I have a Carvin MTS 3212 with 4 Sovtek 5881 tubes and 5 Sovtek 12AX7A tubes. 100w with an EL34 Bias switch. Celestion G127T speakers.

I was wondering what tubes I should get to get closer to that high gain sound like what Dimebag Darrel and Dave Mustine have.

I was thinking EL34s but I heard that 6L6s are more suited for metal.

what im looking for are tubes with good bass and trebble, high clarity and high gain.

thanks,
Rick
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Well you will need to change the preamp tubes in the gain stage which should be v1 &v2 as well. I have the mts 3200 and i got some EH (electroharmonix) 6l6gc's for the power stage but, you might want to look around at various preamp tubes. I am still looking too. I know the Ei gold pinned ones are good and i hear the Tung sol's are good too. I would go with the eh for power amp tubes though. What guitar are you using? you might want to invest in a Bill lawrence l500xl/dimebucker as well. and never forget that your technique and approach are just as if not MORE important than your equipment when it comes to having a sound.
actually, I am getting I dimebucker for my Jackson. I just love high gain and I just need more overdrive but without the muddieness of using pedals. i tryed the mullard EL34s and they gave me so much mechalical pops and noises that i had to return them. i also got some Electro harmonix preamp tubes too and one of the tubes broke in half!

thats the last time im ever getting tubes from Tubedepot.com. almost a $200 order and they where so poor quallity I had to return them all.

i was looking at Groove Tubes, as of march, carvin have been using those in their amps instead of Sovtek.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Think of it this way. Mesa's are usually equipped with 6L6's. If you want high gain, 6L6's tend to be the "standard" although EL34's would work also. I don't know much about 6L6's, I use EL34's, but you can read some reviews at www.tubestore.com. And, this goes without saying, if you can afford it, get NOS.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Yeah i would go with the Tung sol 12ax7's in the gain stage. I have eh 6l6gc's and mine are fine. One place that is reliable is Revolution guitar. I got mine from there and had no problems and the guy that runs the place (Todd) seems very hospitable and willing to assist. Yeah i use Dimebuckers and EMG 81/85's now. depending on the guitar and style etc. Groovetubes are okay but, alot of those aren't really meant for metal/highgain. I still suggest EH 6l6gc's in the power stage just get them from another source.