So this is it. The lion's den. The place where nightmares are made and dreams are crushed. It's nice. Pretty nifty. Marble floors, white statues and gold plated ornaments adorn the walls and people in dark suits shuffle by. The acoustic sucks, though. The combined chatter of the people in line combines to an annoying mumbly noise. Ah well. Just like my hometown's pub.

I stand in line in front of two guys with lots of bling. One of them has some rappers face on his T-Shirt (I forgot, but it wasn't Tupac) and dreads. So, when they ask me if I can play a song I play the hook for 50 Cents "In da Club" and ask: "Can you rap?". The kid with the T-Shirt and the dreads looks at me incredulous, but his buddy tries to muster up the best 50 Cents imitation he can come up with. He makes it to "We don't give a **** it's not your birthday", then almost swallows his tongue and stops there. "We're more for the soft numbers." - "Ah, OK, I'm more for Rock'n'Roll". I could play "My Girl" and hope they know some Motown classics, but somewhere deep down inside I know that they don't. Ah well anyway, I got my casting number by now, so who am I to care.
Paul and I move on into the incredibly packed lobby where we are quickly briefed about how the actual casting is going to take place. Apparently some bus is going to pick us up to take us to a hotel nearby when it's our town. But I do have enough time to go to the bathroom and relieve myself of the pressure that has been building up inside my bladder during the wait. You always tend to forget how beautiful such a simple thing as peeing can be, but I figure I won't get into details here.

When I come back to the lobby I can see loads of cameras and microphones crowded around some guy with his Takamine Twelve string. Dammit, he's good. But why does he have to play "Sweet home Alabama"? It's a nice song. When you're drunk and topless, dancing on a table during college break. But unless the above applies it should be outlawed. Ok, there are more chewed out songs than "Sweet home Alabama". Maybe. I can't think of any right now, but there certainly have to be. "Smells like teen spirit" probably. Or "Smoke on the Water". Or "Layla". Ok, I shouldn't have said that. He's now playing Layla. But that's still better than "Sweet home Alabama" I guess. I settle myself in the corner to quietly do a little bit of pentatonic wanking on my fretboard trying to hide myself a little bit. I have to admit I'm a little bit nervous by now. A little bit as in, OK, I ****ing need a smoke and a large cup of coffee, now! I don't have cigarettes on me and coffee is 2 ? for a small cup of watery light brownish liquid. I resist the temptation to bite my fingernails and calm myself down.
Mr. Rockclassics plays U2 - One. A good choice. He's doing a rock version of it, but hey, it's One and he's not butchering up. I play a little soloey thingy for myself and let myself drift a little bit, when suddenly a female voice enters the scene. OK, she's got some voice, that's cool. But she's doing the Mary J. Blige thing. I hate that version. Every time I hear it a little part of me dies. One is no disco song. One is no disco song. One is no disco song! I don't care if you're one of the greatest soul divas to ever have walked this planet. "One" is about heartache and disappointment. So don't sing it like it's a disco song. It wasn't meant to show how awesome your vocal cords are. **** that, I'm angry.

Sitting in my corner thinking about all that random stuff and analyzing the scenery around me. My conclusion so far: 80% of the people here are stupid and vain, hopefully I'm not part of that percentage. It might have something to do with the fact, that singers have big egos. I almost miss my call to the casting. I guess it's time to get my ass kicked.

Mr. Rockclassics, another guy and a whole bunch of girls are in the bus that's taking us to the hotel with me. Let me recapitulate a few fragments of the conversation. "I broke my high heels on the way here, now I don't look as tall, I hope I make it anyway" - "I was at the Popstars casting, but I couldn't dance so I didn't make it." - "*cough*I had a fever this week *cough* but this is so important *cough* for me, that I had to come here anyway*cough*" (note: the clothing didn't suggest that she had a cold. Wear a scarf if your throat hurts.). "I am so awesome and think you all suck, but I'm not saying so to your face because I don't want you to cat fight me with your dirty hands." I might have heard the word "you" once or twice during the bus ride, but I think that was uttered on accident. The guys kept quiet. I don't want to waste my time on clichés here, so I'll stop right now.

We enter the hotel, we are quickly briefed again and ushered into a waiting room, where we are separated into our color coded groups. Some more time to kill. Rockclassics takes the lead. He entertains the whole room, trying to get the girls to sing girly rock songs (Torn, Bitch, What's up). He succeeds. Of course. Nice jam session. In another group a guy with a nylon string guitar starts strumming and sings: "Para bailar a bamba...". Awesome! You rock. But your guitar is out of tune. I let him use my guitar tuner to tune his guitar. Some more jamming around: Oye come va. I play the rhythm part. It's only two chords so I don't have to much of a problem . Time for Rockclassics again. "You all know this, one". He rips a few power chords and the guys recognize the song. Intro to verse aaaaaaaand: "Du bist wirklich saudumm, darum gehts dir gut, Hass ist deine Attitüde, ständig kocht dein Blut. Alles muss man dir erklären, weil du wirklich gar nichts weisst, höchst wahrscheinlich nicht einmal: WAS ATTITÜDE HEISST! Deine Gewalt ist nur ein stummer Schrei nach Liebe..." Yes brother! Way to go. I don't know if there is an easier way to get German guys excited then playing Ärzte covers. Maybe Heidi Klum, but that's a completely different issue.
I want to start to play Dreitagebart, but a staff member comes in and takes us to the casting.
- When I was your age Pluto was still a Planet. - anonymous
Last edited by tulkas_1985 at Oct 13, 2006,
I must admit, I'm finding this interesting. But please work on your punctuation/spelling/messiness in general.

other than that, i like it.
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Quote by jazkel24
I must admit, I'm finding this interesting. But please work on your punctuation/spelling/messiness in general.

Mate, get a life. The article was well written, don't be such a snob.
Quote by jazkel24

Amen brother

Great article, but please clean up the messiness (spell check it for a start )
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I ran a spell checker and fixed up the few glitches I made. I know that my punctuation sucks, but please forgive me for that, I'm no native speaker . If you find major punctuation mistakes it'd be cool if you wrote a reply with them then I can fix them.
The third part will be less of a wait. I just don't want the single parts to be so incredibly long. I always think it's very exhausting to read longer texts on a pc screen.
This was nice, but for some odd reason I really enjoyed the first one a lot more. I think what really brought this one down for me was the random thoughts you threw in, like the ones about catfights and such in parenthesis. For some reason those seemed very amateur, at least writing-wise.

Other than that I'm awaiting the next installment.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by Greenfinger182
This was nice, but for some odd reason I really enjoyed the first one a lot more. I think what really brought this one down for me was the random thoughts you threw in, like the ones about catfights and such in parenthesis. For some reason those seemed very amateur, at least writing-wise.

Exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes you went too far in explaining off topic subjects such as the U2 song or how Johny Cash is rock. Other than that your story is very enjoyable, keep it up!
Quote by highway2hell999
What The Hell Is Bong-water????????????????????????????????
YEAH, A BABY!
Quote by Greenfinger182

agreed. its enjoyable, but those random outbursts seem to decline the quality a bit.

and another cliffhanger! >.<
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Greenfinger182

too true, but still i enjoyed it,

the third one should be good
cool story so far, I actually rather like the "stream-of-consiousness-approach" to the whole thing. And I must say, for a non-native speaker your grasp of english is quite incredible.. so I'll stop brown-nosing now and get a life