The man's trying to bring blues music into the mainstream audience. Sure, it's not really authentic blues, but how many teenage kids are listening to that anyway?

I'm more of a jazz guy than a blues fan, but I respect what he's doing. It's not easy to really be original anymore and it's shocking to see such protesting to someone who's giving it a good effort.

If you like blues, then you should support its nuances being played on the radio. Sure, there's better blues out there, but its not being heard by today's youth.

Peace.
Last edited by JazzManRoper at Sep 22, 2006,
His bluesier stuff is good but his other stuff is just annoying. You're Body Is a Wonderland is probably one of the most hated songs by the guitarists on this board. The new song is just like his old stuff and it's nothing different. Good for you if you like him though he just isn't my style.
Quote by Mr.Smith
His bluesier stuff is good but his other stuff is just annoying. You're Body Is a Wonderland is probably one of the most hated songs by the guitarists on this board. The new song is just like his old stuff and it's nothing different. Good for you if you like him though he just isn't my style.

"Waiting on the world to change" is a classic blues progression.
Quote by JazzManRoper

Maybe so, but it still sounds very poppy and the lyrics aren't anything spectacular.
I have utterly no respect for the man whatsoever, he's an arrogant prick who thinks he's the greatest musician to have ever graced the planet. He severely needs brought back down to earth, taught how to play guitar, and to learn what blues actually is, rather than making a career our of mainstream pop then claiming he did it for the true blues musicians like SRV. The mans a fucktard.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Fusion ?noun
1. the act or process of fusing; the state of being fused.
2. that which is fused; the result of fusing: A ballet production is the fusion of many talents.

What has that got to do with it at all?

He's not fused anything, he's changed styles claiming he's a blues musician after making a sell out career in pop music just so he could become famous. He admits that himself.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Im getting sick of these John Mayer threads in the blues forum. He doesnt play blues, hes never released a blue song, and he probably never will.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
hes got a gay voice , and he looks gay........we were all thinking it.

anyway hes not blues hes pop
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
time for an "only-Mayer" thread maybe?

Sure ... just not in the blues forum.

Phish - Waste
i dont see a reason to hate him either. his new album is very jazzy/bluesy. so what if its still considered pop? its the best pop music ive ever heard. if you dont like him, just shut up about it and let us who do like him like him in peace.
Quote by captain_jack
i dont see a reason to hate him either. his new album is very jazzy/bluesy. so what if its still considered pop? its the best pop music ive ever heard. if you dont like him, just shut up about it and let us who do like him like him in peace.

I dont care if you discuss Mayer its just that he doesnt belong in a BLUES forum. You said yourself that its pop. If its pop then why is it in here?

Phish - Waste
This thread shows how creative artists are ridiculed by so-called "purists."

It's not really surprizing considering the archaic nature of the music, and the state of mind from most blues fans, but it is disturbing considering how few original talents there are anymore.

Go ahead, listen to B. B. King play the same songs over and over again, but don't be surprized when your favorite blues artists are singing the praises of the "new breed" because they have a different perspective on music than the fans.
Last edited by JazzManRoper at Sep 22, 2006,
Quote by JazzManRoper
This thread shows how creative artists are ridiculed by so-called "purists."

It's not really surprizing considering the archaic nature of the music, and the state of mind from most blues fans, but it is disturbing considering how few original talents there are anymore.

Go ahead, listen to B. B. King play the same songs over and over again, but don't be surprized when your favorite blues artists are singing the praises of the "new breed" because they have a different perspective on music than the fans.

Yeah becuase we all know that John Mayer is a much better musician then B.B. King, one of the most influential and greatest musicians of all time.

Phish - Waste
Quote by JazzManRoper

Playing the 12 bars does not a bluesman make, young one.

Cites 'No Compute' by Funkadelic. (That one uses an 8 bar blues progression).
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Quote by IrishBlues
Yeah becuase we all know that John Mayer is a much better musician then B.B. King, one of the most influential and greatest musicians of all time.

Wow, right over your head.

Doesn't it mean anything to you that musicians, such as Mr. King, think very highly of John Mayer?
I have nothing wrong with John Mayer's new music, I mean it's not that bad, but he's a prick people!

Read in the interviews, he compares himself in talent to Hendrix, SRV and B.B. King! He's using this "change" to "blues" as a way of getting attention, just like he got attention and fame off of those gay pop songs.

