21 IQ
Quote by Rock In Rio
How would I tune to Psychosocial?

drop b my bro
METAL~~METERA~~METAL
JoePerry's#1fan
WTF!!!
37 IQ
Thanx, man. This help me alot with some songs that I couldn't really play right because of tuning
Stratocasters=

Quote by reb_49
You all seem to be confused a quite bit, let me put this down into these simple words: Music Is Always Evolving, The Problem Is That People Aren't

Favorite Guitarists -
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Perry
Jimmy Page
zhilla
344 IQ
Apologies if this has already been answered...

Okay, saw my teacher tuning up this week using harmonics - I've always just used the standard 5/5/5/4/5th fret thing, but using harmonics seems loads easier and more accurate. I'm okay with what harmonics to use for my E/A/D/G/e strings (5/7 I think it is...can't remember without my guitar in my hand), but what do I use for my B string?

Cheers
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
^7th fret harmonic on the low E and open B.

For the high E you can use the 5th fret harmonic on the low E and the open high E, or the 5/7 thing on the B/high E string.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Nickie Vicious
Banned
112 IQ
I want to tune my guitar to a Drop D, and I have a chromatic tuner. Where does the needle need to point on which strings to get that?
Ninjake
Capt o' the gravy train!
171 IQ
Has anyone posted d g c f a# d# ? I don't feel like searching each page. I like the tuning tho, it's just standard d with the two thinnest strings up a half step, so that each string is a fifth higher. I like it for power chords all the way up =P
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
VikingFoetus
[snappy witticism]
32 IQ
Are there any major disadvantages to using EADGCF (all fourths) tuning on an electric guitar, when playing rock/metal? Despite not being in standard tuning, of course...
Last edited by VikingFoetus at Nov 17, 2008,
KenjiBeast
713 IQ
Quote by VikingFoetus
Are there any major disadvantages to using EADGCF (all fourths) tuning on an electric guitar, when playing rock/metal? Despite not being in standard tuning, of course...

Chords get ****ed up. Otherwise, at least for leads, it's awesome.

You can get some really neat jazz chords, tho. It takes some thought, but all fourths is awesome.
TunaFish
Ocean User
190 IQ
hello

Ive got a question. I dropped my guitar for C# tunning. In tabs there a # after the string (like 4=C#). This indicates its c# tuning.

How to drop to normal dropped C? I think drop C normal was C# so for some songs i must have normal drop C. Also if i play drop C#, i can play drop C but need to back one fret right?

Drop C: DAFCGC
Last edited by TunaFish at Jan 6, 2009,
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
What?

You're in C# standard and want to go into drop C?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
TunaFish
Ocean User
190 IQ
Quote by FrenchyFungus
What?

You're in C# standard and want to go into drop C?

im not a big knower of droppings. So drop C# is the same has drop C?
black amendment
Masochistic
789 IQ
Quote by TunaFish
im not a big knower of droppings. So drop C# is the same has drop C?

Drop C# is a bit higher than Drop C; more specifically, a half-step higher. Your note is a sharp at the moment. You need to tune down just a half-step. A good helper for tuning is a piano or keyboard. You could just do the math on there.

If I may suggest a site(not advertising), use: http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/
Hope this clears some things up
Hold the Heathen hammer high!
amassouharm
10 IQ
I have a problem (many actually, but one pertains to tuning my g-tar).

I recently restrung my guitar and made sure to get all of the slack out, and blah blah blah, but think i might have moved my bridge or somethin (it isn't fixed) and now i cant get it tuned properly. I mean, i can get the strings tuned EADGBe (against a piano) but the fifth fret on the E string doesn't match up exactly with the A string and so on-they are always just a bit off.

How can i get it back to normal? I never know which way to move the bridge, or even what to do.
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
Google "setting guitar intonation"

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
alfonzo99
Rides with no handlebars
426 IQ
How do I tune to E E B B B B?
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

Ninjamonkey767
897 IQ
I'm thinking of tuning my guitar up instead of down. But I'm wondering, how much tension can the strings withstand? How high up can I go before they snap? I'll probably just try F standard, but I'm afraid of breaking my only set of strings.
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
I'm thinking of tuning my guitar up instead of down. But I'm wondering, how much tension can the strings withstand? How high up can I go before they snap? I'll probably just try F standard, but I'm afraid of breaking my only set of strings.

Buy a capo.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Darkesrose33
10 IQ
My first post so dont kill me....
i'm trying to play songs by A Perfect Circle..
only been playing guitar for like 2 months now...
it seems like Billy Howerdel made his own tuning and i dont know how to tune my guitar to....
C# F# B E G# C#

anyone help me?
Madzää
Failing at n00b language
1,550 IQ
Dadgbd
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Phrequency
54 IQ
Didn't want to make a new thread, but I was wondering if it's better to tune an electric guitar with or without an amp...?
celldweller454
129 IQ
anyone wanna help me out here if ya have the time.

I know the whole idea how standard tuning works. Problem is someone who claims to know how to play wont get off me about what they claim is the right way.

D------------0--------------------
A-----0------5-------------------
E-----5--------------------------- (so on and so forth, starting at low e)

but this person who swears they are teaching me the right way dose it like this

D-----------------0------------------
A------0---------3------------------
E------3----------------------------(what? starting at high e?)

Is there any basis behind this. Like some other tuning that ive never heard of?

somebady please help me out here?
Last edited by celldweller454 at Feb 26, 2009,
t_man700
Good Apollo
67 IQ
Unless he is in some weird alternate tuning, then the 5-0 method starting at low E is correct, and your friend is wrong.
guitarman39
21 IQ
Thanks i've been looking for a 12 string tuning wrote out.Now I got my Epiphone Dr212 singing sweet.MANY MANY thanks.The kaki king tuning is great to for my 6 string.I like her playing a h#lluva lot( August Rush)
Musefan161
Hey, lets cross the sea..
358 IQ
I believe I made up my own tuning (don't shoot me if I didn't) but I don't know what it is. Any theory buffs want to figure out what this is because I don't know. I do know though that it is awesome and sounds very peaceful. Here it is:

(Low to High):

F F C G D F