How do i make a high e-string last longer? It might be my picking, or the fact i dont clean my strings, or the gauge might have been too low last time, but my last one didnt last a week? I've been through about 6 in a year and a half.

Is this normal?
change to a lower gauge, or adjust ur trus rod and you bridge to take strain off of it. And dont worry if ur going through 6 in a year and a half. Thats quite good, I go through bout 15 in a year lol
I think my gauge at the moment is about 11? i dont think they come much thicker unless i use a b-string? and my bridge is as low as it'll go without the strings touching the frets - is that how i want it?
you probably just have a sharp edge on that saddle. u can try to file it smooth or add a little oil. if that doesnt work u can swap the saddle.

for more info post type of guitar and where the string is breaking.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I change strings twice a month (not because they break, but still..) so I'd say 6 in a year and a half isn't bad at all.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
yeah it's probably breaking near your trem thingie where your strings go down xD , I read in a magazine it might be sharp or 'pointy' :p that could also be the problem (i had that, actually still have) , :p
^ they need to be changed but shouldnt be breaking. i hardly ever break a string.

he should check for a rough spot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Well what I'm saying is, you'll break strings eventually regardless of how good your guitar is setup... Especially if you play much/actively, they'll wear down overtime. And 6 strings over 18 months is roughly 3 months for each string? I'd say that's a decent lifespan and there isn't anything to worry about, if you play a lot. Of course it's an entirely different thing if you practice two hours a week. :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
i suppose, IF the strings were breaking over a 3 month period. but they arent.
the last string didnt last a week. and in all honesty, they shouldnt break at all.

if u keep string on too long they lose tone whay before they degrade.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well then seems like you have got yourself a bit of a sharp saddle. you could just lightly sand it with wet/dry sandpaper and just go over it a few times
simple as pie.

you can feel for a rough edge. try ur hand at a light file job, and a drop of lube at the contact point.

or u can pick up a set of graphtech saddles, for about $30.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

mine had a neck reajustment
fixed the bridge
and put 10 gauge strings on it

not it sounds like crap
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!