I'm sorry people, but I like REAL blues music
Quote by JazzManRoper
Wow, right over your head.

Doesn't it mean anything to you that musicians, such as Mr. King, think very highly of John Mayer?

Not at all. Eric Clapton likes Green Day and I absolutely hate them. Im not going to like a band just becuase someone else does..

Quote by Hardin
I have nothing wrong with John Mayer's new music, I mean it's not that bad, but he's a prick people!

Read in the interviews, he compares himself in talent to Hendrix, SRV and B.B. King! He's using this "change" to "blues" as a way of getting attention, just like he got attention and fame off of those gay pop songs.

I'm sorry people, but I like REAL blues music

Hes a complete and total asshole. And the fact that he has SRV tattoed on his arm and he has now decided to start smoking weed after seeing what that did to Stevie and Jimi I say **** him.

Phish - Waste
By the way, you guys are complete tools if you think Marijuana had ANYTHING to do with Jimi Hendrix's death or SRV's problems.

Seriously, live a little.

That said, it's pretty lame if he actually said "I want to start smoking weed."

LOL!!!
Last edited by JazzManRoper at Sep 23, 2006,
When the fuck did he ever come out and say he started (he's not even smoking it, he vaporizes it), because Stevie and Jimi?

And honestly, you call him arrogant. Get over yourselves, he doesnt deserved being called a name anymore than anyone else out there.

Puting music into genres is one of the stupidest things i've ever seen done. Good music is good music.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
When the fuck did he ever come out and say he started (he's not even smoking it, he vaporizes it), because Stevie and Jimi?

And honestly, you call him arrogant. Get over yourselves, he doesnt deserved being called a name anymore than anyone else out there.

Puting music into genres is one of the stupidest things i've ever seen done. Good music is good music.

Can someone link me to this article where he admits to smoking (or vaporizing) weed?

Pretty please???
i think john mayer is very talented and i really enjoy all of his music, but apparantly just because hes not jimi hendrix stevie ray vaughn or B.B. King nobody is going to consider him blues, he can be just as bluesy as any of them but just because he had slightly poppy acoustic songs in the past nobody will even stop to think about how talented he is before insulting him as a musician
I am SEXY!!!
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr

What the fuck, yeah because all music is exactly the same. Classifying music is part what makes music what it is. People write in the style of a certain genre. It's not like somebody sat down and just went "Right this is blues music, this is jazz, this is classical, this i baroque etc...." music has always been classified under a genre. Deal with it.
Quote by CornLord

Yeah classifying music is stupid ... oh wait the UG Forums have music seperated for these reasons. If I started posting Iron Maiden (nonthin against Maiden, I love Maiden) threads in the Blues forum then I would get ripped apart. But just becuase people have this crazy idea that Mayer is a blues artist then its all right.

And I never said that he started smoking becuase of Jimi and Stevie. I meant that I cant see how someone that is that big of a fan and says he owes everything to SRV decides to start doing weed.

Phish - Waste
I dislike mayer for one reason... he is, essentially, making himself out to be a clone of all these blues legends... and yet his first few albums were pop albums... Where is your integrity, dude? I play rock music... so i'm sure not gonna go make a rap album (even though I could) just to be famous! I have integrity, and beleive in my music. The fact that he can't even respect the genre he chose to follow sickens me. Why follow and learn and study in tat vein if your just gonna be a poser?
Quote by geetamasta15
i think john mayer is very talented and i really enjoy all of his music, but apparantly just because hes not jimi hendrix stevie ray vaughn or B.B. King nobody is going to consider him blues, he can be just as bluesy as any of them but just because he had slightly poppy acoustic songs in the past nobody will even stop to think about how talented he is before insulting him as a musician

John mayer isn't even 20% of any of those men and probably never will be. I must admit that I do LIKE some of his new BLUES INFLUENCED stuff but then again he is a total arrogant prick who does drugs because the're cool? Remember; Mayer is BLUES INFLUENCED not blues!
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
Quote by TylerRRR
Remember; Mayer is BLUES INFLUENCED not blues!

Phish - Waste
Quote by TylerRRR
Remember; Mayer is BLUES INFLUENCED not blues!

Agreed, and that's what makes him a unique talent. Anyone can copy what's been done before (Kenny Wayne Shephard), but only a true artist can take what they know and create something different with it.
Who gives a sh*t if Mayer smokes weed now? What does that have to do with anything? I agree that its stupid that he seems to brag about it, but still..

