Page 1 of 2
I'm new at playing and would like to get something decent. I want to spend $1000 or so. I'm into hard rock and metal and would like to get something with wammy bar but its not a necesity. I was looking at ESP, dean (dime), schecter (hellraiser c1 FR) gibson (menace) and a few others. I'm not sure if i'm looking at the right ones, anyone help me out?
...so uve never played before and you about to lay down 1000$?

your about to spend 1000$ on something that you dont even know if you'll get into?

as cool as you may think guitar is, it doesnt mean that you definately get into playing...its a lot of playing and practice to become good...and theres actually a math behind it. THeory isnt easy to learn either.

Id recommend a squier bullet pack, or even a behringer pack. They are cheap and effective....your gonna sound like **** when you start playing, and you will for a while...no point of getting good gear when its still gonna sound like ****.

And a beginners pack like that will probably last you a year or so, and once you get a little more proficient you can lay 1000$ on a guitar/ amp and actually hear the difference.

and btw...amps are much more important for getting a good sound. You want a nice amp before you get a nice guitar...

And stay away from floyd rosses!! Floating tremelo's are horrible for a beginner. They can take hours to tune...more if you have to intonate it. As a beginner you should want to play everything you can get your hands on...so if your in standard tuning and you wanna play some drop D rage against the machine...better lay down half and hour to an hour to tune it.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Yeah, holmes, you probably shouldn't be buying $1000 guitars until you've been playing longer...

But just for laughs, what amp have you got?
If you have the money to spend go ahead and spend it. I've found that people are more motivated to play if they have decent equipment to use.

Buy a Carvin.
yeh decent equipment can just be an Ibanez RG321MH it doesnt have to be some high end LTD model
yea wehenever i go to guitar center and play the really nice stuff i always feel like such a better player just because my tone is better

but think 1000 is a little over the top 4 a begginer
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
DON'T EVER BUY THE BEHRINGER PACK!!!!!!! It kills your motivation with it's extremly bad sound, playability, feel, etc etc etc. Go for an Epiphone and a cheap amp.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Get a custom Ibanez.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Thank you Osiris77.

The hellraiser and LTD MH 400NT are basically the same guitar? How about the LTD F-400? Thanks again.
wow, Iv been playing for 3.5 years now, and I have been dreaming of getting a hellraiser.........you deffinetly dont wanna spend $650 on a guitar that will probroly go to **** if you dont take care of it
My Gear

Marshal MG250DFX
Fender Standard HSS Strat
Jackson JS30
Ibanez AEG20E Acoustic
Why not just pick up some low-end gear, and spend the money on lessons. Then worry about buying top of the line crap
^no.

If you get some good gear now, you wont have to worry about it later, there will be times where you wont have money to get some good gear unless you're rich..but even so it will happen. So go ahead, spend the money you have to to get the gear you want and that will last for a long time.
Quote by Eric 666
^no.

If you get some good gear now, you wont have to worry about it later, there will be times where you wont have money to get some good gear unless you're rich..but even so it will happen. So go ahead, spend the money you have to to get the gear you want and that will last for a long time.

Are you saying it's a good idea to spend $1000 dollars on gear for a beginner? Because I spent about $300 on my beginner stuff, and it is still working fine 3 years from then. There's no reason he would need top of the line gear when he's just starting out, makes no sense at all.

Ok hows this. You spend a thousand bucks on gear, then 3 months down the road you don't feel like playing anymore. Now you just wasted all that money. And don't say it doesn't happen, because it does. It happened to me, I gave up on guitar within months after I bought the gear, and only recently a few months ago returned to it. I think you should buy lower-end gear and see if guitar is something you really want to do before you go shell out the big bucks. I mean yeah of course, with the better, more expensive gear you're going to get a much, much, better sound. But you're a beginner, and no offensive, you're probably going to sound terrible starting off anyway. I know I did.
Last edited by OpposingForce at Sep 24, 2006,
Thanks for all the positive input guys. In the end its still MY money to spend.

A really good friend of mine recenly came back to town and glady offered to teach me, so i dont need money for lessons or other gear.

So where were we?

Is hellraiser and LTD MH 400NT are basically the same guitar? Dont see the ESP LTD SC-600 mentioned much at all on this board?

