Ok here is my problem:

I live in an ancient farmhouse. All my wiring is 2-wire without a ground wire. There isn't even a ground wire coming from the ground pin outside to the ground strip in my electrical panel. I live in the United States. My guitar and amp sound great at anybodies house with "up-to-date" wiring.

This causes severe buzzing from my amp whenever I switch to the drive channel or turn the gain up at all.

My question is what do i need to do to fix this? I tried running a wire from the ground terminal on the plug that I use for my amp to a ground pin outside. This had no effect. I also tried hooking the wire to a cold water pipe. This also had no effect on the buzzing.

This is driving me crazy!! I just want to play some guitar loud and I can;t without getting a headache.

Please Help!!!!
starter equiptment will buzz more than upgraded gear.

with that said, also make sure there arent any dimmer lights, computer monitors, fans or other electric devices on near ur setup.

you can try a noise reduction pedal. but thats going to cost more then ur rig.

ur probably going o have to put up with it until u upgrade.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

with that said, also make sure there arent any dimmer lights, computer monitors, fans or other electric devices on near ur setup.

yeh but the ts also pointed out that his gear sounded better at his friends house
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yeh but the ts also pointed out that his gear sounded better at his friends house

Yeah when I first brought it home I noticed the problem and immedietly called Guitar Center. THey said maybe I had a bad amp.

I took the guitar and amp back to GC and they hooked them up and they sounded fantastic. No buzzing whatsoever.

Also played at a friends house and it sounded great no buzzing.
Quote by jj1565

Also it buzzes the same no matter what socket in my house it's plugged into.
yea i know. thats why i said to check the surrounding home equiptment.

these things will cause hum on a cheaper starter amp.

if it works at his buddy's house its because his friend doesnt have a 60cycle issue, to be picked up by the amp.

and if its buzzing all over the house then basically, ur screwed.
maybe u should save for a noise red pedal because there's a chance any amp will buzz at home.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

It might also be that your guitar itself picks up more ambiant hum from the wiring, not the amp.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
you can shield ur guitar with foil.

but again, if it's fine at ur buddies house....

anyway, you can try. its cheap. u take off the guard, the pickups are attached to the guard, and the strings willo have to come off too. the guard will still be attached to the guitar via the input jack.
but u can still manage to take off the pups, and line the inside of the guard wt grounding foil.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62