It might even help him make better music... who knows. But dont give us that lame crap about "look what it did to SRV and Jimi." Weed didnt do ANYTHING to them, their lack of willpower did. Not all of us pot smokers wind up moving on to heroin and other hard stuff. If you dont know what you're talking about when it comes to pot, please dont even mention it. Theres too many people out there who dont know sh*t about marajuana, yet they preach about it like they're experts. Nothing personal, IrishBlues, you're actually one of the best posters on this blues forum. The weed thing always hits a nerve with me though...
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
Who gives a sh*t if Mayer smokes weed now? What does that have to do with anything? I agree that its stupid that he seems to brag about it, but still..

It might even help him make better music... who knows. But dont give us that lame crap about "look what it did to SRV and Jimi." Weed didnt do ANYTHING to them, their lack of willpower did. Not all of us pot smokers wind up moving on to heroin and other hard stuff. If you dont know what you're talking about when it comes to pot, please dont even mention it. Theres too many people out there who dont know sh*t about marajuana, yet they preach about it like they're experts. Nothing personal, IrishBlues, you're actually one of the best posters on this blues forum. The weed thing always hits a nerve with me though...

Ok Ill admit that was a low blow to Mayer. Its just that when I read that it was kind of the thing that put me over the edge. I dont smoke weed and never plan on it but I know people that do and they are fine and I do understand that all those anti-weed campaigns are mostly lies. Its just that I repsected Mayer for not doing it and now that hes doing it now it just bugs me.

Phish - Waste
Last edited by IrishBlues at Sep 23, 2006,
I think more of weed as a nasty habit... if you want to do it go ahead, it just smells really nasty. Anyway if Mayer wants to smoke weed fine, but when he announces it to the world it starts to piss me off, so now a whole bunch of little kids are going to be like... hey I want to smoke because John Mayer does it.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
john mayer is a tool, plain and simple. if we're on the subject of drugs, i just read an article by bb king where he said he told SRV and Jimi to stay away from drugs. im sure he'd have the same advice for john "the tool" mayer
Are you guys saying "look what pot did to SRV and Jimi" in a bad way. Because, as you should know, they were doing "heavier" drugs other then smoking innocent old pot. (actually I don't consider weed a drug) Jimi was addicted to sleeping pills, and wasing them down with booze, (which as you know, was the cause of his death) and well, probably any kind of drug he could get his hands on. And SRV had a bad battle with coke... or was it heroin I can't remember which one ATM. But I don't beleive pot harmed them in any way. Probably helped, marijuana actually has some really great side effects. The only reason why pot is so unaccepted nowadays is because of some jackass in the early 1900's who said (in a deep and reverbing voice) "Marijuana will make you kill people". And in our present time it's (once again deep reverb voice) "Marijuana is a gateway drug".... sorry I'm getting a little of topic. This subject always gets me though.

Anyways.... I agree with jimmyjimjim, "Mayer is a tool, plain and simple." He's talented, and very creative, but a tool nonethelesss. You don't start off playing "poppy little girl" songs and then go off "trying" to make a blues album that's actually nothing of the sort. It's a poppy blues influenced album, with actually only a hint of blues.... Just a pinch. After watching some recent interviews of him, he is an arrogant little twat. I forgot who was interviewing him, but he asked something like "Who else do you think could have made a change from pop to blues" and Mayer said "Honestly... I'm the only one. Really I'm the only one who could have done it" What a prick. Honestly, what an arrogant pile of butt gravy.

EDIT: And of course, all the great blues guys don't rip him a new one... it's not good business sense. You call him great or whatever then all the little kiddies who like him buy your records. Once again using Mayer as a tool... see he's a tool in so many ways. LOL
Hai UG!
Last edited by L_Z_Nut at Sep 23, 2006,
Mayer pulled a Busted, really: released a load of pop stuff to get famous and make a career then played other stuff. If it works for him, then ok. I didn't like his pop music stuff very much. He's an alright guitarist, he does some interesting things with his guitar.

Now, can we talk about the blues please?
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by Encore_God

Now, can we talk about the blues please?

I like the way you think

Phish - Waste
can someone close this thread and move it to the pop section or the "i love homosexual music section"?

pretty please
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.