Page 4 of 13
It's possible with heavier strings and the right setup.

I've gone down to C standard with 9s before and it's still been playable, so with heavier strings, A should be achievable.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus

I've gone down to C standard with 9s before and it's still been playable, so with heavier strings, A should be achievable.

Thanks..

Are the 7's usually longer in the neck (I've never played one) if you know?
I've never played one either, but I don't think so. You get baritone guitars which are longer in the neck, and are normally tuned to D I think.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quick question:

I'm working on a heavy metal song. I have the distortion guitar tuned to drop C. I was just wondering what open tuning I could tune a slide guitar to that would go with that.

Thanks,
--Jon
What exactly would be Em tuning?...i cant figure it out
2008 PRS Custom 24 in Blue Matteo
2007 PRS Paul Allender Signature
Boss GT-10
2007 Fender Marcus Miller Signature Bass
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II
Gallien-Krueger 810RBX

myspace.com/porcelainprovince
Quote by FrenchyFungus

I have 13's on my guitar. They're hard to find but it will play A with ease and it sounds good....11's will play A but its really, well, anus sounding, for lack of a better word.
2008 PRS Custom 24 in Blue Matteo
2007 PRS Paul Allender Signature
Boss GT-10
2007 Fender Marcus Miller Signature Bass
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II
Gallien-Krueger 810RBX

myspace.com/porcelainprovince
Quote by Satyriasis
What exactly would be Em tuning?...i cant figure it out

You sure you mean tuning and not key?

If so:

1. Tune the open A string to match the 3rd fret of the E string.
2. Tune the open D string to match the 5th fret of the A string.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^No, you can only tune up using a capo, they tune down.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
What's a good tuning to use with drop D? An open tuning or something, not standard, D standard or anything like that.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
^In all honesty I haven't a clue.

You could use just about any open tuning I think.

Try asking in Musician Talk, the theoryheads might know better.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
anyone know how to tune to E A D E E E?
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
I'd think it would be

1. Tune open G string to match the 2nd fret of the D string
2. Remove the B string and replace with another e string and tune to 12th fret of G string.

What song is it?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
get out of my yard by paul gilbert
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Oh, I see.

It's an odd one.

The three highest strings are tuned as:

E4
E3
E2

Which basically means, the g string needs to be replaced with a low E string, and the B string with a D string, then tuned to match the 12th fret of the new "G" string.

They are each an octave apart.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
ok, sounds complicated but no doubt i will manage it. thanks very much
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
yeah this is probably a dumb question, but i've got mine going C G C F A D and i'm gettin some major fret problems for the first three on every string, fret buzz...any suggestions?
Schecter C1 Fr
Schecter A1 Elite
hell yes.
Setup, bigger strings, raise action. ^
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
can any one tell me how many times i have to press the flat button on my chromatic tuner to get this tuning

1=C
2=G
3=D
4=A#
5=F
6=A#

its from come clarity by in flames

EDIT: actually im not sure if that is the right tuning tbh so many tabs wiv different tunings
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Last edited by Syn_66 at May 21, 2007,
That tuning for that song will work, although it seems that the band play it without dropping the E string the extra step (ie, they play C F A# D# G C rather than A# F A# D# G C)

Press it 4 times for the highest 5 strings, and 6 for the low A#

For the way they play it, just push it 4 times and tune regularly

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
cool beans cheers
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
eu, how do i tune my guitar into c a c g b e? i have this boos auto tuner, ct6, can i use that? please help, as i have no idea how to get it right...
thanks,
joey
Not sure how that tuner works, but you will be able to use it.

Play the 4th fret of the E string and tune to E
Play the 2nd fret of the D string and tune to D

Tune the other strings normally

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by Blawler
How would I tune to C maj7/11?

You sure that's the tuning?

Which song?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
How the hell do you tune down 1/2 step?

I am trying to learn A Tout le Monde, and I need to tune down 1/2 step to learn it.

