I currently have a frontman 15r which I use with a fender stratocaster. I am looking to buy a new amp for around $200-250. I only use it in my living room and I play classic rock (led zeppelin, ac/dc, etc.), rock (audioslave, soundgarden, etc.) , and metal (iron maiden, metallica, etc.). About a month ago I bought a vox valvetronix 30vt but returned it. The distortion lacked even as good of a crunch sound as my fender and it sounded muddy to me. So pretty much what I want it to do is:

1. Sound better at higher volumes (not really high) than my frontman. (the frontman sounds pretty good turned down really low but sounds bad as I turn it up)

2. Have a good distortion, better than the ad30vt.

I was thinking of getting the roland cube 30? Is that a good idea? Does anyone else have any other recommendations?
i own a cube 30 for about 6 months now, and im verry happy with it. Its great for rock and metal. but you might need to play a little with the knobs to get the sound that you want.
HAHA THANK YOU SO MUCH CHEESE PUFF!!!!!!!!!! i wil blow ur dinkzor, but it comes at a price

There is a cube 30x model which u might consider
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
I just checked the 30x model on roland's website but i don't see it being sold on musiciansfriend.com or guitarcenter.com. Is it already out?
HHmm u might have to goto shops and check it out der! Or there is this store called swee lee which I think shuld stock it. Nevertheless I think if u look hard enough u could find it Where do ya live anyways? Because if u goto any product online manual the second last page contains a list of dealers around the world
Quote by hendo123456789
I live close to a sam ash and a guitarcenter. On the Roland website, it doesn't have the product manual for the 30x version yet.

I have seen people say that the cube is just good for metal. Is it also good for rock like audioslave?
Epi Valve Junior?

It's not bad for the money =)
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
cubes are only good for metal. if you buy one make sure you dont outgrow your metal interests
Ibanez RG770DX /w Floyd Rose & Stock Pickups
Aria AK-80 Classical Concert Guitar
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Heet Sound Ebow
or give me your fender and i will give you my ibanez
Ibanez RG770DX /w Floyd Rose & Stock Pickups
Aria AK-80 Classical Concert Guitar
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Heet Sound Ebow
Thanks for all the responses. Can't you turn down the gain some on the cube for a rock tone? I don't really understand why it is just good for metal. Please enlighten me.
Quote by michaelcyborg
cubes are only good for metal.

Umm no? Jump off the bandwagon plz.

Quote by stephen_s
Thanks for all the responses. Can't you turn down the gain some on the cube for a rock tone? I don't really understand why it is just good for metal. Please enlighten me.

Theyre great for everything dood. Dont listen to the masses man! But try out the Cube and see if it fits your tastes.
You will have to try out the amps and tweak ur tone to check if it fits YOUR tone.

Goto the roland website, go check the micro cube, there u will find a product manual for micro cube which has a dealer list on the second last page or so, check it there. They might give u a number of a dealer in another state, but call them and they will re-direct you or help you out. And if u buy from a dealer, they might give u at a good price, but u wont get to try out the amp, they usualyy just let u buy it straight away because its not a showroom environment.

Although I havnt tried the 30x cube, so I dont know if it could handle anything else. I suggest u try it at some showroom before buying it. The dealer might direct u a showroom where to try it.

IMO drop the metal tone. I fail to undersand why Vox didnt satisfy you.
Quote by hendo123456789
Alright, thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate the input. I will go try it out at guitar center. Thanks again.