Page 5 of 13
Low B = 5
Other 5 strings = 3
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Thanks so much Frenchy, thats what i thought it was, but i didnt really want to try it.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I have a question about tuning.

I want to tune my standard tuned guitar to C#, G#, E, B, F#, B to get a low sound. What I want to play is this song, Filth in the Beauty by the Gazette (check out youtube if you want). And apparently, the correct tuning in the Guitar Pro tab are those 6 notes.

So for my

6th string I would drop it down 1 1/2 notes.
5th string down 1/2 note.
4th string (up one note or down 6 notes, this is where i'm confused).
3rd string (up two notes or down 5 notes)
2nd string down 3 notes.
1st string up 4 notes or down 3 notes.

Now my problem is, I broke 2 strings already from careless tuning. And everytime I go down my 4th or 3rd note or up my 3rd or 4th note, I keep on getting this feeling that the string is going to snap or loosen up too much.

Can you guys tell me what to do?
^You've got it back to front.

the tuning is B F* B E G* C*

(my hash key isn't working )

which is on the first page.

It's down 3 half steps, with the lowest string being down 5 half steps

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
^You've got it back to front.

the tuning is B F* B E G* C*

(my hash key isn't working )

which is on the first page.

It's down 3 half steps, with the lowest string being down 5 half steps

OH so thats why things weren't working properly! Thanks a lot!
hey whats up. I have an audition today and the band says that the songs they're using is in standard tuning dropped down a minor third. Exactly what does that mean?

I found a tuning guide that says minor third tuning is C D# F# A C D# is this what they're referring to?
It'd be C standard.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by renk
hey whats up. I have an audition today and the band says that the songs they're using is in standard tuning dropped down a minor third. Exactly what does that mean?

I found a tuning guide that says minor third tuning is C D# F# A C D# is this what they're referring to?

oh I figured out what they were talking about it's a whole step and a half down tune either way you everyone should try out the tuning above it sound kind of like an organ or a piano playing a minor chord
^Just as well you figured it out, it's actually C* standard (my hash key still not work)

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
E diminished chord E Bb C# G Bb E
1:play string 6 (Low E)on the 6th fret tune string 5 (A string ) up to match string 6

2:tune string 2 (B string ) to match string 5 (A string )

3: Play string 5 (A string ) on the 3rd fret , tune string 3 (G string to match ) String 5
I believe this is the spot for this since it involves tuning so here goes nothing. I just purchased a Dean Razorback and its got the floyd rose liscenced tremolo on it. I have never used a tremolo system like this before to tune and I am having quite a bit of trouble. I unlock the locks up by the headstock and tune two strings at a time before re-locking and un-locking the next one. the Bas of the tremolo wasn't parallell to the body but for some odd reason it seems as though it decided to fix itself and now it is. Heres the problem. I'm getting better at getting the strings tuned that when I lock them they at the right note, not sharp or flatted. It's after that it comes out of tune almost immediatly, and I'll mess around with the fine tuners for a bit till its back in but then not too much later its back out again >_<. Any suggestions for tuning a tremolo system like this? Oh one other thing, I did start leaving the whammy bar off thinking maybe the locks were not tightning right but it still goes to what Ill call its own tuning and stays there (some notes flat others sharped)
^never having used one, I don't wanna give bad advice.

Ask in the restringing thread, I think jj1565 goes in there, and she knows her ****.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
ok so i looked at all the tunings and i cant find how to get into

B G B E A D

(G,A,D are flat)

could someone tell me how to get into this using a tuner that only shows standard tuning?

if it helps this is how powertab shows it:

D(flat)4
A(flat)3
E3
B2
G(flat)2
B1

if someone can help me then ur a god lol.........
Hello guys! I have been trying to do C# F# B E G# C# But my ear just isnt developed enough and I cant get it to sound... Yes I do know my string letters and frets but I cant get this damn tuning to sound right... And I really want to play "The Red" by Chevelle... Is there anyway I can do it with a tuner?
Standard; One and half steps down: Db Gb Cb Fb Ab Db - ( C# F# B E G# C# )

1. Play the 2nd fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 2nd fret Low E string.
2. Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.
3. Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.
4. Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.
5. Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.
6. Play the 5th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E to match the A string open.

Turn up the distortion, and listen for a phasing sort of sound. It's hard to describe, but once you hear it it's unmistakeable.

When you are in tune, there should be no 'phasing' at all.

Hope that helped.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

1. Play the 2nd fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 2nd fret Low E string.
2. Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.
3. Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.
4. Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.
5. Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.
6. Play the 5th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E to match the A string open.

Turn up the distortion, and listen for a phasing sort of sound. It's hard to describe, but once you hear it it's unmistakeable.

When you are in tune, there should be no 'phasing' at all.

Hope that helped.

I tried that this morning... Didn't work lol
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hold each string down at the 3rd fret and tune as normal.

Thank you!!!!
My tuning problem(s):

At the moment, I'm tuning my guitar. It's an epiphone les paul junior guitar. I got it in the mail two days ago, and I've been practicing with it about 10 hours a day to get the whole grasp of playing the electric guitar. When I started playing it today, I noticed a rattle. I didn't really know what the rattle was.

