Page 1 of 2
CHANGE OF PLANS, CHECK POST 33 AND ON

hey guys, i think i have come to a decision in my life where i need to change my rig a bit.
so i was recording, and i was somewhat muddy, so i unhooked my 18" sub, and it cleared up. also added brightness to my rig.

so my thoughts, "why need an 18? it dont add much volume, and it dont sound that great" so i had this idea, get rid of my 4x10 adn 1x18, and invest in a 8x10 cabinet.

"but tubadude, you already have a 4x10, why not get another 4x10? its the same thing"
i was thinking this, but i think it would be better if i had one cabinet, that way, i can bridge my head so it will put out 1000 watts to the cab. rather than 350 watts per cab (if i remember correctly). also, a new 8x10 is 200 dollars more than a new 4x10. so it wouldnt be much more of an expense, even if i sell my current cabs to off-set my budget.

so i need your guys' help. im looking for a 8x10 new, or used (im searching ebay, none within pickup range, that would be hell to ship, and most people would perfer pickup) that is within a decent amount, (probably overall, around a grand, havnt decided, depends on what i can get and when i feel like i need the cab)

also, in your experience, what 8x10's do you guys like? my neighbor has a mesa one thats relatively old, and i like it, pushes alot of air, lots of volume. and thats my only experience with a 8x10, i paly it quite often, so yea. im open to anyhting right now, my head (which may change if i get more money) is 1000 watts at 4 ohms bridged. i know most cabs will handle that power no problem, so im not too worried about that.

any suggestions?

(btw, i can man handle 8x10's, so im not worried about a 140 pound cab. and my smallest veichle is a ford F150. so i have the abilities to move it.)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Last edited by tubadude at Nov 30, 2006,
my fav 810 was a Mesa, but Ampeg makes pretty good ones, and I've heard the GK SBX810 was pertty good.
haha
I think Dan has an Ampeg 8x10, you can ask him how he likes it...Ampeg would be a nice choice I think, they have a very large sound if you know what I mean, lots of low end..

You could also look into some high end brand stuff from the likes of Aguilar (holy crap dude! sensitivity: 105dB, power handling: 1400W, weight: 184 lbs!, lol nice) or something...

The bass player in one of my friends band has an SWR 8x8 and it sounds freakin sweet, lots of punch and clarity, but probably not the ideal stand alone cab for you...Its pretty hit or miss with people I think...I like it though...

As always, try to check craigslist.com and talkbass for some nice deals on used stuff, (craigslist is all local btw so you might find something good there).
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Sep 23, 2006,
that agular is pretty nuts. I havnt checked talkbass yet, but im cruising craigslist right now, and no luck. (LA, orange county, inland empire are the closest to me)

but like my bass, im not in a hurry to get it. like my bass, it may take up to a year.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
ill take a gander at fender.

my local botique shop has new ampeg SVT-810E cabs for 999 dollars. . .

Quote by steven seagull
SWR makes some amazing Cabs. Check out the Megoliath, it's a great 8x10. I reallly wanted one for a while. (Until I decided to aim for the Goliath III, which is still amazing.)

Just a warning the Megoliath is going to be around the same price (maybe more) than the SVT-810

I've also heard Gallien-Kruger makes some nice cabs, but I've never played one.
If you want value, look at the ashdown MAG 8x10. Its only £369, you can work out the dollars!
Quote by parker_muse
If you want value, look at the ashdown MAG 8x10. Its only £369, you can work out the dollars!

here they are 1,699 dollars. (about 800 pounds. maybe more)

however, this basson cab is pretty nuts.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Basson-B810B-2000W-Bass-Cabinet-with-8x10-Speaker?sku=486203

any experience?

