Hey everyone,

I got an EMG 81 installed in one of my guitars today and I just have a couple of questions about it.

1) How to I prevent the pup from draining the battery when I'm not playing? Do I need to unplug the battery or just the cable? Will turning down the volume pots help?

2) How do I know when the battery is dying? Will there be any signs or will it just die? How oftern should I replace it to keep it sounding at its best?

3) Does the pup still work if the battery is flat? Will it work at all?

4) I've heard a battery should last between 6months and a year - depending on the amount of use - is that about right?

I know these are relatively easy questions, but i just want to make sure..... So that it doesnt die at a gig or practice......

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Unplugging the battery would help save battery life, but it would become tedious doing it every time.

I'M NOT SURE, but I think if you pull the cable out of the jack, it opens the circuit, and a current cannot flow from the battery. Once again, I am NOT SURE.

When the battery runs out, it will sound really weak, cos the pickup itself isn't very strong. The active circuit is what makes it powerful.
1. just unplug your guitar cable. Plugging in the jack actually completes the ground connection, and allows the circuit to get power.

2. the output starts to get a little flat sounding, things don't sound as crisp, enough that you might mess with your eq thinking it's that. I've never had one actually die, I change them every 6-12 mo or so, depending how much I play that guitar. They don't just die, they just start sounding worse, so you will notice.

3. nothing will work with a completely dead battery, you would notice it far in advance though, it doens't just die. Actually, I don't know, I've never had one completely die.

4. Yes. You can also wire in a battery in parrallel, and it will extend the life over what one battery would last. You can also wire them in series for 18V across the circuit, and it's supposed to give "crisper transients and increased headroom" according to EMG. I use the 18V where I have more than 2 humbucking actives.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Sep 22, 2006,
Unreal - Thanks for that guys

Problem Solved

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator