As opposed to a 6 string guitar? If so, what would the dimensions be?
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
it's pretty obvious, that the neck would hjave to be wider.... dunno about the exact dimensons, tho...
Listen to my songs!

Hate Unleashed
"The song itself is simply awesome." - British Steel about Hate Unleashed
"Really good." - DarkTom666 about Hate Unleashed
A Pleasant Point

Crit for crit
... er. Yeah.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
You would have to make it wider to fit all the string on.

Usually, a 6-string is about 42mm wide at the nut and 56mm at the last fret.

A 7-string would be about 48mm at the nut and 68 at the last fret.

Dimensions taken from Ibanez guitars, cos they make the best 7-strings in town.
They are different widths, for example here are the differences between the ebmm john petrucci 6 and 7 string

6 string
1-11/16" at nut, 2-1/4" at last fret

7 string
1-15/16" at nut, 2-19/32" at last fret

These where easily found on there website. You can probably find others as well.
Quote by dave293
They are different widths, for example here are the differences between the ebmm john petrucci 6 and 7 string

6 string
1-11/16" at nut, 2-1/4" at last fret

7 string
1-15/16" at nut, 2-19/32" at last fret

These where easily found on there website. You can probably find others as well.

would the body shape be any different as regards to the neck joint to fit the neck?

I'm trying to find 7 string guitar plans, but im not having any luck.

Can you help out?
Larrivée D-03R
I'm guessing the neck pocket would be wider, maybe a little bit higher on the guitar to help it balance. I suggest you just buy a cheap 7 string instead of making one.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^Warmoth, you mean? (Yes i know of warwick obviously, but i dont think they make any guitars....)

You guys: i dont think he meant "width" in the sense that the first few people got, i think he meant it in the ... if it was a 2 x 4, the 2" sense, not the 4", get what i mean?

Even then, it would be a little bit wider, to accomodate string tension, i would think, but not by much. If you see ERB (extended range basses, bass guitars with 6 or more strings), they are'nt much of a difference in that neck width.

You know what, i'd call it thickness, rather than width tho...
Quote by mangablade
^Warmoth, you mean? (Yes i know of warwick obviously, but i dont think they make any guitars....)

You guys: i dont think he meant "width" in the sense that the first few people got, i think he meant it in the ... if it was a 2 x 4, the 2" sense, not the 4", get what i mean?

Even then, it would be a little bit wider, to accomodate string tension, i would think, but not by much. If you see ERB (extended range basses, bass guitars with 6 or more strings), they are'nt much of a difference in that neck width.

You know what, i'd call it thickness, rather than width tho...

If he meant width as in thickness, I know Ibanez 7-string necks are the same thickness as 6 strings. You might need a pretty tough truss rod, though, and more bolts for the neck joint.
Well ibanez is an exception for a lot of things, imo lol.

Their neck "thickness" for their 4 string vs their 6 string (500, 506) i think are virtually the same, which i happen to love
Quote by mEtAlORc
would the body shape be any different as regards to the neck joint to fit the neck?

I'm trying to find 7 string guitar plans, but im not having any luck.

Can you help out?

Dunno about the first question i haven't played any 7 strings. But there might be a slight difference.

The only 7 string guitar plan i can think of is one in the project guitar download area, you need to have donated or won GOTM to acces it though.
Quote by dave293
Dunno about the first question i haven't played any 7 strings. But there might be a slight difference.

The only 7 string guitar plan i can think of is one in the project guitar download area, you need to have donated or won GOTM to acces it though.

ahh.. lol can you please post it in a zip file on ug? how do i win GOTM? or donate? i will go check it out
Larrivée D-03R
lol nah. To donate there is a link on the main page, you only need to donate $10 and you get access to a heap of plans.
Quote by dave293
lol nah. To donate there is a link on the main page, you only need to donate $10 and you get access to a heap of plans.

ah, i cant give any money, not allowed with my parents :S i dont have a credit card either
Larrivée D-03R
Quote by dave293

where is the download area?
Larrivée D-03R
if theres anyone kind enough please post the 7 string plan .. or else i will have to just make a 6 string
Larrivée D-03R