Is the gibson menace any good? (it comes with a hard case as well)
just to add my 2 cents, when I first started playing guitar my musical tastes were much different than what they are now. As you learn more you may want different things out of your guitar, thinner neck, hollow body, floyd rose, etc. I would start off with a reasonable midrange guitar since you have the money, maybe a mexican stratocaster or an epiphone or a mid range ibanez. As you start to really get into playing you can always upgrade to a nicer guitar.
Quote by OpposingForce
Are you saying it's a good idea to spend $1000 dollars on gear for a beginner? Because I spent about $300 on my beginner stuff, and it is still working fine 3 years from then. There's no reason he would need top of the line gear when he's just starting out, makes no sense at all.

Well man one, he has the money, 2, usually musicians are strapped for cash, so people should buy good gear when they have the money for it, because what if something happens to his economic situation? then in the long run he's not gonna have the money to get nice gear and he's gonna end up buying a half-assed guitar and amp when he becomes better and he'll sound like ****. Now he has the money, let him spend it, it will motivate him to play more if he has good gear, and not **** gear...hell I made that mistake 4 years ago when I bought a Les Paul junior and a Berhinger 15W amp thinking it was the proper thing to do, I had that gear for 2 years straight because my dad couldnt afford anything better until I got a part time job at a guitar store and bought my Line 6 and Ibanez, and I'm still broke as **** and i'm still here, I wish I could have gotten top of the line gear that would last me for a long time, but I didnt. I dont want him to comit the same mistake. You gotta think economics here man, you gotta plan ahead...besides he can always re-sell the stuff and get a portion of the money back.
^I'm with just about everyone else here. Don't spend $1000 on something you don't know if you'll like. You may hate the feel of the strings on your fingers. You may just not get it. Or, your interests could change completely and you could stop liking music in general. It happens.

I recommend that you get decent gear, but NOTHING expensive. I recommend either a Washburn WI14 or WI64 depending on how much you really want to spend. The WI14 is $150, the WI64 starts at $300 for the distressed version (very cool looking). Both are great guitars. I use my WI14 every day and it will be a guitar I use for a long time. It's a $150 guitar, but it's really nice. The WI64 is a great guitar as well and has more additions on it than the WI14. Either way, both are good guitars.

Now, you'll need an amp too. I recommend a small amp to start with. Take a look at the Roland Cube 15. Or, Roland Cube 30 if you don't want to really upgrade it for a couple years.

In all you'll spend under $500 and you'll be able to tell if guitar is something you really want to commit to. If you do decide you like it and want to play for years, not only do you have good gear to start with, you can always upgrade later.

However, if you decide you hate it, you're only out ~$500 instead of $1000.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
is there any difference between the c-1hellraiser and the mh400nt? All the posts seem to be based on brand loyalty???
i guess the thing to remember here is that there are different types of beginner...

if you're a TOTAL beginner, i.e. have never touched any musical instrument before, it's probably a bad idea to spend too much (unless you're totally loaded, money-wise), just in case you hate it.

However, if you're a musician, and just new to guitar (i.e. you can play other instruments, have done for some time, and know that you'll stick with it), there's really no problem with throwing down a large wad of cash for kit... especially if you're used playing on your stradivarius, a squier affinity will feel a bit crap after that....

i second danno. what's your amp, and any current kit (if you aren't a total beginner)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fatsix
is there any difference between the c-1hellraiser and the mh400nt? All the posts seem to be based on brand loyalty???

well, yeah, they're different guitars, they'll probably feel different, different neck dimensions etc. you need to try them to see which you prefer...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Eric 666
Well man one, he has the money, 2, usually musicians are strapped for cash, so people should buy good gear when they have the money for it, because what if something happens to his economic situation? then in the long run he's not gonna have the money to get nice gear and he's gonna end up buying a half-assed guitar and amp when he becomes better and he'll sound like ****. Now he has the money, let him spend it, it will motivate him to play more if he has good gear, and not **** gear...hell I made that mistake 4 years ago when I bought a Les Paul junior and a Berhinger 15W amp thinking it was the proper thing to do, I had that gear for 2 years straight because my dad couldnt afford anything better until I got a part time job at a guitar store and bought my Line 6 and Ibanez, and I'm still broke as **** and i'm still here, I wish I could have gotten top of the line gear that would last me for a long time, but I didnt. I dont want him to comit the same mistake. You gotta think economics here man, you gotta plan ahead...besides he can always re-sell the stuff and get a portion of the money back.