All I have is the cheap start copy starter pack with a crappy cheap digital quartz tuner.

All I know how to tune is to standard tuning. The directions on the first page kind of suck for me because Im new. can anyone help me?
Quote by a19e86
How the hell do you tune down 1/2 step?

I am trying to learn A Tout le Monde, and I need to tune down 1/2 step to learn it.

All I have is the cheap start copy starter pack with a crappy cheap digital quartz tuner.

All I know how to tune is to standard tuning. The directions on the first page kind of suck for me because Im new. can anyone help me?

Easiest way is probably to fret each string at the first fret and tune normally.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by FrenchyFungus
You sure that's the tuning?

Which song?

I'm not sure exactly but after a bit of googling that's what it seemed to be refered to as the most.
The tuning was C G D G B C
That is an odd one

C G D G B D

1. Play the 9th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the 9th fret Low E to match the A string open.
2. Play the 7th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 7th fret Low E.
3. Play the 1st fret B string and the High E open. Retune the High E string to match the 1st fret B string.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Hey there, how would I go about tuning my guitar to:

C G D# A# F C

It's for Jimi Hendrix's Hear My Train Comin', really lovely song, can pretty much play through it but I don't think I'm tuning it right cause when I play with the song it sounds weird alot of times.

Thanks in advance.
^That's written high to low, rather than low to high.

Standard; Two whole steps down: C F Bb Eb G C - ( C F A# D# G C )

1. Play the 1st fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 1st fret Low E string.
2. Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.
3. Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.
4. Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.
5. Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.
6. Play the 5th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E to match the A string open.

Or capo 4th fret and tune normally.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Im not sure if this should be in this thread, but it is about tuning.
I've heard that if I leave my guitar in an alternate tuning, such as some lowered tuning, the neck will begin to move and cause fret buzz. My guitar is an omen-6, so it has a fixed bridge and a maple neck.
I change tunings frequently, and never go lower than C, so I don't know how much damage this will cause. Could I set my guitar up some way to minimize the effect alternate tunings have on my guitar?
^Either PM jj1565 or ask in the string changing thread, as I'm not sure, but she'll know.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I recently just broke a string off my guitar after getting new ones put on because of my carelessness on tuning my guitar. The only tuning device I have is the one in the Roland Cube 30X. What I was attempting to do was tune my guitar to a Drop C#. I had a hard time tuning sharps and flats. I just don't know when to stop.

If I were to get a normal tuner, such as a Korg or something. Do those things help tune in sharps and flats? If not, when will I know if its sharp or flat enough?
Alright, seeing as i almost never change tunings i need a bit of help, probably common sense but whatever.

How do i go about getting back to standard from a half step down?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Master Chief
I recently just broke a string off my guitar after getting new ones put on because of my carelessness on tuning my guitar. The only tuning device I have is the one in the Roland Cube 30X. What I was attempting to do was tune my guitar to a Drop C#. I had a hard time tuning sharps and flats. I just don't know when to stop.

If I were to get a normal tuner, such as a Korg or something. Do those things help tune in sharps and flats? If not, when will I know if its sharp or flat enough?

The majority of tuners are what are known as chromatic tuners, and they will do that.
Quote by igotabcrich32
Alright, seeing as i almost never change tunings i need a bit of help, probably common sense but whatever.

How do i go about getting back to standard from a half step down?

1. Play the 6th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune your A string to match the 6th fret Low E.
2. Play the 5th fret Low E and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E to match the A string open.
3. Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.
4. Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.
5. Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.
6. Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Double dropped
C G D G B e

"Iris"
D 1st
D 2nd
D 3rd
D 4th
D 5th
B 6th

"Name"
e 1st
A 2nd
A 3rd
D 4th
A 5th
D 6th
I have a Korg Guitar/Bass tuner, and I was wondering how many times I would push the flat button for each string to obtain a Drop B tuning (B F# B E G# C#).

Thanks.