So recently my friend has being helping me out, and ive been trying to tab out songs by ear, im pretty sure this is useful to helping me improve.. am i right? It actually feels alot better than just reading off the tabs and playing it, feels like youve accomplished something

Just wondering about others views on this.
Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
yer it's good stuff, i guess you can combine that with your knowledge of scales and chords to sort of feel even more satisfied. so you could be like "oh that sounds like a d5 going into an e5 and then a major scale with a root note of g" or something. it's definately a good way to build theory.
Marty
But thats the thing, my theory isnt that good. Especially my scales, what do u reckon me to do so i can understand scales and how they work etc?
Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
Check out some of the lessons on this site, for a start, find a friend who knows and ask them, that's good too.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
it is always best to work things out by ear, as you said, you feel like you've accomplished something, plus one day you might be put in a situation where either the tab isnt available, or you dont have access to a computer
ya look into theory, such as the circle of fourths and everything to go with the scales and learning to tab by ear is a TREMENDOUS accomplishment, i still cant do it and ive been playing for two years... but if you wanna just boost your playing check out Fretboard Logic, it helped me a good bit
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Since when is there any other ways to tab?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
/\ He probably meant should he look at tabs on this site or try to figure it out for himself. And besides there's always the "copy it from a book" way of tabbing...