Quote by steven seagull
AMPEG !! get two 8x10s and a big ass head unit that would be sweet,

im not dreaming about the tim C rig ( i swear )

I say get an ampeg or orange amp

i love the bigness of 8x10's
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
^i already have a head. 1000 watt, 4 ohms.

but in the future, i may get a head. just want a cab right now

Quote by steven seagull
I have an extremely used Ampeg SVT 8x10 that had 3 speakers missing when I bought it. It still produces the sound, tone, and volume I want from it. I don't know if I'd swear by it, but lets just say im not in the market for another cab for a long long time.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
alright guys, crazy idea. (GAS just hit me)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Basson-B810B-2000W-Bass-Cabinet-with-8x10-Speaker?sku=486203
that cab
this power amp
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=DCM2000&CID=PWA

not sure on preamp. havnt looked around much.

that cab looks promising. nikki from the crue uses it for his cabinets. its also a decent price (ampeg is 90 bucks cheaper, the GK 100 bucks less. 3rd cheapest at MF)

yea, this doubles my budget almost, but i can offset it by selling my stack, and possibly some other crap around the house, along with a few more months of work.

ideas on a preamp? comments?

Quote by steven seagull
I have ideas for your post-amp. 1x18 and an old Leslie. Or perhaps just a good Eden preamp. They are so underrated.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Leslie eh?

They're awfully rare, expensive and fragile

While they are cool, they're tought to maintain
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
never heard of leslie. . . ill take a gander.

i found an ampeg on craigslist for 400. looks promising, ill call the guy one of these days. im just shooting out ideas right now. so the basson with rack stuff is the most extreme ill do.
so excuse my extreme GAS. its been a while since ive had it.

Quote by steven seagull
^looks pretty good. have you had any experience with them?

EDIT: im sure my 18" is blown. i switched the outputs around, and same symptoms. joy. . .

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by tubadude at Sep 28, 2006,
not saying the 8x10 is a bad idea, but try checking out some higher end 15's, 18's, etc. maybe the problem isn't the size of the speaker, but the quality.
i just played through the new markbass stuff (1x15), and it sounded amazingly good. i'm probably trading in my hartke 215 in towards it, since the 215 is way bigger than i need. anyway, it was loud as hell, but the definition and tone are fantastic. i was playing doublestops and chords, and they sounded clear and spacious, not muddy or garbled.
then again, i'm not looking to carry around an 8x10. i don't know about your living situation, but stairs and neighbors factor into this equation.
my neighbor has a band. so he dont care how loud i am. also the nearest house is about 200 feet away. i also have a one story house, and i keep my gear in a garage, so no stairs or anything making an 8x10 a pain.

i also got a cargo van and a F150, so i have transportation for the cab.

the speaker is an eminence speaker, so i dont think its poor quality.

Quote by steven seagull
sorry for the double post, but erock503 said i should go with a fender bassman head.

says this would kick some ass.
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FENDER-BASSMAN-AMP-135-HEAD_W0QQitemZ330032861503QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38074QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

comments?

Quote by steven seagull
i've got the SVT-810E ampeg cab, and i'm actually getting sick of it...

don't get me wrong, the sound of the 8 10s makes me cream, but its so damn hard to lug around all the time. you really can't move it around by yourself, which sucks, you need lots of vehicle space to move it around, its hard to manuver into and out of small spaces (tight basements and such like the house the rest of my band lives in) and other little reasons. I'm actually thinking of trying to downgrade to either 2 4x10s or a 2x10 and a 6x10 (considering i play out doing rock and funk and such but still play little jazz combos, it be handy).

I'm not saying don't do it, its freakin awesome, but it gets tiresome.

You'll see what I mean, happy hunting!
Quote by Apok
Leslie eh?

They're awfully rare, expensive and fragile

While they are cool, they're tought to maintain

That hilarious, my dad has 2 leslies. He also has a hammond b-3 and an L-100, and yeah, they're pretty awesome. They're oldies too, nothing much wrong with them except for the 1 leslie, which shakes pretty hard when you get it really burnin.

(the L and one leslie is in his friends storage basement/cellar)
Quote by elemenohpee

I've also heard Gallien-Kruger makes some nice cabs, but I've never played one.

I've got a GK 410SBX and it sounds great. Its tough as hell too.

