Well i thought my JCM900 soudned to modern and was lacking in the crunch. Im thinking about changing the tubes, so i talk to Lewis ( for the help) and he says its enough if i change the Phase inverter tube. So today i got an Electro Harmonix 12AY7 and get home and screw apart my amp (pics soon to come) and replace it. I plug in and wow! It wonders! My JCM900 has gotten alot more Plexi like sounds. Channel one with gain less then is a great clean sound. With gain on 5 you get a great Vox kind of sound, the typical sound of an amp "just" breaking up and with the Strat it sounds likes Hendrix "The Wind Cries Mary" and very bluesy with the neck pickup, and very classic british sound with the bridge pickup. With gain on about 7- 8 it has very classic rock sound, similar to AC/DC's studio sound and on 10 it has a very agressive classic rock sound, like a Plexi on 10 (remebr to crank the volume to) and nails tones such Led Zeppelin, AC/DC's live sound and so on. The second channel sounds like an averege 80's hard rock and hair metal band and works great for Van Halen, Ozzy and GNR. My JCM ahs become what i wanted it to be!

I haven't got any recording equipment so im sorry no soundclips (atleast not yet)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Right on, it's strange how such a simple thing can change the tone so much...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^Yeah. Im gonan do a diode mod and make them switchable later on to.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

very cool Gabe, it is interesting how just a little change like that can affect the overall sound. I went in the opposite direction with my Mark IV, I replaced the 12AT7 with a 12AX7 to make it a little more ratty sounding, and it made it really pissed off.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^YEah, but its interesting how much change it does, but it it really does alot.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^What is the difference between the MK. 3 and the other ones?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

You can also install a switch to go from a 12AX7 to a lesser gain tube in the phase inverter position such as here:

^That is seriously cool Gutch! I want one!

Quote by Gabel
^What is the difference between the MK. 3 and the other
ones?

The 900 is radically different in my opinion

Firstly (MOST NOT ALL) Dual Reverbs come with 5881's (6L6's) which are brittle and lifeless (but tight) at higher volumes.
But i think you have EL34's in your Gabe?

These are made sooooo like the 800's, its unreal.

The bass is much thicker and heavier, i had to have it on 10 on the DR to get anything, now its about 6max!
The mids are far mode sensitive and have to be balanced more with the Presence and Treble, makes a huge difference
Mine is 100watt with switch down to 50w, but the 100watt is far tighter and heavier, the 50w for me is too loose.

It has no reverb, which is a pain sometimes as it use to fill out the sound a bit more, but the Mk3 does that anyway.

It is also quieter

I will go through it again and keep you posted