Hey, folks. I havent modded ever, and am sick of my squier strat.
(yea, i know, shut up) and rather than shell out the money to get a brand new guitar, i have thought about changing the pickups. Anyway, is it possible to get humbuckers on a strat for under $200?
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
to get some humbuckers you'd end up spending 150. for the pickups alone. Depending on what you're looking for. I got a completely wired pickguard with extremely powerful pickups for my strat for about eighty bucks. The only mod i had to do was sand a little bit of the wood down so they wouldn't be on an angle
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Plus Gold top
Ibanez RDGR bass
Kramer Focus111s
.88mm
Glass slide
k, so any reccomendations to keep the modding under 200?

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
do what i did. If you want the Ebay store i can' give it to you. Or you could get hot rails for strats. I don't know how those cost. You knwo what those are right?
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Plus Gold top
Ibanez RDGR bass
Kramer Focus111s
.88mm
Glass slide
putting humbuckers in a strat is blasphamy!! get some texas specials, they sound great, or you could put hot rails in it, if you play classic rock/blues go with the texas specials, if you play metal and stuff get the hot rails
also a great low cost alternative is to use gfs pickups found at www.guitarfetish.com
Quote by PunxRckr
do what i did. If you want the Ebay store i can' give it to you. Or you could get hot rails for strats. I don't know how those cost. You knwo what those are right?

Umm, no. could you tell me? And sure, send me the ebay store.

you can also jsut put in one humbucker in the bridge. it'll keep you under 100 bucks.
meh, in my opinion, if its hard hard wood its crap, but if its an alder squier you might have a chance.

put in a JEM config and do an HSH config.
I'm back. No-one knew I left anyway. Do you even know who I am?
Quote by Slashfan_666
meh, in my opinion, if its hard hard wood its crap, but if its an alder squier you might have a chance.

put in a JEM config and do an HSH config.

sorry, i've never modded. can you put this in english?

New squires are usually made of a wood called agathis. People regard that as a step above plywood. Basically he's saying that you can do all the electronics work you want but it wont sound as good as the same mods done on an alder strat body.
Quote by cashewchaching
sorry, i've never modded. can you put this in english?

what he means is that most squires, or a lot anyway are made out of plywood or something like that which is a very poor tonewood i.e. making new pickups a waste of time. But, as he pointed out some squires are made out of Alder (the affinity series or better or something like that, i dont really know much about it) in which case it would be worth getting new pickups, provided you were happy with the neck etc.

anyway, id get some dimarzio HS-3's, dont worry about changin the middle