I just bought a Traynor YCV40, and the clean channel has some static on it, its very quiet, but somewhat annoying. Does anyone know what could be causing this.
Quote by Macank
^^ strat? i want to get a stratocaster sound though!!

Fender Classic 60's Strat
Yamaha AES 720 (On the way!!!)
Ibanez GAX 30
Traynor YCV 40
Boss DS-1
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ibanez CF-7
Ibanez DE-7
Sit/stand further from the amp. If it really bugs you, buy a noise gate (ISP Noise Decimator FTW).
if you play next to a TV or computer screen, turn off the screen.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify, this noise happens all the time, that is, wether there is a guitar plugged in or not. Im not standing all that close to the amp, and the closest computer monitor thats on is at lease 10 feet away
Quote by Macank

Ibanez GAX 30
Traynor YCV 40
Boss DS-1
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ibanez CF-7
Ibanez DE-7
You have a microphonic tube, in that case. Probably preamp, but maybe power tube.
Hi, I'm Peter
Ok, what does that mean, and how do i go about fixing it? sorry, im a bit of a noob on the whole Tube Amp thing
Quote by Macank

Ibanez GAX 30
Traynor YCV 40
Boss DS-1
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ibanez CF-7
Ibanez DE-7
You don't fix it, per se. You just isolate the tube (if you can) and replace it (or replace every tube, but that's kind of like cutting off your jaw to deal with a toothache). How old is the amp? And did you get it new or used?
Hi, I'm Peter
Could be electrical interference from something nearby, is it near the PC or dimmer lights or somethin?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Could be electrical interference from something nearby, is it near the PC or dimmer lights or somethin?

I could be, but you generally hear that through the guitar, not in the amp itself without the guitar plugged in. That's my experience, at least.
Hi, I'm Peter
Your problem isn't for certain a microphonic tube. If you want to check microphonics in your tubes, lightly tap (and I mean LIGHTLY) on the tube with a pencil. If you hear the "tink" sound come out of the speaker, then there might be a problem with microphonics. Static noise can usually be generated by many things. It's good that you've found that the noise happens even when nothing is plugged in. Is the static constant (like a hiss) or is it intermittent? If it's intermittent, you could have the following problems...

1. Bad power - The electrical in your house (or wherever you're plugging into) could be "dirty", that is there's something fluctuating in the power that's causing the amp to produce static. Try plugging it in to different outlets to see if it makes a difference.

2. Poor shielding in the amp - the amp could be picking up stray RF signals. The solution to this would be to further shield the amplifier chassis.

3. Faulty output transformer/caps/power tubes - it's rare, but it's happened to my amp twice in the last year. As the transformer goes bad, it's power output fluctuates and causes static that can be heard through the speaker.

If the hiss is constant, then 1 and 2 still apply...can't really think of anything else right now. Is is a hiss/static noise, or a buzzing noise? Plug your guitar in and turn the volume up, then hold the guitar in front of your TV for reference so you can hear the difference.