Poll: are semi hollow guitars only good for jazz-blues?
Poll Options
View poll results: are semi hollow guitars only good for jazz-blues?
Yes
7 10%
No
61 90%
Voters: 68.
well, answer the topic, i wanted too get an epiphone sheraton, and i like playing GnR, acdc, and some new pop-punk stuff ( i know i should get a les paul, but everyone has it!!, i wanted too have something more classy)

is this kind of music possible with a semihollow body guitar ( es 335 style )?
I like straberry pie

don't you?

Proud founder of the PedoBear fan club. PM me to join

10000+ Free webcam girls at:
camgirls.uk
Of course it's possible. Only thing is that you may get more feedback that with a Les Paul, especially if it is a deeper semi like a Country Gent or something of that style.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Well it's noy really a full hollow-body, it's a semi hollow like gibson es 335
i play thru a little vox, and a zoom effects pedal gfx 3
I like straberry pie

don't you?

camgirls.uk
Yeah, the tones you describe are quite accessable with a 335, in fact it should sound rather nice. But asCallum_Barrow said, if you start cranking the volume, you will get feedback a lot easier than with a solid body. But for those sounds, a 335 will sound very nice indeed, different, but very nice.
dude i have an cherry epiphone dot, i play ****ing death metal on it! i used to play metal in a band with a dude who has a BC rich warlock dude did we look weird on stage

the semi hollow bodies can suffer from feed back but the upside is they can create a different signiture tone, my tone is great i run mine through a fender FM 212 the tone is incoomparible to the standad BC rich/les paul through marshall.

REMEMBER ALWAYS BE DIFFERENT!

Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin
dude i have an cherry epiphone dot, i play ****ing death metal on it! i used to play metal in a band with a dude who has a BC rich warlock dude did we look weird on stage

the semi hollow bodies can suffer from feed back but the upside is they can create a different signiture tone, my tone is great i run mine through a fender FM 212 the tone is incoomparible to the standad BC rich/les paul through marshall.

REMEMBER ALWAYS BE DIFFERENT!

Yeah thanx i no, but what about this fdbk thing, is it really so nasty? i mean can still play comfotably with it? i don't play with THAT much DsT on anyway...
I like straberry pie

don't you?

camgirls.uk
keithrichards plays simihollowbodies more than anything else. He plays loud with a respectible amount of distortion and he manages it without horrible feedback problems. You will get some feedback issues but they won't be anything you can't live with. If you set up your stage monitors correctly then you won't have any problems. If you are not playing on stage you shouldn't have any feedback problems at all. As long as you are playing through your current setup I doubt you will be able to creat a feedback problem even if you wanted too. You really do have to play pretty loud for it to become an issue.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Sep 23, 2006,
B.B. Kings "Lucille" Signature ES-335 has no f-holes to prevent feedback.
Otherwise, you could fill the guitar out with foam to prevent feedback.
Foo Fighters' Chris Shifflett uses Gibson ES-335 and a Gretsch Aniversarry Guitar besides his Les Paul live.
Quote by CorduroyEW
keithrichards plays simihollowbodies more than anything else. He plays loud with a respectible amount of distortion and he manages it without horrible feedback problems. You will get some feedback issues but they won't be anything you can't live with. If you set up your stage monitors correctly then you won't have any problems. If you are not playing on stage you shouldn't have any feedback problems at all. As long as you are playing through your current setup I doubt you will be able to creat a feedback problem even if you wanted too. You really do have to play pretty loud for it to become an issue.

Thanx
I like straberry pie

don't you?

camgirls.uk
Quote by angus69
well, answer the topic, i wanted too get an epiphone sheraton, and i like playing GnR, acdc, and some new pop-punk stuff ( i know i should get a les paul, but everyone has it!!, i wanted too have something more classy)

is this kind of music possible with a semihollow body guitar ( es 335 style )?

why not? i've seen a video of GN'R playing it's so easy and izzy was playing some huge hollow body guitar. i can't really tell which one but it was definately a hollow body.
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
And Jesse 'The Devil' Hughes from EODM uses a semi-hollow. I just feel it necessary to mention a dude who's nicknames are "The Devil" and "Boots Electric" wherever possible
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
It's a common misconception that a 335 (or any other archtop) ain't any use for anything outside of blues and jazz. If you prefer a "hard" tone, you can just dig hard with a pick or even raise the pickups a little on your guitar.

Man, the 335 is the bog's dollox!
Yes, get a Sheraton and swap the pickups.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp

I use my DiPinto Baccaus, which is identicle to a Gibson Birdland and it feedbacks a little bit, but I get a COMPLETELY different tone and dynamic than with solid bodies.
I wouldnt recomend them for extremely high gain music, though.
you might have some feedback issuses but that can be dealt with ease.

hell i play ****ing deftones on my ibanez atrcore and that is a semihollow. dropped that sixth string down to A and got a tone just like riviere off of saturday night wrist.

try it. you will get a much different sound.
Eric Clapton used his Cherry Red Gibson ES335 in the Yardbirds and Cream. He wasn't really playing the blues then.
Damn..
I meant to put no..
but the way you're question at the end of your post is phrased made me put yes..

anyways, yah, you can get a good rock tone out of semi-hollows...

but true hollows won't fair as well..
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Alot of classic non blues/jazz tones are done with semi-hollows.

The Sheraton which you are interested in was a staple of Oasis' sound for many years, for example.

Basically, you can use your semi-hollows for anything asides from really high gain. The feedback will become uncontrollable after a certain point.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
another thing is stock pickups
(like on the artcore) will only be for medium gain,so you will have to push them more for higher gain tones...although not to high cause of feedback and all.
Quote by db297
Eric Clapton used his Cherry Red Gibson ES335 in the Yardbirds and Cream. He wasn't really playing the blues then.

Yeah, and he got that creamy sound (pardon the pun) by turning a 100watt Marshall stacks up full and he didn't encounter feedback problems.

As for him not playing the blues......what sort of uber-purist are you man?
Doesn't Alex Lifeson of Rush use a semi-hollow for songs like The Necromancer and By-Tor The Snow Dog? It sounds ****ing great on those songs.
My guitar teacher put a gibson dirty fingers in his semi-hollow, and it has more distortion by itself than me with pedals.
Dickless.
an ES-137 custom can play just about any damn tting you want - ask Ted Nugent
how heavy are we talking? im thinking about getting a semi hollowbody. i mostly play indie rock/ blues rock but i like to sometimes play some iron maiden do you think i would get to much feed back from that type of tone?
You can play anything on anything if you want to. In Bullet in a Bible Billie Joe used a semi hollow for wake me up when september ends.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
My guitar teacher put a gibson dirty fingers in his semi-hollow, and it has more distortion by itself than me with pedals.

Sounds like Mr. Tom Delonge
Desperate Times, Desperate Measures.