite, Paul Butterfield, Alan Wilson, Keith Relf and the guy from Fabulous Thunderbirds.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by ufossuck
Howlin' Wolf, Charlie Musselwhite, Paul Butterfield, Alan Wilson, Keith Relf and the guy from Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Oh man, Paul Butterfield is fucking amazing. One of the most un-appreciated blues players ever IMO.
Quote by ufossuck

Good list. Dont forget about John Mayall though...
Quote by SuburbanCowboy

I forgot about John Mayall. Another suprisingly good harp player is Billy Gibbons. "Waiting for the Bus" has a great harp solo. The guy from The Fabulous Thunderbirds was Kim Wilson, by the way.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by SuburbanCowboy

Didn't know that was him on those records.
Sly Stone also, because I think he plays like a blues player, but doesn't actually play blues.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
lets see my woodshop teachers name is chris mcdermitt
in 1969 he said that he was touring with te canned heat somewhere in the states. one show the harmonica player didn't show. the band was stressed out and trying to figure out what to do. they saw mcdermitt sitting in the corner, realizing he could play great. they urged him up on stage and he flat out refused. they offered him 200 bucks and he said no way. the bassist orffered him 300 and he agreed with a smile because he had planned on playing the whole time but knew he could make some monay as well. he was 19 years old at the time. he opened the show with a harp solo all by, on the stage all by himself. its great to hear this older guy tell me these things its like a movie or something. he just recently had the barenaked ladies come and ask him to jam. they want him to come and join them on tour next summer. its different for him because he is such a bluesman but he is adventurous and is willing to try anything.

sonny terry ****in rules the harmonica. but i don't. i can't seem to get the bending thing down, although i haven't tried very long...
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by Jackolas
I've got a harmonica but don't know where to start - any tips?

Practice hitting one note at a time. Once you've got that down, just jam along with songs and work on phrasing.
Say my Harmonica is in C, what key should the backing track be in? I heard its different.
Quote by Jackolas
Say my Harmonica is in C, what key should the backing track be in? I heard its different.

If you're playing in C the backing should be in C. You can also play in G on a C harp. If so, it should be in G.
Quote by Jackolas
I've got a harmonica but don't know where to start - any tips?

try hitting the root notes along with a 12 bar blues, and then try to complicate it, and take it from there
Does anyone in here know how to bend notes on the blues harmonica? I'm dying to know!
Quote by KGHerman
Does anyone in here know how to bend notes on the blues harmonica? I'm dying to know!

i'm learning to do that, when you are inhaling put the back of your tounge down or as flat as possible and it will lower the pitch
Damn, I wish I could play some blues harp!
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
harmonica isnt an instrument you can read books on. it has to be learned from the heart. there is no direct method to it. you got to figure it out on your own. so anyone trying to learn i suggest not to buy books or videos cus that could stunt your creativity and growth.
there is a harp solo on graveyard train by creedence that gets me going so much. you guys should check it out. fogerty can tear up on blues harp!!!

Quote by KGHerman

When playing a draw note, drop your jaw to lower the pitch. When playing a blow note, push your tongue forward to raise the pitch.
Me and my roomates were jamming one time. We rarely change key since we are just taking turns improv soloing/drinking beer. Anyway, one time i took my harmonica out of my pocket and started playing the main melody to "what if god was one of us" by joan osborn. We had to stop after the first line because everyone was laughing so hard.
Quote by ufossuck
When playing a draw note, drop your jaw to lower the pitch. When playing a blow note, push your tongue forward to raise the pitch.

Thanks a loT!!!
One very good blues harp player is Norton Buffalo. The solos he does on Mercury Blues by Roy Rogers are amazing.

Another great song is Whammer Jammer by J Geils Band.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
I played the harmonica a few years ago, and I really want to pick it up again, as I kinda stopped. Gonna save up and buy a few Lee Oskars and start learning crossharp and stuff.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
I got Hohner 'C' 10-hole harp. I'm lost as a baby in a topless bar, ever since I heard the Harp on "Run Through the Jungle" by CCR and "Long Gone" by the Kenny Wayne Shepherd band, I wanted to learn harp. I got one and I'm lost. I can do the one hole at a time thing, but other than that I'm lost.

Any help?
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
I'm interested in learning to play harmonica as well, anybody got any idea where to start, thanks.
Quote by no. 380059
I'm interested in learning to play harmonica as well, anybody got any idea where to start, thanks.

i started by playing the rootnotes along with a 12-bar-blues and then gradually made it more complicated
I have played for about 20 years. I actually am taking a break from it, trying to pick up guitar. Just need to get away from harp for a while until my creative juices get flowing again. People tell me I tear sh#it up. I must say I agree with them ;-)
I have my own sound, kind of a mix of Paul Butterfield, Sonny Terry, throw in some Big Walter Horton and the late super great William Clarke and you have my sound. I really love to cut up my sound with things inspired by Sonny Terry. I love his percussive sound. I fit that in a lot and crowds eat it up. I am always welcome to sit in for several bands in my area when I feel like playing. Now, if only I could squeeze the blues out of my Tele :-(
I suck. But it is fun trying.
^Sonny Terry is great. If I could be as half as good as him...

Anyway, I'm not to good at it, but I enjoy playing.
I've got 6 hohner blues harps. I love them all. I love to use them for folk and blues. I got into playing the harmonica after listening to this band called Old Crow Medicine Show. Then I started playing it blues style. And I ****ing love it specially on the C harp, I can do that famous blues lick you know the "Da do da da" something like that ud have to hear it. and youd know. But do you know of any like blues songs that feature alot of the harp?
Hey, I have a quick question.

What order should i progress in? I will try to explain... for instance on the guitar you do powerchords, then you learn chords, then you learn bends, then hammer ons, then pull offs (just kinda threw out an order there). How should i go about doing things on the harp? Single notes... then what? anybody have an order that they picked things up in? I dont want to miss any basics and get frustrated.

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
I play harmonica, but i dont play pure blues much, i mainly play folk, or country/delta blues.

Sure as hell is fun to play.
Is there and actual blue harp, that might say, have different elements etc, or will a Hohner Marine Band in D do me?

I have got single notes down, but I'm not doing the tongue block, I just manage to play single notes. =S . I can also bend down the pitch, but going up is hard.
If you havent played before i recomend you to get a Honner Special in C, or a Lee Osker in C, then branch out into the other keys, the marine band are one of the most popular out there and are in many keys, but arnt good for people starting out, The Honner Special 20 and lee osker are good to start out on and are used by many Expert players and professionals.
Blues harp is the pwnt, Its something I plan on learning a little bit down the track. I heard that if you're playing blues then your harp should be 3 tones higher than the key of the track... So if you're playing a harmonica in C then the backing track should be G etc etc.

Ian Collard is an amazing blues harp player (I'm pretty sure he was harmonica world champion a few years back) He's in an Australian band called 'Collard Greens and Gravy'.. Their selftitled album has lots of awesome harp playing. Check out their cover of 'St. James Infirmary' it owns Armstrong's version IMO.

Junior Wells is another easy choice of course.
Page 1 of 2