I've got an epiphone explorer (not korina), and the top two strings rattle really badly on the first fret, and sometimes the second. I've raised the action on the tuno-matic bridge piece as far as it will go and the strings are like 1cm from the 22nd fret, but still rattle against the top fret. This is becoming ridiculous. I've tried metal guage strings and the lightest guage, both suck. the heavier guage is better though. What can I do?

Cheers.
ur neck doesnt have enough bend.

that's why the thicker strings work better. its pulling harder against the headstock and bending the neck a little like a banana.

if u want to adjust the neck then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well generally if the guitar is new, you should get a set-up and new strings. But still even after a set-up some guitars do that like my old squier even after the set-up. But yeah get some new strings, a set-up and I think you should be fine.
^well or he can repost and learn how to turn a screw.

i dont understand why people post just to say to take it to a shop.
how could he not know that's an option?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Beam me up. I just tried picking then bending the neck in, works good. How do I fix that baby up?
get the right sized allen wrench, detune a little and turn 1/8" COUNTER clockwise.

leave the guitar alone forabout an hour.
retune, try it out.

if you need more then turn another 1/8" counter clockwise. and leave it again.

small turns, dont force the turn. and make sure the wrench is the right fit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

in the future, to measure ur angle,

you fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time
you fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck meets the body.

with both places held, you look at the middle frets. 7-9th fret.

if the string lays on the body there, u dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, u have too much bend.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

unless youve been actually taught how to, or really know your ****, stay away from neck adjustments, take it to a shop, and ask to watch him fix it, so you might have an ideaq in the future
what's it worth to get fixed up by a pro? and what is the procedure called?
How much should a guitar cost to get set-up?
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
well seeing as how it's probably sorted with the turn of a screw, and even if it didnt help u can always still go to a pro for a $40 set up, there really is no risk to learning how to set up ur guitar urself.

the one way u could damage the neck would be if u forced a turn, turning a nut until its as its end, hearing cracking and still continuing the turn.

but do what u want.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^well or he can repost and learn how to turn a screw.

i dont understand why people post just to say to take it to a shop.
how could he not know that's an option?

hmm. lets see. now why on earth would i suggest that?

if he doesnt know enough to realize that his neck is warped when the strings are buzzing a cm off the 22, then im assuming he doesnt know how to fix the warp. ive had friends break their necks by straining the rod. theres nothing wrong with advising some one to get a pro to help out.
yeah, and im sure all these friends u have running around with broken guitar necks, all took the time to learn what they were doing first?

ok, ur not even saying, "if you dont feel comfortable that you'd be able to follow these instructions, then you should take it to a pro for a $40 set up."
you come right out and say, it's warped and he should take it in.

ive been setting up guitars for over 10 yrs. if he doesnt want to adjust it then fine.
but i was under the impression that EG was where u came for set up info.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

haha, I agree with JJ completely, I've only played guitar for 3 or 4 years now but I've been doing all my own work the whole time and doing any work for friends they wanted done but didn't know how to do, I mean I wired some emgs in cleanly without even having the right wiring diagram and the shop here charges around 60 or 70 bucks for that. I've done scalloping, truss rod adjustments and all that, learning as I went and I don't think it's anywhere outside the realm of someone who's half handy to do most of this stuff himself, but if he's not mechanically inclinced at all then maybe he should take it to the shop, but if he's really careful and watches what he's doing the worst thing that would probably happen is waste his time....JJ just posted a pretty good/safe how to.....