ok exactly what do these things do? and what kind is better a 250k or a 500 k pot?
Quote by ibanez9589
ok exactly what do these things do?

It's a normal audio pot with a toggle switch built into the shaft, if you replace your volume or tone pots with these you will then be able to use it to switch between different pickup wiring configurations (as well as still controlling the volume or tone) with the obvious advantage that you don't have to drill a new hole in your guitar to fit a switch in.

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&sku=I-4000&PG=7&s1=Free_info_sheets&item=freeinfo/fi.html

and what kind is better a 250k or a 500 k pot?

What is the difference between 250K & 500K pots?

Either 250K or 500K pots can be used with any passive pickups however the pot values will affect tone slightly. The rule is: Using higher value pots (500K) will give the guitar a brighter sound and lower value pots (250K) will give the guitar a slightly warmer sound. This is because higher value pots put less of a load on the pickups which prevents treble frequencies from "bleeding" to ground through the pot and being lost. For this reason, guitars with humbuckers like Les Pauls use 500K pots to retain more highs for a slightly brighter tone and guitars with single coils like Stratocasters and Telecasters use 250K pots to add some warmth by slightly reducing the highs. You can also fine tune the sound by changing the pot values regardless of what pot value the guitar originally had
i wanna have like 3 switches so one pickup can be wired to each switch that way i can just flip a switch and that pickups on or flip it again and its off