Okay, I see your point. There are some who want to waste tons of cash on a hobby they ay drop in a couple months. The ones who wnat the top of the line gear, like my friend Kevin.

Then, there are others who find satisfaction in earning their gear, and being rewarded. Don't blame gear for making you sound crappy, tone's in the fingers. You think Satriani could make a Squier and a Fender Frontman 25R sound good? Of course he could, and that's because he has chops.

I, personally, find spending $1000 on beginner gear to be absolutely unnecessary. Just get a really cheap $50 guitar and see if you like playing, then spend money.
As your music tastes change so will your guitar playing. Take me for example, when i first got my squier beginners pack all i wanted to do was play blink-182. I didn't know jack$hit about guitars, the only companies I had heard of were Fender and Gibson. Fast foward 3 years. I'm a completely different person and guitar player. I've matured both as a person and as a musician. And this is coming from someone who had been classicaly trained for 4-5 years before buying a guitar. You might want to buy a ESP and play some metal now but a few years down the line you might learn that jazz and blues is what you wnat to play. My advice is to buy a cheap starter pack and save the $800-900 thats left. That way when you finally find your musical personality you can plunk that money on a rig that fits.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
I'll make another example of how tastes change so quickly.

When I first got my guitar, I was a huge Jimmy Eat World fan. That's what inspired me to want to start playing guitar. By the time I got my guitar (Washburn WI14 with a cheap 12w amp) I was listening to different stuff. Still mainstream-ish stuff, but different none the less. I learned a couple Jimmy Eat World songs, then moved on to new stuff. Particularly Green Day, which taught me basically all the rhythm skill I could want. Easy, yes, helpful, yes.

I played Green Day stuff as well as a lot of real punk music as well (The Ramones, The Clash), and I thought that I'd want to play punk rock forever. Then, I started listening to a lot of AFI and started to play their stuff and stuff from similar bands. I started to think that I'd want to play hardcore/punk stuff. Then, I got back into pop-punk and punk rock after a few months. Although, no matter which of these styles I was playing I still felt something missing. Whether lack of complexity, lack of variety, or just getting bored with it.

Now, months later, my interests are completely different. My favorite bands now are Pink Floyd and The Mars Volta. Neither of which are anywhere near punk, pop-punk, or "hardcore." Both are more complex playing, and both have very non-traditional sounds. I've found that I absolutely love this style of playing and writing music. Since I've started to play stuff like this, I've written more music (that's a lot better), thought up lyrics, and just enjoyed playing more. I know it's the style I'll play forever, and now that I know that I've started planning out my high end gear. Right now I have a good beginner/intermediate setup.

Since I'm taking my playing to a new level I'm upgrading my gear. And, now that I know what I really want, I can get gear that I'll use forever and won't have to upgrade again.

I really suggest you get a decent beginner/intermediate setup, play until you find the style of music you'll play forever, and then look at expensive gear. Don't worry about getting professional level gear until you know what you want to do. Get a small, versatile amp, and a versatile beginner guitar (A good Squier Fat Strat perhaps?) and find your style. Once you do, then you can worry about getting good gear. You'll have a good $700 left if you go for a small amp and a Squier - I suggest you save that for your dream rig.

I really hope you take all this advice and think about it. Don't be in such a hurry to get some amazing setup. Take your time and know exactly what you want.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Heh, same happened to me xenn.

1000 bucks is alot to spend on something you don't even know you're going to like! If you're a complete beginner with no music knowledge at all--go get one of those starter packs like mostly everyone else here did.

After playing the pack for about a year or so, decide if you still like to play--THEN go buy your new gear!

Sorry, I know you did not ask for a lecture on how to spend your money, but it's really for the best. Good luck to you.

PS. If you chose not to listen to the advice given to you, I recc getting a high end LTD guitar..but first--get a good amp. Amps > guitars considering if you're dealing with the sound.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by sk8boardbob2
As your music tastes change so will your guitar playing. Take me for example, when i first got my squier beginners pack all i wanted to do was play blink-182. I didn't know jack$hit about guitars, the only companies I had heard of were Fender and Gibson. Fast foward 3 years. I'm a completely different person and guitar player. I've matured both as a person and as a musician. And this is coming from someone who had been classicaly trained for 4-5 years before buying a guitar. You might want to buy a ESP and play some metal now but a few years down the line you might learn that jazz and blues is what you wnat to play. My advice is to buy a cheap starter pack and save the $800-900 thats left. That way when you finally find your musical personality you can plunk that money on a rig that fits.

