I know he used may effects but I've never read anything about his pickups.

Maybe back then no one upgraded. He set the world on fire with stock factory pups.

Pickups are probably not as important as the manufactures want us to believe, unless they were made of superior quality back then and now they are of suspect quality.

I suppose when Hendrix wanted another sound from his pickups, he just changed guitars.
it's more that, low to intermediate guitars have sub-par pickups.

so u need an upgrade for the output burst.

he would have started with a high end model to begin with.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Guitarists upgrade pickups routinely on American Fender Strats. They're not considered low-mid end guitars.
But there all single coils, I'm doing the same thing there to noisey and dont have that fat tone of a humbucker.
Quote by Siciliano
Guitarists upgrade pickups routinely on American Fender Strats. They're not considered low-mid end guitars.

Yes, but it's almost always for higher output. Fender's pickups are great, but they aren't that high output.
Quote by Osiris77
But there all single coils, I'm doing the same thing there to noisey and dont have that fat tone of a humbucker.

not true. they have different outputs, and some actually are humbuckers. you can't really stereotype anything with guitar.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
not true. they have different outputs, and some actually are humbuckers. you can't really stereotype anything with guitar.

Some may have humbuckers but american standards and american deluxe dont thats what it sounded like he meant. An for sterotype I have an american strat and my old guitar teach had a deluxe now granted the deluxe had a better sound but I personally prefer something abit higher on the output.
Quote by Siciliano

i wasnt talking about american strats.

the greatest tone difference, would be MIM stock vs. MIM upgraded,
or similar.
upgrading on a higher end guitar doesnt always make that much of a difference, unless it came stock with a crappy brand. and i would hope, if someone was spending over a grand, they would know how to chose a good guitar.

the SCNs on my mia are fine.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by sashki
You couldn't get replacement pickups back then. So no.

The thing is, he played a righty strat "upside down", so the magnets were of different heights.

That, and it meant his bridge pup was angled differently, and reversed 6-a-side headstocks change the tone of the strings because it means that the low E's the longest and the high E's the shortest.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I don't see how half of this is relevent - todays Fender company is not related to Fender back then except by name. Strat pickups then were strat pickups. Jimi had his pickups the other way round to usual on a strat so the wound strings were brighter than normal.
Quote by smb
I don't see how half of this is relevent - todays Fender company is not related to Fender back then except by name. Strat pickups then were strat pickups. Jimi had his pickups the other way round to usual on a strat so the wound strings were brighter than normal.

Actually, Fenders are made to pretty much the original specs, and are just as good guitars.
I don't think Jimi was going for a balls to the walls high output tone in the first place, seeing as he only ever used a fuzz face. And stock fender American pickups aren't half bad.
Quote by mikeman
I don't think Jimi was going for a balls to the walls high output tone in the first place, seeing as he only ever used a fuzz face. And stock fender American pickups aren't half bad.

Fuzz may not sound like it, but it's actually more distorted than pretty much anything. Seriously. Have you ever put a distortion pedal in front of an already distorted amp? You get fuzz, albeit very noisy fuzz. I'm not making this up.
Back in the '60's, people kept their guitars usually stock 'coz aftermarket pickups weren't a common occurance.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Fender actually took apart his Woodstock guitar and measured the impedance

I do believe they were higher then normal Strats of the same year...I'll try and dig out that Guitar World
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by R_H_C_P
Back in the '60's, people kept their guitars usually stock 'coz aftermarket pickups weren't a common occurance.

Yeah, but the minute the 70's started, people started putting DiMarzios and brass nuts on their guitars.
Quote by Holy Katana
Fuzz may not sound like it, but it's actually more distorted than pretty much anything. Seriously. Have you ever put a distortion pedal in front of an already distorted amp? You get fuzz, albeit very noisy fuzz. I'm not making this up.

It's true, he's not
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Gofishus
60's fender pickups that were reversed because of his setup. I think Fender offers 'reverse-staggered' pickups and lindy fralin has the 'woodstock 69' set for the supposed tone.

I don't think Fender makes them, but Seymour Duncan certainly does.
For a while, you could get special reverse-wound pickups from Fender, wound by the same person who wound Jimi's.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!