Hey guys.

Im 16 this year and currently studying. Thing is.. once my end of years finish my parents promised me a new guitar. I have been learning guitar for about.. close to around half a year im considered quite a noob. I practice on a classical guitar. Im basically into acoustic and band songs but whenever i try to learnt them on the classical guitar the feel just isnt right. I have a friend of mine that is interested in music as well and we plan to form a band together in the future.

Problem now is since i only can get one guitar... should i go for an acoustic or electric guitar? Acoustic would allow me to practice songs and since we dont really have any more pals into forming a band getting an electric isnt quite suitable. However electric guitars allow a wider range of songs including learning guitar solos and all. So which should i pick? I heard some acoustic guitars can plug into amps too right?

Pls recommend any gd brands if u guys know for beginners. Prefably cost around 200-300. I just need something durable for me to practice on.
It all depends on the kind of music ur interested in.

IMO get all. Acoustic and electric, of course not together, but one by one.

Electric can be a problem with that budget cause u have to consider a amp also. There are quite a few models around. But in that bidget I'd say yamaha pacifica or fender squier. But a lot of models of fender squier are really crappy, so beware.

PM Dave_mc n he'll help u best with electric guitar. Also u can PM jj1565
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
well, what type of music are you into? you said acoustic and band. but can u be a little more specific?

ok here are some general choices;

acoustic: you can get a nice one for $200. you dont need an amp. you can always add a pickup to amplify it as u progress, but ur limited to folksie, slow songs.
good guitars, alvarez, takamine, yamaha

acoustic/electric: acoustic but u can also plug into an amp. acoustic amps are expensive.
you usually dont get as good a guitar for the money because u are also paying for the electronics. good acoustic/e in ur range are also, alvarez, takamine and yamaha.

semi hollow electric guitars: good for rock and a little heavier, you need an amp with it, acoustically it doesnt project. but it gives a nice amplified clean acoustic or low gain tone.
good guitars, epiphone studio dot, ibanez articore.

electric guitar (single coil and a humbucker bridge): you can play classic rock, almost everything with the single coils, switch over to the bridge for heavier.
Good guitar for $200, yamaha paciffica J112, alder wood fat strat.
add to that a vox da5 for a good $140 mini amp with effects, or a higher gain $125 microcube wt effects, and ur really to play just about anything.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
well, what type of music are you into? you said acoustic and band. but can u be a little more specific?

well from songs ranging from Goo Goo Dolls to Blink 182, Jason Mraz to Yellowcard.. Many artistes.

Quote by jj1565
electric guitar (single coil and a humbucker bridge): you can play classic rock, almost everything with the single coils, switch over to the bridge for heavier.
Good guitar for $200, yamaha paciffica J112, alder wood fat strat.
add to that a vox da5 for a good $140 mini amp with effects, or a higher gain $125 microcube wt effects, and ur really to play just about anything.

what do u mean by anything?? as in everything?

thanks! i think i have a better idea on what to get now. oh how do i test if the guitar is good quality?

Quote by invincibleneo
Electric can be a problem with that budget cause u have to consider a amp also. There are quite a few models around. But in that bidget I'd say yamaha pacifica or fender squier. But a lot of models of fender squier are really crappy, so beware.

how do i know which is crappy? haha. fender sounds really popular amongst guitarists.
Fender is popular but Squier isnt that great. Squier affinity strat is really bad. U might want to try Squier Telecaster with a inverted headstock. But its got a floyd rose which cause some problem in tuning. Fender Squier is not ACTUALLY fender, its a asian company manufacturing guitars under license and complete control of fender. But not exactly fender. Its a range of guitars manufactured for lower cost.

HHmm if u really want to know which guitar sounds crappy is euither very difficult or very easy. Its a matter of ur own taste. Its very personal. We can make conjectures but cant be really sure. First of all listen to all the songs where u like the guitaring. Hear the tone. Pick out a absolute favourite TONE which you would want in your guitar, be it acoustic or electric. Beware, dont confuse tone and playing! For example when I put a thread like this earlier I told everyone I liked Dave gilmour's tone. But I realized at one point that I liked his playing, NOT his tone. Its really important u recognize ur favourite tone, its only then u can go ahead. Other than this u have to play a lot of guitars, there is a good possibility u might like the tone on one guitar and it might be ur favourite. Incase of acoustics u might have to try different guitars of the same model and company. Acoustic guitars of same company and model dohave different tones! Its strange but its true.

@jj1565: Whats a Vox da5??
Quote by hendo123456789
get an electric then save up for an acoustic simulator.
Mex fender tele
fender frontman
morley wah
Quote by invincibleneo
Fender is popular but Squier isnt that great. Squier affinity strat is really bad. U might want to try Squier Telecaster with a inverted headstock. But its got a floyd rose which cause some problem in tuning. Fender Squier is not ACTUALLY fender, its a asian company manufacturing guitars under license and complete control of fender. But not exactly fender. Its a range of guitars manufactured for lower cost.

haha but with my range of budget. i think a squier wud be most ideal. yeah i understand the tone part. thanks

Quote by sampz
get an electric then save up for an acoustic simulator.

acoustic simulator? wads it mean?
See dont buy something just because u cant afford something expensive. There are better guitars which perform better for a lil higher price. If u guy a crappy squier u WILL regret it later, bcoz the tone isnt pleasing. If u can come to terms wid that, then go for it.

Acoustic simulator is just a gadget which converts ur electric tone into a acoustic tone. IMO all of them are crappy and can never ever match up to a actually acoustic tone. But incase of price crunch, Im pretty satisfied with the acoustic setting in the microcube. Try it. U get a acoustic as well as a electric tone with ur electric guitar that way!

@jj1565: that Vox da5 look ssooooooo tempting! :'( No one old me about that!!!!!!! I bought a micro cube assuming its the best amp in that price range. OOOhhh i feel so bad now!!!!!
Quote by hendo123456789
Last edited by invincibleneo at Sep 24, 2006,
I would say just buy whatever you want depending on what kind of songs you're going to be playing / writing.

To be honest I first started out with an electric guitar and it was great, but as I got older I found (and still do find) myself playing acoustic alot more often mostly because I can just pick it up and play a little something and it's much more accessible. Then if I want to record or for some reason need that electric sound I get out one of my electric guitars.

Anyway in the long run it really doesnt matter just as long as you're practicing alot and havin fun with it!
http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXDA5
vox DA 5, its like a microcube except better cleans, less gain.

and yeah^ i meant everything.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011