Ok Well recently I've been wanting a better quality more expensive acoustic then the alvarex i have that costs 200$ I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the epi hummingbird or the epi dove acoustics. The 350$ ones not the 2000$ gibsons lol. So any input on the dove or humming bird is greatly appreciated. If i get quick replys since its 757 on saturday morning i can go buy it today.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
Anything please.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
I have no experience w/the models you mention, other than I once I once found a used Epiphone Hummingbird (w/case) at a roadside sale in a small Idaho town and wanted to buy it. Even w/dead strings it sounded/played good enough that I nearly cried when I found there wasn't an ATM in town and I couldn't come up w/the $100. cash price.
Beyond that I am a fan of Epiphone guitars w/3 of them in the house. Not top quality, but IMO a cut above many of the others in the budget class.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
What do you think is better the alvarez I have now or the hummingbird?
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
There are few bette values that the alvarez you have right now, and I feel that any step up in quality wouldn't be worth the $350 you are spending on it. My advice would be to wait and save up a little more, and go for something in the $600-$1000 range, it is where you'll truly see a step up from what you have now.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
The thing is im 15 so I cant get a job where i live since where i live most adults dont even work lol and im in school full time so i cant get a decent job besides for like a little indian owned place lol. So 350$ took me a long time to get . So 350$ is alot to spend lol so What do you think for 350 or - is my best best for a step up in quality. LOOKS MEAN NOTHING TO ME, QUALITY DOES.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
Your best bet might be to look at used instruments. Just today, I saw an Alvarez MD90 with hardcase for $399...thats all solid wood, the cadillac of the Alvarez line. (the yairis are the porsches). Don't be afraid to look at used guitars. I'm just not really sure that there are any guitars that will be signifigantly better for $350.

Gear:
Ive been playing a year though lol So i dont want to spend tons on a new guitar. I play mostly dashboard connfessional, james blunt, Teddy geiger stuff. More of like pop acoustic and beautiful acoustic. If that made any sense. So in your opinion if right now you had 350$ and wanted a new guitar with solid top deffinitly what one would you go get/order.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
The thing is, we really can't tell you what to buy. The Epiphone will likely not sound as brite as your Alvarez. Gibson acoustics IMO tend to be more bassier. You've got to play it and make your own decision.
You sound like your $350. is burning a hole in your pocket. If have to have a new guitar and like the Epiphone, get it.
Is it appreciably a BETTER guitar than your Alvarez? Probably not. Might be prettier and will likely sound different. That's about all.
Patience is a virtue. Take your time. Play LOTS of guitars. Find one you really like and research it, think about it, and KNOW it's what you want. If you need more money,there's ways for a 16 yr old to make money. Mow yards, shovel leaves/snow, dozens of things like that. These guitars will STILL be available in 6 months or a year. And you've got a decent axe until then. (BTW,the RD-20 does have a solid top doesn't it?)
I'm not trying to be harsh. But just slow down some. You're only 16 and you'll have many years to get new guitars. Make WISE choices.
15 but yea. The thing is my alvarez is cracking. On the side where is connected to the top sorry im new to guitars so dont know proper terms. But when the side turns into the top its starting to crack and its sounding worse and worse everyday. So i kind of want a new guitar soon. Any other opinions besides for the same two people also lol.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
I think you're getting excellent advice in here. Hold onto your money! You say it took you a long time to collect. Well, it'll take you that much longer to collect the amount you need to upgrade from whatever $350 guitar you decide upon. And you will eventually want to upgrade from there. Probably sooner rather than later.