But i havent tried an 8x10. I dont know if I'm ever gonna need one.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Quote by Bumper
I'm actually pretty sure that is a guitar head.

input says "bass"

just thought i would share

Quote by bassoad844
i've got the SVT-810E ampeg cab, and i'm actually getting sick of it...

don't get me wrong, the sound of the 8 10s makes me cream, but its so damn hard to lug around all the time. you really can't move it around by yourself, which sucks, you need lots of vehicle space to move it around, its hard to manuver into and out of small spaces (tight basements and such like the house the rest of my band lives in) and other little reasons. I'm actually thinking of trying to downgrade to either 2 4x10s or a 2x10 and a 6x10 (considering i play out doing rock and funk and such but still play little jazz combos, it be handy).

I'm not saying don't do it, its freakin awesome, but it gets tiresome.

You'll see what I mean, happy hunting!

yea, i see your point of having troubles of moving one, but where i keep my gear is about 5 feet from where i can park my truck. i also move TV's alot for my job, so im used to moving 100+ pound objects.

i also have a truck and a cargo van. which empty, could carry about 6 8x10's. so you can say that i am prepared for an 8x10

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by tubadude at Sep 29, 2006,
Ampeg 8x10 all the way it weighs about 160 pounds but it can handle about 1600 watts and Have u looked at any 6x10's?
i havnt looked at any 6x10's. other than size, what are advantages?

(160 pounds is no biggie, the cab i am keeping an eye on is 230 pounds)

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Bumper

Actually yeah I think so too, the input says bass because it gives a more bassy sound than the other input. Like a high gain and and a low gain input, in fact I'm pretty sure my old guitar teacher had one and that pink queen from the GG&A and GB&C forums has one but he's a guitarist...
Quote by Bumper

I'm pretty suer it's a bass amp that can be used as a guitar amp as well, used by the likes of SRV
haha
Quote by Bumper

yes and no.

You see, it is now produced as a line of guitar heads - however, this is only because when it was originally run in the 50s & 60s so many guitarists bought the Bassman series of amps and used it as their primary guitar amp. Because not many bassists used this amp at the time (as bass cabs at the time were unable to handle 100 watts tubed, really; or atleast thats my guess), Fender pulled it. When enough demand came for it to come back, they released it again but as a guitar line. You can find the head on Musiciansfriend under guitarheads; it's still technically designed for bass though.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
okay, VERY BIG change of plans.

my dad has kinda been saying that we might be moving to a smaller home, and having a full stack in your bedroom isnt ideal. so if i were to sell my stack (about 600 dollars i can get out of it) what would be a good combo? possibly 2x10, or a 1x15, not sure which would be better. i have a 5 string

Quote by steven seagull
mabye even try 2x12's? the combo i want is a 1x12, but its 800w, so it should still have a lot of kick to it.

sorry to hear that, but i mean it cant take up THAT much room, 8x10's are vertical, no?

and when the hell did bumer get banned and what for?
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
8x10 is vertical, but the amount of volume they put out would be very uncomfortable. it would rattle the whole house. (no solid foundation. pre fab home)

Quote by steven seagull
lol, if you dont like your new house just crank up the volume on that sucker and level the place

even if have the volume down very low? i mean your bas should also have a master volume, its not like you cant adjust your output.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
i could always turn it down, but my friends complain all the time because the biggest thing my friends have is a 1x12 50 watt guitar combo. i want them to be heard too. and so their parents dont complain when i come over with gear taller than them.

Quote by steven seagull
well, just be sure that you wont be wanting your 8x10 in the near future. i mean, it seems like it would really come in handy for gigging.
Quote by Mr. T
^yea, im aware. which is why i have the stack i do now. but i havnt gigged in over a year, and i dont plan on gigging for a while.

me= bandless

Quote by steven seagull
sorry to hear that. well, good luck with whatever you decide, this is really up to you and only you. but if you want to see the combo i want:

carvin
Quote by Mr. T
Page 1 of 2