I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I just decided to put .11's on (went from .09's. Seeing how I've never messed around with the intonation of a Tune-O-Matic bridge, I decided to mess around with the intonators a bit to see how easy they were to move (I'm at school and I only brought a large flathead with me). I randomly chose the 4th string, detuned it, took it out of the saddle, and moved the intonator up and down a couple times just to test the waters.

After I did this, I noticed that my 4th string got buzzy... think of the attack of a Sitar's buzz. I set the action ridiculously high but it still buzzed. I thought it was a bad string and decided to go ahead and put on the .11's.

I put them on, tuned them up and decided to check the intonation on the strings. All the strings were okay except for the 4th string. It's way flat and it's STILL buzzing like crazy when all the others aren't.

I decide to fix the intonation on the 4th string and see if that won't solve the buzzing problem. I keep setting the intonator closer to the neck, but the intonation stays the same. Finally at the dead end of the saddle, the intonation is still way off and very noticable.

Any ideas of what happened here?

edit: forgot to mention that now whenever I play higher up on the 4th string, I get that weird beat-phase thing like you get to tune your guitar by harmonics, except I'm dead certain that there aren't any other strings vibrating. I am so confused.
is the saddle off its track, or loose?

did u string correctly? is it only the one string giving u the problem?

how are u checking intonation? is it hitting any frets?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The saddle seems just as solid and aligned as the others, and they're D'adarrio strings, so unless I'm colorblind and can't tell between a .028 and .038, they're in order. I'm checking the intonation at open, 1st harmonic, and the 12th fret with one of those Korg GA-30 tuners.
check the fretted 12th vs the 12th harmonic.
and then if ur having no luck, open string vs the fretted 12th.

remember to tune the open between adjustments.

ur getting the others to match up right?
if u are then maybe tripple check that u have the correct string there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

The others are spot-on with the intonation. I can play an E chord starting at the 12th fret and everything is in tune except the 4th string. I'm 100% positive it's in the right place, as it's not as thick as the 5th.
how far off is the intonation? is it something where u could flip the saddle to give urself a little more room?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It's off by about a quarter of a tone. Pretty awful. I thought about switching the saddle around, but I'd really rather not do that unless I absolutely have to, because I'm about a 4 hour walk to the nearest place that sells strings.
can u take a picture of ur bridge?

and for the most part, are the saddles lined up or is that strings saddle obviously posed at one side.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Okay, I just switched the bridge around, the D string is now laying in the saddle that the G string used to be in. I haven't adjusted the intonation yet but it is still making the sitar-like buzz sound. I am completely lost right now, especially with the beating it makes when I fret it higher up on the neck.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be going on here?
you switched ur strings around?

and buzz usually means the bridge is too low.

i thought we were just dealing with one string's tuning.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It's a combination of weird, ****ed up problems with my 4th string that started happening after I messed around with the intonator.

1) The intonation is flat even with the intonator as close as possible to the neck.
2) The string makes a real attack-ful buzz that sounds kinda like a sitar when I pluck it.
3) The string has a weird out of phase beat to it when I play high on the neck and I'm positive no other strings are vibrating.
it really sounds like that string is hitting something.
move the saddle back to where the others are. make sure its the correct gauge for that string,
make sure its not hitting any frets.

other than that, maybe make sure its not rattling in the nut.
and that the tuner is tight for it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62