I have no idea how they work, or if this is the right part of the forum to post this in, so could someone help? What I basically need to know is which ones are for tone, and which are for volume, and what the ratings are for (example 1meg, 500k, 250k, 50k.) Thanks in advance everyone.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
you smoke that and then it gets you high...sorry it had to be said
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.
you put soup in them and it gets cooked
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Anyone going to actually tell me how they work?
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
a pot (Potentiometer) is just a variable resistor, or can be used as a variable voltage divider. Where it is in the circuit determines the function. An audio taper pot is typically used for volume control. A Linear taper pot is used for tone by placing it into a filter. The values are just the maximum. You can get fancy but that is the basic idea...
Ibanez SZ320MH
Jay Turser Strat
Vox 15R
Custom Built Fuzz Face
Line 6 Floor POD
well a liniar pot is for normal resistor aplications logorithmic pots are for audio (log pots) and they work by varying the amount of carbon the current has to go through in order to flow, now carbon is really resistive to electricity so it resists the flow of electrons (kindof like rocks in a water pipe) now the rating is for the maximum resistance the pot has so the rating is how much carbon the current has to go through before it goes back into the cuircut
is it like a trimpot?
Got bored left. Got bored where I went away to. Came back.
A trimpot has the same function, the trimpot is smaller and is usually mounted internally for set tweaking. A pot does the same thing, it's just easier to change.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.