im new to learning theory....im intrested in it and i really wanna learn all i can about it....i just can seem to understand the circle of 5ths.....maybe im just a moron but the rest of the theory lessons i enjoy, im just not grasping the concept of this f*****g wheel....if any of you guitar heros on this site can explain it to me i would be grateful
The Circle of Fifths

This is a device used to determine the notes of each key in the major scale. Here is a lovely picture of it. Take it, hold it, and love it.

Now, as you can see, C is up at the top and is in the middle. That is because it has no sharps or flats. As you move clockwise, you will move into the sharp keys. As you move left, you will run through the flat keys. By sharp and flat keys, I mean that is how you would write the scales.

C major: C D E F G A B
G major: G A B C D E F#
D major: D E F# G A B C
A major: A B C# D E F# G#
E major: E F# G# A B C# D#
B major: B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# major: F# G# A# B C# D# E#
C# major: C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

I've bolded every new sharp written in each key, progressing clockwise through the circle of fifihs. As you can see, the sharps are added in this order:

F C G D A E B

This can be remembered with the acronym:

Father
Charles
Goes
Down
And
Ends
Battle

This is where the sharp keys end.

Now for the flat keys, going counter-clockwise.

F major: F G A Bb C D E
Bb major: Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb major: Eb F G A Bb C D Eb
Ab major: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db major: Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C
Gb major: Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb Fb
Cb major: Cb Db Eb Fb Gb Ab Bb

I've bolded the new flats this time. the order is reverse of the order that you add sharps, B E A D G C F. Which can be remembered with the acronym:

Battle
Ends
And
Down
Goes
Charles'
Father

I know this is hard to take in at first, but give it time and don't rush into it. It'll come. It's like a language. The more you use it, the easier it'll come eventually.

That help?
first of all, thanks for that question cuz i had to look it up and that makes me learn theory :-D but its just saying that any thing played 5 half steps above or below something will sound like starting from a different note... the pentatonic scales are made by playing the fifth of a fifth of a note...so basicaly go up 5 halves from the starting note then another 5 to get the next note (for those of u not so learned people out there, thats 10 half steps)
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
oh...and what he said ^
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Quote by jimmiew
first of all, thanks for that question cuz i had to look it up and that makes me learn theory :-D but its just saying that any thing played 5 half steps above or below something will sound like starting from a different note... the pentatonic scales are made by playing the fifth of a fifth of a note...so basicaly go up 5 halves from the starting note then another 5 to get the next note (for those of u not so learned people out there, thats 10 half steps)

What? Don't listen to this guy. I have no earthly idea what he's talking about. Kirbyrocknroll is right.
Quote by jimmiew
...but its just saying that any thing played 5 half steps above or below something will sound like starting from a different note...

really?

I move to a different fret...and it sounds different...interesting.

Yeah, what kirby said was right, although he missed out the sharp sign after the C at the end of the 3rd row. Just pointing that out in case anybody gt confused

EDIT: and you missed out the b after the A in Eb major
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by frenchyfungus at Sep 23, 2006,