I've got this 85 fender that's got its fair share of dents in it. Actually, no matter where you look on the guitar there is a dent. I'm wondering if theres a way to get these things fixed, like could you just get it re painted?

Sorry if theres a thread on this, I'm retarded when it comes to finding past ones.
Quote by MidnightHours

....I'm retarded.....

well then how do you expect to fix ur dents?

haha
You could try wood filler, but ive nevver heard of people fillling in dents.
Quote by henza_x
well then how do you expect to fix ur dents?

haha

I was hoping a guitar shop would look at my stupidity and give me a discount on fixing it.
in woodwork, when u have dents or 'holes' we use putty, and then sand it down and its like bing.
i spose with a guitar tho, if u were to use putty u'd hafta sand it down and repaint and so it'd be too much trouble. but i never heard of fixing dents in guitars
Like Henza said, dents are dents. It's too complicated to sand down the guitar, fill in the whole then repaint and refinish and still match the original finish.

Don't worry about them. Dents don't affect tone, and they give your guitar character!
Sand down the offending area, liberally apply wood filler, scrap off excess and apply again (to make sure the dent is filled) scrap off excess. Grab a sanding block with some fine sanding paper (800+ grit) and sand even. It's imparative that you use a sanding block otherwise you will contour the body incorrectly when sanding. Re-apply finish to affecting area and polish.

I recommend practicing this procedure on a 2x4 or similar first before moving on to your instrument. I also recommend having it refinished professionally as the number of things that could go wrong when you refinish is much greater than fixing dents.

He asked how to do it, not whether or not he should guys
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
also u can steam them up. soldering iron and a wet rag. this will raise thelarger dents.

for scratches sandpaper will do. like said.

once u start sanding tho, be preparred to strip the guitar and repaint. its not like u can spot sand and still make it look good.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
also u can steam them up. soldering iron and a wet rag. this will raise thelarger dents.

for scratches sandpaper will do. like said.

once u start sanding tho, be preparred to strip the guitar and repaint. its not like u can spot sand and still make it look good.

what about an iron? oh well anyway just leave dents it always tell stories of the guitar
I wouldn't strip it and fill it or anything, that would make it worth about... nothing. That and dents add character.
hey phil, wasnt sure if u were asking how, or adding that a regular iron works as well.
either way, TS here's a tutorial with pics in case u were interested in trying....

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/SteamOut/steamout1.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

But why? I really want a beat up white strat...dunno what colour yours is but I bet it looks cool. Please post a pic before you do it
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by jj1565
hey phil, wasnt sure if u were asking how, or adding that a regular iron works as well.
either way, TS here's a tutorial with pics in case u were interested in trying....

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/SteamOut/steamout1.html

yeh i was asking if you could use a regular iron to fix the dent. well it does work for moulding thin veneers for forearm cuts
yea you can, but it would have to be a really controlled steam. most irons are kind of overkill.

i think a tiny streamer might even do the trick. just dont want to melt the finished coat
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62