Ummm...so I'm in the process of learning music theory, and I read two different lessons on the major scale, and both of the lessons only gave the example in the key of G. So after soaking it all in, I decided to figure out the scale in other keys. I did F, E, and G. When I was done with those three, I realized that they all followed the exact same pattern as the scale in G. Am I doing something wrong or does the pattern remain the same when transferring from key to key(except on different notes).
What do you mean here? It's kind of hard to decipher whether or not you're talking about a finger pattern on the fretboard or something else, you know? What kind of pattern?

Maybe if you elaborated on that..
Quote by TooLateForRoses
Ummm...so I'm in the process of learning music theory, and I read two different lessons on the major scale, and both of the lessons only gave the example in the key of G. So after soaking it all in, I decided to figure out the scale in other keys. I did F, E, and G. When I was done with those three, I realized that they all followed the exact same pattern as the scale in G. Am I doing something wrong or does the pattern remain the same when transferring from key to key(except on different notes).

The pattern will stay the same when moving from key to key. Nothing's wrong.
Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing everything up in the beginning!
Crap, I now think I'm doing it wrong. In the lesson on this site, the guy put it in G as

E|---------------------------2-3--|
B|-----------------------3-5------|
G|-----------------2-4-5---------|
D|-----------2-4-5---------------|
A|-----2-3-5---------------------|
E|-3-5----------------------------|

I assumed from the above that because G is the first note played, that's the root note. But, I read over the lesson on Zentao again, and he has this as the major scale in the key of C

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/major-scale.html

So now I don't know which pattern to follow, and if the one on zentao is correct I don't understand how to switch keys with the scale, if the root note isn't the first one played. (unless it's always the 5th note played.)
^That's simply a different fingerboard pattern of the C Major scale, same scale - but the first note on the low E string is an F, not a C - the first note on the low E is irrelevant, really - unless you want to call that position F Lydian.

Take the notes in that scale... F - G - A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A - Every single note in the C Major scale. Just with the lowest note of the position being an F.

That's why it's dangerous to learn scales in box positions using the low E note as a root note reference... you get confused, quickly.
I'm still confused on how to determine the root note. I mean, if it's in the key of A, how do you know which A to choose as the root note? Would it be the 5th fret on the E string, open on the A string, or the 7th fret on the D string. It would make sense for the first note you hit to be the 5th fret on E (A) first and go from there, using this pattern

E|---------------------------------4-5--|
B|----------------------------5-7-------|
G|---------------------4-6-7-----------|
D|-------------4-6-7-------------------|
A|------4-5-7--------------------------|
E|-5-7----------------------------------|

As that (I think) follows the WWHWWWH pattern...

But the zentao dude's doesn't seem to follow that pattern...

EDIT: Also, I didn't mean the first note on the E string, I meant the first note played on the E string, my bad.
Quote by TooLateForRoses
I'm still confused on how to determine the root note. I mean, if it's in the key of A, how do you know which A to choose as the root note?
All of the A's are the root note.
Yes I understand that, I'm just having trouble conveying what I don't understand. Basically I just need someone to explain to me which pattern is correct. If it's the first, I won't have anymore questions. If it's the second, then I want to know why it doesn't soudn right and why it starts on "F", rather than G, as I would think the G Major Scale would start.
Quote by TooLateForRoses
Yes I understand that, I'm just having trouble conveying what I don't understand. Basically I just need someone to explain to me which pattern is correct. If it's the first, I won't have anymore questions. If it's the second, then I want to know why it doesn't soudn right and why it starts on "F", rather than G, as I would think the G Major Scale would start.
The big diagram from that website is C major. The box is the root note. It doesn't start on C because it shows all notes in C that are in that area of the fretboard.
So this
is the C Major Scale,
and this isn't?

E|---------------------------2-3--|
B|-----------------------3-5------|
G|-----------------2-4-5---------|
D|-----------2-4-5---------------|
A|-----2-3-5---------------------|
E|-3-5----------------------------|

I'm sorry I'm having so much trouble with this guys, it's just not registering for me.
WAIT A SECOND!!!! I think I may understand what you just said now. All of those extra notes are also in that key, but they aren't a part of the pattern per se? (maybe?)
Scales are not patterns. Scales are vocabularies of notes in a specific order. Patterns are just a way of playing those notes

In C major, the notes are C D E F G A and B. So if you are playing in C major, you can play any of those notes anywhere on the neck and you will still be in the key of C major.
Yes, I understand that, and when I do so, the scale in G, looks like the little tab I posted, rather than the picture I posted form zentao. I'm just going to spell it out and ask you guys if this is right.

Is this the G Major Scale?
E|----------------------------------2-3--|
B|-----------------------------3-5-------|
G|----------------------2-4-5-----------|
D|--------------2-4-5-------------------|
A|------2-3-5---------------------------|
E|-3-5-----------------------------------|

Is this the A Major Scale?

Is this the B Major Scale?
E|---------------------------------6-7--|
B|----------------------------7-9-------|
G|---------------------6-8-9-----------|
D|-------------6-8-9-------------------|
A|------6-8-9--------------------------|
E|-7-9----------------------------------|

Is this the C Major Scale?
E|-----------------------------------------7-8--|
B|----------------------------------8-10-------|
G|-------------------------7-9-10-------------|
D|---------------7-9-10-----------------------|
A|------7-9-10--------------------------------|
E|-8-10----------------------------------------|

etc, etc...
Quote by TooLateForRoses
Yes, I understand that, and when I do so, the scale in G, looks like the little tab I posted, rather than the picture I posted form zentao. I'm just going to spell it out and ask you guys if this is right.

Is this the G Major Scale?
E|----------------------------------2-3--|
B|-----------------------------3-5-------|
G|----------------------2-4-5-----------|
D|--------------2-4-5-------------------|
A|------2-3-5---------------------------|
E|-3-5-----------------------------------|
Yes.

Is this the A Major Scale?
Yes.

Is this the B Major Scale?
E|---------------------------------6-7--|
B|----------------------------7-9-------|
G|---------------------6-8-9-----------|
D|-------------6-8-9-------------------|
A|------6-8-9--------------------------|
E|-7-9----------------------------------|
No. It would be B major if the A string sequence were 6-7-9.

Is this the C Major Scale?
E|-----------------------------------------7-8--|
B|----------------------------------8-10-------|
G|-------------------------7-9-10-------------|
D|---------------7-9-10-----------------------|
A|------7-9-10--------------------------------|
E|-8-10----------------------------------------|
No. It would be C major if the A string sequence were 7-8-10.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Oh, my bad. Thanks man. I actually play them the way you said, it's just I got it mixed up when transferring from my head to the keyboard. Thanks though! Now I can continue to expand my knowledge of music theory!