That is a very good point, I forgot about that. make sure you buy a decent, versatile rig (something like a fat strat, and some of the better cheaper modellers), and that way you can decide which pickup positions you use most, and which amp models you use most, and then you can decide better what to spend your $1000 on a year from now.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Salzary
just to add my 2 cents, when I first started playing guitar my musical tastes were much different than what they are now. As you learn more you may want different things out of your guitar, thinner neck, hollow body, floyd rose, etc. I would start off with a reasonable midrange guitar since you have the money, maybe a mexican stratocaster or an epiphone or a mid range ibanez. As you start to really get into playing you can always upgrade to a nicer guitar.

+10000000000000!!! the best thing said today...

You should sig me
I agree with the other posters start off with some "firewood" guitar if you find that you love it then upgrade. I've taught kids with Les Pauls that their parents bought them only for them to quit after 2 lessons.
you dont gotta spend a thousand to get a ''decent'' guitar....if you like playing heres my advice....buy a esp/ltd 400 series guitar..for around 500 bucks....ive found they sound awesome for the price......and an all tube b-52 at-100 head....for about 600.....that should do you right...and if you decide to say the hell with it......ur only out 1100 bucks......(the b-52 is a great tube head by the way)
yeah, if you play another instrument pretty proficiently then i'd say put the money down, becuase if you're already a talented musician on something else you're most likely going to stick with guitar, i actually do play a handmade stradivarius remake violin, which is extremely high quality, and when i got my Epi LP-100, i was a little bit underwhelmed becuase i had an ear for tone developed five years ago, lol, but after a pickup swap i was in heaven, lol, that bein said, you don't need a 1000+ guitar to have it sound great, i'd say get a Vox Valvetronix 50 Watt amp for $350, and an Ibanez MH321, thinner neck, mahogany(i think) and that'd leave you with about 400 to 300 on your cash and you'd have an excellent starter rig, and terry, if he buys that head what's he do about a cab?? that'd cost another 3-400 bucks, i hope this helps you dude
Last edited by Chad11491 at Sep 30, 2006,
lol.....oh yeah....a cab....is that what use with a head?????....damn where have i been?....lol
Quote by Muppet
DON'T EVER BUY THE BEHRINGER PACK!!!!!!! It kills your motivation with it's extremly bad sound, playability, feel, etc etc etc. Go for an Epiphone and a cheap amp.

Hehe, I've been using Behringer pack for 7 months now. I've never gotten to play another guitar besides this one!

I can't wait for the glorious day when I buy a new guitar. I hope better guitars are worth all the hype and dominate my Behringer.
lol....behringer rocks........im using a behringer cab right now....hehehehe.....nothin wrong here...lol
Good advice here. When I picked the guitar up after a 20 year hiatus, I spent my money on a decent tube amp. I forced myself to use my "student" guitar from the 80s for the first 6 months until I was sure I was going to stick with it. Then I bought my trophy guitar as a reward/motivational tool.
I think you should ask your friend that's going to teach you guitar if you can borrow some of his gear and see if you like playing, than decide if you still wanna spend all of that money.
DUDE!!! anyone ever hear one musicman axis?? ? ??? ?? ? ???

this guitar comes with

1)fr trem
2)2 hbs
3) A sticker that says its made in california
4) The spirit of eddie van halen (roCK On EVH!)
Quote by hendrixmusicman
DUDE!!! anyone ever hear one musicman axis?? ? ??? ?? ? ???

this guitar comes with

1)fr trem
2)2 hbs
3) A sticker that says its made in california
4) The spirit of eddie van halen (roCK On EVH!)

Are you serious? "get this! it has a sticker and humbuckers!" I really hope you're joking or have been playing for a week.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
Are you serious? "get this! it has a sticker and humbuckers!" I really hope you're joking or have been playing for a week.

As opposed to ****ty gibsons and assmunching jap guitars
Page 1 of 2