hi guys. ive been teaching myself guitar for about 4 years. (i'm almost 16.) ive been progressing pretty slowly over the years cause i didnt have internet until the beginning of this year. i started to play really seriously about 6 nmonths. ive got a good grasp of diatonic stuff and very little chromatic stuff. ive learnt most of the stuff on the web(i think).

so my question to you is, how did you practice, whats important whats not, howw important are songs? how long did you study one area then move on to the next? hope this isnt to much.

any help on practicing, your method of studying, etc. would be really really appreciated.

thanks guys|gals
i taught myself 4 the first year or 2 then i decided it was time 4 lessons
once youve got the basics down lessons really help ull get alot better faster
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Well really you need to determine what your goals are with guitar. Tell us some of your goals and what you want to accomplish with guitar, and it'll be much easier to determine what you need to practice for your practicing to be most effecting.
start learning a ****load of blink 182 and green day songs
SUPER easyy pwer chords,
then go on to like, some easy metallica,
and go on guitar sites, find out what you need to learn, and LEARN it
then get on to advanced stuff
I print lesson and songs off UG and i get guitar world and total guitar to learn scales and lessons
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
ive been learning for a while now on my own and i seem to be progressing really well thanks to websites like UG
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
ledzep1023:

i taught myself 4 the first year or 2 then i decided it was time 4 lessons
once youve got the basics down lessons really help ull get alot better faster

my hopes of getting a teacher are like 1%. im 2 days drive away from cities and music shops.

TooLateForRoses:
Well really you need to determine what your goals are with guitar. Tell us some of your goals and what you want to accomplish with guitar, and it'll be much easier to determine what you need to practice for your practicing to be most effecting.

loooong term goal.
i want to be able to make really neat phrases over like any chord progression in most styles. hear a tune in my head or from somewhere else, and just know exactly where to play it. i like classical jazz and jack johnson type stuff. also some hardcore\punk stuff.

thanks again
Hmm...I have a few friends who like Jack Johnson but I don't know what he plays and such. I don't know much about jazz but I'm sure someone else can guide you in that area, and for hardcore punk stuff, you'll obviously want to play their songs, learn their styles, and form your own off of that.

Making neat phrases over chord progressions. First, you'll need to learn music theory. If you don't know it already, check out www.zentao.com and look at the theory lessons on ultimate guitar. Then, check out this video by Marty Friedman, I haven't been able to apply what he teaches yet, but it seems really good.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...melodic+control

And as far as hearing something in your head, on a cd, on the radio, etc, you'll need to know basic theory, and then develop your aural skills. There are several methods to this, but it's mostly something that I think just develops over time as you learn more about theory and the patterns of different genres.

I hope that helped a little, and I'm sure someone wiser than myself will help more.
I learned on my own by using internet aswell. Tabs help. When learning how to play a variety of songs you can take what you learned and try to develope your own style. I still want lessons though. Where I bought my squier is where the owner taught John Mayer. And the owner kicks some major ass. I saw him play before.
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
Johnson uses a TON of 7th chords, for example start off by learning Banana Pancakes. It's fun, it's simple as heck, and should get you started on the road you're looking to go down.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tips:
1.Play with songs,improvise with them and play along
2. Read books!
3. join a guitar club
4. play with others
5. don't always try to outshine people.
6.listen to everything
7. practice
8.practice
9.practice
10. have fun!
Also learn some Van Halen. if you nail it you'll get chics and guys following you in awe.
plus it sounds cool
Quote by Caseguitar
Also learn some Van Halen. if you nail it you'll get chics and guys following you in awe.
plus it sounds cool

Don't learn Van Halen if you don't want to.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Yeah, and definitely don't learn it to pick up chicks....

And I have no idea why caseguitar wants to pick up d00ds by playing guitar, but that's obviously not a good reason to play Van Halen.
What if you don't want to just learn guitar just to play songs, what if you want to learn it to create your own music?

This was my goal at least, and let me tell you, I practice scales and modes (i.e. playing over backing tracks I find on the internet) a whole hell of a lot more than I do songs. Is this bad?
Life Plays With A Lot Of Distortion
Nah dude, it isn't bad at all. I usually write much more stuff than play other's music. I think it really helps when you are playing your own stuff than just sitting around playing Stairway to Heaven and whatnot.
guess what, i play to pick up chicks. they don't like van halen, they like john mayer.

wait, when was the last time i picked up a chick from playing a guitar....????
YEAH I'M STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON, FOO!
Quote by AtrumArx
Nah dude, it isn't bad at all. I usually write much more stuff than play other's music. I think it really helps when you are playing your own stuff than just sitting around playing Stairway to Heaven and whatnot.

When you start its good to learn covers.
For the first 1.5 years of my playing i didnt write anything, now Writing music is more important than learning.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by Caseguitar
plus it sounds cool

Old chicks from their time.
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
I just find a song or a part of a song that I like, and play it once, twice, 10 times, or as long as it takes to get it right. Then I move to something else, while also playing what I already learned. In time, your skills develop, your fingers become morwe flexible etc.

Even though it takes much longer to learn something than if you had a teacher or a disciplined practice schedule, it's certainly much more fun.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by TooLateForRoses
Yeah, and definitely don't learn it to pick up chicks....

And I have no idea why caseguitar wants to pick up d00ds by playing guitar, but that's obviously not a good reason to play Van Halen.

my friend i love guitar first and formost and second bass.
chics are a byproduct. i guess you could always pick up the guys but thats not me
Quote by Caseguitar
Also learn some Van Halen. if you nail it you'll get guys following you in awe.

You said it, not me.
1.Listen to ALL types of music

2.learn all techniques u can

3.watch as many videos as u can (instructionnal and virtuosos)

4.read books

5.read forums

6.play with other ppl (musical communication is a MUST)

7.correct yourself constantly (are you holding your pick correctly? how is ur hand posture? are you using your pinky? etc)

8.improvise regularly

9. HAVE FUN!!! guitar can be the most self-rewarding things you can do!
"A one that is not cold is barely a one at all!"
Here's some good advice - Buy a metronome. If you have a yamaha keyboard, most of them have metronomes. Trust, metronomes help alot with speed when your practicing, there's a lesson on speed using a metronome on UG somewhere... just find it..