Good luck, though.
Well a cracking guitar is a different matter. We'll take your word that a new axe is an urgent matter.
Now, w/$350. what would I do?
1st I'd DEFINANTLY play any guitar (model at least) BEFORE I bought it. I assume you're considering buying from MF. As I said the Epiphone will IMO be a quality guitar, but will VERY likely have a different tone than you're acustomed to w/your Alvarez. It would suck to get it delivered and then find you don't like it. (You can send it back, but you pay return shipping costs).
So do you have any guitar shops in your area where you can test drive some axes? Never EVER buy a guitar because you like it's looks and the price is right.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 23, 2006,
45 minute drives and i cant drive so my parents dont want to take me just for a 10 minute stop lol. So mf is my only hope. since your talking about having different tone if i give the tone i want will that help? If so then I want the tone of Teddy Geiger's - For you I will (confidence). Something that I guess sounds like that.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
Well ya lost me there. I'm an old fart and not much into the newer artists (Listening to Steve Earle right now).
So kind of axe does your hero play?
Have aim? It seems if we talk one on one it mat help both out alot. I wont stalk I promise
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
OK, got some AIM from Acoustonuat and a video of his fav picker. Looks like plays a Taylor. IMO Taylors have a very brite tone. What guitars in his $350 price range would anyone suggest? Takamine's have brite tones. So do Alvarez. How about Washburn? I don't think he'd like the deeper Gibson'ish Epiphone tone.
A Seagull has a much warmer tone but they're excellent guitars. Uhm, Takamines are pretty "bright" as El Conquestidor pointed out. But seriously, consider a Seagull. High quality, decent price .. I personally think they look great. I guess it may be too radical of a change though - warmer tone and a wider fretboard. :/
And the first Seagull guitar is out of his price range...it retails for arooud $400. For a bright sound, Alvarez is good, and Takamine is another choice. I feel like Alvarez guitars are built better...my friends Tak is in the shop constantly with different problems.

Gear:
What about ibanez? They have some nice looking guitars in my price range.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
I've heard more bad things than I have good about Ibanez acoustics.
O i saw a nice artcore one lol it was pretty so yea dont get me long i want quality over prettyness but i mean if both in one i want then lol
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
The Artcore guitars are nice, but they are not true acoustics, and they won't sound good unplugged. But I have never really played an Ibanez I've liked, to be honest.

Gear:
I like the Yamahas in your price range. They don't really make higher end guitars, so they focus on quality in the items you can afford. If quality is your top priority, I think you'll do well with them.

Nice guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG730S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519049

But Alvarez is nice, and Epiphone is also pretty good in your range.
^-- Yamaha does make higher end guitars.

Anyway, if you are looking for a bright tone I'd agree with everyone else and say look at Takamine and Alvarez. Normally I wouldn't reccomend an Ibanez either, but I did get the chance to play an Ibanez AW40NT this past weekend and I was surprisingly impressed with the way it sounded. It, of course, is a beautiful guitar to look at being that it's in their "Art Wood" series, but I was really shocked and pleased with it's tone.

As far as your parents not wanting to drive you 45 minutes for a 10 minute stop... I assure you it won't be a 10 minute stop. See if you can talk your folks into giving you a lift to Guitar Center. If they'll take you, play everything in there that you can afford. I promise you there will be enough guitars in your price range to keep you busy for several hours. Things you want to look at while you're there are:

1. Does the guitar have a solid top? If it doesn't say on the tag, ask someone that works there. They will know. In the $350 range, you don't want to buy a guitar without a solid top.

2. Play each string at every fret and listen for buzzing and rattling.

3. How high are the strings from the fretboard? Is the guitar hard to play? Can you play barre chords all the way up and down the neck without straining?

4. Look at the finish. Is it applied nice and evenly across the surfaces? I find that with guitars in this price range, you'll often notice kind of shoddy finish jobs. Look for bubbles in the finish all over the guitar, particularly on the neck. Check around the fretboard where the neck meets the soundboard. Make sure that the finish isn't all globbed up or spread onto the neck. If it is, but you like the guitar, ask to see another one of the same model.

You are also going to want to play a few guitars that are a little out of your price range. Play them and listen to the way they sound. Figure out what about them sounds better than the models you can afford. This will help you ultimately decide which guitar in your price range meets your tonal preferences and standards.
Why are people saying epi is horrible or not horrible but more bassy whish in my opinion means its "horrible" and some saying there nice? Ok DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EPIPHONE ACOUSTIC under 350$ and can play for me online using a mic so I can tell how it sounds? Ill appreciate it greatly!
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
Because everyone has different opinions of guitars just like anything else. A friend of mine has an Epiphone acoustic the he said he paid around 350 for. He lives a few hours from here but will be in town next weekend. If you can wait, I'll record some stuff with his for you.
Does he have aim where he can just play on there for me?
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
He does, but I'd just assume not bother him with you're troubles. No offense intended.