ive already asked this in the newbie Q and A forum, but i am looking for more answers. basically, i have a crappy silvertone, and i cant get down to the 17-20 frets, or my hand is squished, and i dont like it one bit. i liked it, untill i started playing Aint talkin bout love's solo~ by van halen~ and i couldnt do it cause of my guitar, or maby my hands to big but anyway. i need a good sounding guitar, where i can actually play the 17-20th frets. for about $500 usd. thanks.

also i am looking to play songs by van halen, acdc, metallica, papa roach,and lynyrd skynyrd. and more of course, if that affects your decision
A few companies you could check out as a starting point are Ibanez, Schecter, maybe an Epiphone, or even Fender, although I'd stick between the first two.

What kind of amp do you have?
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
i have a crappy practice amp , im only 13 and cant afford much more. its a randall ra15g, also, any specific models of guitars?
if u like playing metal and all that ESP's are great for that. check out the ec 400
check out most 24 fret guitars. you may not use the extra two frets very often when covering songs, but they are nice to have when improvising or making your own. however the reason why i recommend a 24 fret is that it makes the 17-22 frets play really easily.
as far as models go, try out the ibanez RG series. if you pay less than 700 dollars for it i would recommend getting one with a fixed bridge, not a floyd. makes it cheaper, thus better parts for the same price, and lower end floyd roses generally arent worth your time.
Go to the used market and buy a Carvin. Anyone who recommends anything else has never played one. No fault of their own. Don't get me wrong, I love Fender, Ibanez and whatever else, but nobody on the market does what Carvin does for the same price. I've never played a Gibson that came anywhere close to a Carvin.
Last edited by tanman at Sep 23, 2006,
I just bought an Ibanez ARC-300 for about $400 brand new. I like it a lot. It is pretty light, the action is nice and low, and it stays in tune really well after the first 2 days of new strings. It is my 2nd guitar and I have been playing for about 3 years now. My first was a Jay Turser and this was a huge upgrade compared to that. I figure I will play this one until I can complete Rock Discipline at 130 bpm or more and then buy a Carvin maple top.

Now, this is considering you are only worried about playability. Your guitar will only sound as good as your amp. If you only have money for one, I would upgrade the amp first. Just my opinion. Good luck and just keep saving birthday money. Tell your parents, grandparents etc, that all you want is cash for your birthday and christmas. You will be able to get what you want if you can save up enough dough.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
epiphone or fender
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
I'd go with cnorthern for the whole sound thing. Epiphones are good guitars i've owned a epiphone les paul my self. However i hear so many people here on UG go on about the Ibanez RG series, I've never played one but from i hear it might be worth checking it out.
Yeah, try an ibanez, just find something with a cutaway on the neck for your hand, so you can get up to all the frets.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
ive looked up some ibanez rg series guitar online, and i have one quick question, it says some have 24/meduim frets and some are 24/jumbo, whats the difference?
Quote by _guitar_hero_
ive looked up some ibanez rg series guitar online, and i have one quick question, it says some have 24/meduim frets and some are 24/jumbo, whats the difference?

the profile of the actual fret wire them selves. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fretwire/2/Stewart-MacDonald_Fretwire.html http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fretwire/1/Stewart-MacDonald_Fretwire.html its very much personal taste on what size your fretwire is
i think there might be some change in tone, bu the main difference is that they last much longer before replacing and i think are easier to play on
SG arnt that great in that price range, but they're bodies give them reall good upper fret access.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Epi SG G-310 or G-400 I'd say.

I love the upper fret access on those things, perfect for classic rock (your taste predominantly it seems) and so versatile...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
try to locate a dealer in your area and try these out. It would be nice to play before you buy.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

i asked my friend and he recommended the ibanez rg 350 series, so thats what im going to get
no no no no no, if you use the trem alot, it WILL give you provlems down the road, it is made out of an entirely cheap metal that will wear down after awhile, then you won't be able to keep tuning or use it, so, i strongly do not recommend them, if you play one, they just feel kinda cheap if you know what i mean, like just the way it feels and plays, they look great in my opinion, just tone and feel kinda suck in my opinion, but i do love the 1520 and 1570, but those are a lil outta your price range
Quote by tanman
Go to the used market and buy a Carvin. Anyone who recommends anything else has never played one. No fault of their own. Don't get me wrong, I love Fender, Ibanez and whatever else, but nobody on the market does what Carvin does for the same price. I've never played a Gibson that came anywhere close to a Carvin.

My guitar teacher has a Carvin.. it's so nice.
Quote by Chad11491
no no no no no, if you use the trem alot, it WILL give you provlems down the road, it is made out of an entirely cheap metal that will wear down after awhile, then you won't be able to keep tuning or use it, so, i strongly do not recommend them, if you play one, they just feel kinda cheap if you know what i mean, like just the way it feels and plays, they look great in my opinion, just tone and feel kinda suck in my opinion, but i do love the 1520 and 1570, but those are a lil outta your price range

i told my friend what you said, and this is what he had to say. "Why would they make it so crappy since it's quite expensive anyways.?"

he also said his friend has had NO problems with his. and has had it for 5 years.
well then he got lucky, and it's not really expensive in the u.s. which is where i live, and i'm not trying to be mean or anything, it's just, the trem sucks, maybe the older models have better trems than the new ones??? idk, all i know is i didn't like the one i played, and i'm not biased against ibanez, but you know everyone has different opinions, if you like it then that's all that matters right? in the end you're the one paying for it and playing it, so if you like it that's all that matters
Quote by _guitar_hero_
i asked my friend and he recommended the ibanez rg 350 series, so thats what im going to get

Just out of curiosity......

Couldn't you just have asked your "friend" in the first place and not bothered to start this post? I don't understand. It is almost like you started this thread just to see how many replies you could get. I sometimes feel like I have too much common sense.

Quote by Scott3229

Quote by azn_guitarist25
i dont like the acess on my G-310 very shoddy it is mate

Yeah I like it but it isn't the best in comparison to some other stuff.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah I like it but it isn't the best in comparison to some other stuff.

especially if your use to playing with neck thru. and i highly doubt your friend has in fact got the same guitar cos there will always be some difference that he leaves out
Quote by CroneR
My guitar teacher has a Carvin.. it's so nice.

I can't say enough about them. If you or anyone here gets the opportunity, play a $1000 Carvin, then a $4000 PRS. See which you like better.
well, my friend lives in another country, and he wasnt on msn when i made the post. and its always good to have second opinions.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what amp do you use? if it aint great then look at a roland cube and the ibanez rg321mh

Yes listen to him, lol *points to own rig below*
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what amp do you use? if it aint great then look at a roland cube and the ibanez rg321mh
sounds like sound advice
Used rg550/rg570. I'd personally go with the rg570 because rear routed guitars just look so much sexier.
Originally posted by priest.fan.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
Quote by norvan
Used rg550/rg570. I'd personally go with the rg570 because rear routed guitars just look so much sexier.

yeh but the ts may not have any experice at all with floating trem guitars and may think that they are more trouble than what they really are. and plus the RG321MH is rear routed