The rattle started to go away when I changed the position of the bridge; it also changed when I tightened the strings with the tuning knobs. However, it doesn't seem like I can actually get an E on my sixth string. If I try to get an E by adjusting the bridge and/or knobs, the string gets loose enough to rattle. Now, since I know a guitar won't sound too good if it rattles, I don't know what to do. I can't seem to get the perfect mixture of knob-turning and bridge positioning.

At the moment, I've been using what I call a "cheating method," which those more trained probably have a term for. I've been tightening the sixth just enough so it doesn't rattle. Afterwards, I have been using the standard-tuning method to tune the rest of the strings: go to next string, copy sound from closed 5th fret on other string, repeat with others, etc.

This, however, makes me think my guitar is somehow in tune, but it isn't correctly in tune. In other words, the guitar sounds like it's going from low to high. However, it doesn't sound like it's EADGBE.

Is there something I can do to make my instrument correctly intune while not having the rattle from loose strings? I tried finding a way for a good for four hours, but no pattern really seemed to work. The best I could do was keep raising the left part of the bridge, would would be the part next to the 6-5-4 strings.

Any ideas, cures, treatments, solutions, or comments on this?
Last edited by Agent-X at Jul 12, 2007,
^The rattle is caused by the strings hitting against the frets, normally called fret buzz.

Raise the action (height of the strings) and it should sort itself
Hello everyone!
Trial and error doesn't seem to be working here..
Basically, I know how to tune, blah blah blah, no problem.
But what is a problem, is changing the tuning on a guitar with a Floyd Rose Bridge.
When I tune down, the bridge sinks into the body, due to the decrease in tention.. and I end up in standard tuning again, with less freedom of the whammy bar and a lot of fret buzz.

Someone told me I need to change the intonation of the bridge, is that right?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Hello All,
hopefully you guys can help an old fart out....Ive been tring to find this tuning somewhere without any luck. c# g# e b f# c#
close as I can figure its something like
low E 8th fret open to A open
then C#7 8 7 7 7

could someone verify this for me please
a perfect circle "hollow" for those who are wondering
^You've got that back to front.

Low to high it's C# F# B E G# C#

Which you can get from:

How do you do the Zakk Wylde "Drop A"

It's: A G C F A D

I know how to tune down the strings to D Standard but how do you tune the low D string to A?
im 17 years old & i've been playing the electric guitar for about a month now and haven't played alot lately since i've been working alot trying to get money to pay off the credit card that my parents used to buy my guitar for me.

now i've finally payed it off so i finally have some quality time to spend on my guitar and would like to start by tuning it. now i've recently bought a $25(canadian money) electronic auto tuner and i know im supposed to plug my chord into the guitar and then into the tuner and all that basic stuff. my only problem is what string to press because i've heard some people say you should play open strings and tighten or loosen if its a red light and its fine if its a green light. i.e. 6th string open=5 string and 5th fret etc. but there are only 5 open string patterns and there are 6 strings on my guitar so im wondering if when pluck the string to see if its in tune, should i just pluck the string over the body without my other hand even touching the neck/fretboard or should i be playing a string on the body along with holding down a string on the fretboard.

p.s. im not the best at explaining nor am i best at understanding things so if you wanna help but dont understand what im trying to say, feel free to lemme know. i'll do anything to learn how to properly tune my guitar.
If you're using a tuner, just pluck the string without touching it.

The 5th fret thing is for tuning without a tuner.
I play a lot of songs with drop D tuning... whats the easiest way to tune to drop D? (I have a tuner)

I just play 6th string 7th harmonic and tune it to match 5th string 12th harmonic at the moment...it's not hard at all, I'm just lazy
^ I just play my D string and my low E open at the same time and downtune the E to make it sound like the D, isn't that the easiest way?
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Tune to D standard, then tune the 10th fret of your E string to match the open A string.

You mean tune the 10th fret of the low D string to sound like the high A string?
pewp

Okay when it comes to tuning I'm a complete retard so forgive me for asking this because its probably a really easy thing to do.
I have a really crappy electric tuner which hardly ever works so i usually try and tune by ear or go over my friends and use his. I want to learn this song which is E G D D B e tuning and I don't have a clue how do go about that, if someone could tell me I would really appreciate it,
Thanks
1. Play 3rd fret of E string and the open A string. Retune the A string to match the E string.
2. Play the D string open and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the D string.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I was wondering, what is the ideal way to achieve a tuning with three E's, in octaves, next to each other (ala Paul Gilbert)?

Is the only safe way to remove all the strings and only put in a low E string, a D string tuned to an E, and a high E string? Or is it possible with a standard/light guage without too much/little tension in the strings?

Thanks
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
I think the best option is to leave 6 strings on if possible, to keep the tension if you plan on leaving it like that for a while.

But yeah, a low E, a D and a high E are what you want to use. There's a video of Gilbert doing that song on YouTube, check it out to see how he arranged the strings.

Asking in one of the threads in the Shred forum might be an idea, see if anyone's done it before.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez