Hi
I am planning on buying a bass guitar. I haven't played any other musical instruments before and I really don't know much about notes. But i just love the sound of bass and the way it is played. Okey, first question, can I start learing bass from scratch or do i have to know how to play a regular acustic guitar? Then is it possible to learn bass on your own or is taking lessons a must have? Which guitar to buy, I have done some research but still need advice , which one is better and more useful to a beginner 4 string or 5 string (i listen to Heavy metal ( METALLICA YEEAAAHHHH) and so on).
Then is Harley Benton a good company or a really crappy one?( these are the cheapest guitars i found in a e-store in my country). And is buying a big bass amp really necessary or can i start with just a small ,,fit in you pocket'' amp with headphones or regular stereo speakes.

These are basically the questions I need advice on. Plzzz i really really would like to play bass. Any info is welcome.
THX AND ROCK ONNNNN
four string, Cliff and Jason used them, but Trujillo uses five and six...

you don't need to play acoustic guitar, but it can't hurt much(excluding barre chords )

I'd recommend squier, but find out the wood and check back here...

you don't need lessons, but they help

and yes, I will rock on
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
four string, Cliff and Jason used them, but Trujillo uses five and six...

I've never seen trujillo use 6 stringers, when does he?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
check out peavey or squiers basses, it's good to start on a 4 string, 5-strings are for advanced players. As for amps, a 15-20 watt will do, look at behringers or SWRs, you dont need anything big when you're just starting. Ampegs are sweet if you can spare the cash. And knowing the basics of guitar does help a lot, but isn't required.
Quote by Forcemaster
I've never seen trujillo use 6 stringers, when does he?
read it somewhere, might have been bollocks... =/
No need, to learn guitar. Bass players at your level wont play chords, so that won't benefit you as much as focusing on bassin it up. No bigger than 100 watt amp probably. Ibanez GSR200s and Suiers are good for beginners, or used bass that is more upscale (Don't be turned off by used). Just try em out, find what you like. If you need help in your playing, just come here
Well since no one else has posted it.....Rondo makes some excellent basses for the price. Much better than Squier IMO.
Another question : is it a good idea to start playing with this --> ( NOBELS bass Mycro headphone amplifier, exercise amplifier in breast pocket format, adjustment possibilities Flat, normal, Brif#ght, belt tie-clip, inclusive Headphone can be connected also f. amplifier or recording equipment, power by 9V batterie (incl.) ) <--- or with a regular amp
smthing like this --->Behringer BT108 Behringer BT108 Bass Combo,Small size 15-Watt Basscombo with VTC-Technologie Virtual Tube-, 2 channel, 4-Band EQ, 8" speaker, CD Input, Headphone out <---

The main reason why i am asking this is because the regular amp is more expensive than the small one.
Last edited by wanttoplaybass at Sep 24, 2006,
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
read it somewhere, might have been bollocks... =/

Cliff used all 4's, but Jason & Robert are primarily 5'ers.
haha
lol dude ur thinking too complicated

forget about the special features for now umm... are you playing with neighbors who might be annoyed? (or anyone else for that matter) If so, go with the headphone for now. If you're playing gigs or just jamming with a band at home, get the combo. If you're AIMING to play gigs, get the combo.
4 string, no, you can start from scratch (i played a bit of piano and guitar before bass, forgotten everythign bout them notes though
i got one from scratch, but it might help to learn notes, cause readin tabs can sometimes get confusing.
Quote by HailFender
4 string, no, you can start from scratch (i played a bit of piano and guitar before bass, forgotten everythign bout them notes though
i know, i din't say you couldn't...
i just started a few days ago, but i played guitar before. I have a fender rumble 15 watt white is actually pretty decent considering how much i payed for it. i dont htink you need lessons to start with, unless you're really lost