I have my body blank at 2 peices of mahogany going at 24"x8"x2"
Does anyone know what a rough dimension for a neck blank would be? Thanks

Oh and a question with regards to bodies. I have the body blank, when guitars say they have a laminate top, do I have like a 1/2" layer of a different wood on top of the blank?
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
Last edited by mEtAlORc at Sep 23, 2006,
I wouldnt honestly get your hopes up, Ive asked for dimensions and Ive never gotten comments. I got alot of info from warmoth, and you should measure your current neck for dimensions, and add or subtract depending on the scale, angle of headstock
Quote by amorebelladonna
I wouldnt honestly get your hopes up, Ive asked for dimensions and Ive never gotten comments. I got alot of info from warmoth, and you should measure your current neck for dimensions, and add or subtract depending on the scale, angle of headstock

what do you have in mind the thickness of a laminate top? is about 1/2" fine?
Larrivée D-03R
Depends on where you buy the neck blanks from. Stewmacs electric guitar neck blanks are 13/16" x 4" x 27", while LMI has a whole range of sizes such as 7/8" x 3" x 24" & 7/8" x 3" x 30".

Usually when something has a top, it's just simply a piece of wood glued onto the top of the body. It can be anywhere from 1/4" (drop tops) to 3/4" (cap, top, carved usually).

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
Depends on where you buy the neck blanks from. Stewmacs electric guitar neck blanks are 13/16" x 4" x 27", while LMI has a whole range of sizes such as 7/8" x 3" x 24" & 7/8" x 3" x 30".

Usually when something has a top, it's just simply a piece of wood glued onto the top of the body. It can be anywhere from 1/4" (drop tops) to 3/4" (cap, top, carved usually).

Chris

sry im not quite familiar with imperial measurements, im from canada heh, how much is 13/16" ? i got my neck blank for 3-1/2" x 4" x 27"

And for the top, how would one carve it? Because I keep thinking of having the body blank and the top glued on top of it, then when I start doing the bevels, it'll change the top's thickness, and it'll be uneven. Is this where carving comes in? (i have no idea what carving is, but i will try to find out)
Larrivée D-03R
13/16" is about 20.6mm You neck blank will be plenty big. Are you doing a bolt on neck? If so you will actually be able to get 4 necks from that neck blank and if you don't mind laminating you could get 6 necks.

Carving the top is what you would do on something like an LP. It's what gives you the arch. It seems intimidating but it really isn't hard at all. If you are just carving the bevel for the armrest (like on a strat) then you carve that before you laminate the top on. Then use a 1/4" drop top and bend the top to match the bevel in the body.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
13/16" is about 20.6mm You neck blank will be plenty big. Are you doing a bolt on neck? If so you will actually be able to get 4 necks from that neck blank and if you don't mind laminating you could get 6 necks.

Carving the top is what you would do on something like an LP. It's what gives you the arch. It seems intimidating but it really isn't hard at all. If you are just carving the bevel for the armrest (like on a strat) then you carve that before you laminate the top on. Then use a 1/4" drop top and bend the top to match the bevel in the body.

wow thanks for the info

1 question, is it good to cut quartersawn wood? The neck blank i have is quartersawn, i want to make a 5 peice neck, 3 peieces of the maple(quartersawn) and 2 inserts of bubinga.

2nd question, how will i be able to get 4-6 necks lol, i dont know the dimensions for a completed neck yet :S someone please tell me

3rd question, how do you bend the top to match the bevel in the body?

Cus I got very confused reading about laminate top bodies in the melvyn hiscock book, cus he had the laminate top on the body blank, then he beveled it and it looked like complete ****
Larrivée D-03R
1st question. When you don't know what you are doing then the best way to get quarter sawn wood is to buy it from the luthier supply houses like www.lmii.com. If you know what you are doing then it's easy enough just to go to a lumberyard and pick though untill you find something you like.

2nd question. If read algee's post again you will see that a very commen size for neck blanks is 24x3x7/8. So from a 3 1/2 x 4 x 27 you can make 4 bandsaw cut and end up with 4 blanks that are 3 1/2 x 1 x 27. Then you can rip 1/2" of of the side of all for blanks so that then you will have 4 blankes that are 3x1x27 and for peices that are 1/2x1x27. Because you want to do a 5 peice neck then use 3 of the half inch peices and laminate your bubinga inbetween them. That will give you a total of 4 solid neck blanks and 1 laminated neck blank.

3rd question, the bebel in the body isn't very big so the material might just bend around really easy. If it doesn't want to just bend then lay the peice you want to laminate on top of the body and use a clothes iron with the steem turned all the way up to heat the wood and steam bend it. The wood will sprig back when you stop bending it with the iron but if you quickly apply glue and then put sandbags on it then it should bend back to where you had it when you used the steam. Keep the body under the sandbags for 24 hrs and then you will be good to go.
Quote by CorduroyEW
1st question. When you don't know what you are doing then the best way to get quarter sawn wood is to buy it from the luthier supply houses like www.lmii.com. If you know what you are doing then it's easy enough just to go to a lumberyard and pick though untill you find something you like.

2nd question. If read algee's post again you will see that a very commen size for neck blanks is 24x3x7/8. So from a 3 1/2 x 4 x 27 you can make 4 bandsaw cut and end up with 4 blanks that are 3 1/2 x 1 x 27. Then you can rip 1/2" of of the side of all for blanks so that then you will have 4 blankes that are 3x1x27 and for peices that are 1/2x1x27. Because you want to do a 5 peice neck then use 3 of the half inch peices and laminate your bubinga inbetween them. That will give you a total of 4 solid neck blanks and 1 laminated neck blank.

3rd question, the bebel in the body isn't very big so the material might just bend around really easy. If it doesn't want to just bend then lay the peice you want to laminate on top of the body and use a clothes iron with the steem turned all the way up to heat the wood and steam bend it. The wood will sprig back when you stop bending it with the iron but if you quickly apply glue and then put sandbags on it then it should bend back to where you had it when you used the steam. Keep the body under the sandbags for 24 hrs and then you will be good to go.

wouldnt the iron damage and maybe warp the top of the wood?
Larrivée D-03R
Yes, it will warp the wood, but that is what you are trying to do. You will be controlling where the wood warps and you will be making it do what you want it to do. No the iron will not damage the wood.