What are the differences between maple and rosewood when it comes to tone and durability?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Maple is hardwood, generally, it's heavy too. It gives a bright tone./

It's probably more durable than rosewood, which gives a more mellow and soft tone.
Maple also shows wear.... rosewood is dark so you cat see it.... if u play hard and fast i would go rosewood
There really isn't much of a noticable tone difference. Some people can hear it but most people can't. If you can hear the differance you will notice that rosewood is warmer and maple is brighter.

Rosewood is a lot more durable than maple.

The best way to choose between maple and rosewood is to play them both and see which one you think feels better.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Invictious
Yes, that's madpickin's new fav thing to post, instead of tuning floyd rose thing.

HAHA! thats so freaking funny

oh and i like the smooth feeling of maple. and because its usually finished, u can polish it too. makes it slick.

i admit most all my guitars are rosewood tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
They're all so lazy to use the search button...what choice do i have... its the same question all over again.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
All of those are for body woods though, not fretboard woods. I prefer Maple fretboards. They feel so much smoother to me and I love how you can see the wear on the fretboard. In my opinion it really adds character (look at Mike Stern's main guitar).
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by Scorzerci
All of those are for body woods though, not fretboard woods. I prefer Maple fretboards. They feel so much smoother to me and I love how you can see the wear on the fretboard. In my opinion it really adds character (look at Mike Stern's main guitar).

Here, for "FRETBOARDS"

Maple:
Very bright and dense, Maple is highly reflective. When used on a fretboard, Maple encourages tremendous amounts of higher overtones and its tight, almost filtered away bass favors harmonics and variations in pick attack.

Rosewood:
The most common fretboard, Rosewood is naturally oily, and works well for any surface that sees frequent human contact. The sound is richer in fundamental than Maple because the stray overtones are absorbed into the oily pores

Ebony
:
Ebony has a snappy, crisp attack with the density of Maple, but with more brittle grains, oilier pores, and a stronger fundamental tone than Maple. It has a tremendous amount of percussive overtones in the pick attack, that mute out shortly thereafter to foster great, long, sustain.

savvy~?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic