I'm looking for an overdrive that will give me a boost for solos. I play hard rock and metal and I will be using it with an already distorted amp. Which is better? Or are they both bad?

Thanks in advance
The TS-808 would be the best, bt that's really expensive.

I know the SD-1 is good driving on its own, but might be a boost a bit too much if you're playing with an already distorted sound.

So ts-7
I heard that the ts-7 is a more creamy sound than crunch. Is that true?
Well, the Tube Screamers only slightly 'boost' the sound rather than actually distorting it. If you turn the gain down, it'll work perfectly.

Besides, you've got all the tone from the amp already, and all you need is a boost for solo's, right?
are you going to boost your gain or boost your volume/mids to cut through the mix ?

an OD will not boost your volume enough, it will just boost the gain...
if you want to cut through the mix, buy an EQ, and boost your mids (and/or volume)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by cmickd06
I heard that the ts-7 is a more creamy sound than crunch. Is that true?

Yes. But the TS-9 and 808 are far better.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'm looking for a gain boost. And for the extra money is the ts-9 worth it?
Quote by cmickd06
I'm looking for a gain boost. And for the extra money is the ts-9 worth it?

What do you play? I prefer the 808 to the TS-9, but it really depends on what sound you're looking for.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I play stuff like AC/DC, GN'R, Metallica, Ozzy. stuff like that but I will be using it just for solos.
so should i get the ts-7? im gonna try it out at the local guitar store
Quote by cmickd06
I play stuff like AC/DC, GN'R, Metallica, Ozzy. stuff like that but I will be using it just for solos.

I'd go with the TS-9 if you're willing to spend that kind of money. If not, go with the TS-7 (or the Bad Monkey)
I use an SD-1, but I simply use it to add the extra crunch. It seems to add a lot of treble to the sound though so you have to play around with the tone knob alot.
Digitech Bad Monkey and pocket the extra cash.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Cmogi10
Digitech Bad Monkey and pocket the extra cash.

^You win

It's better than the tubescreamer anyway
Quote by Archeo Avis
^You win

It's better than the tubescreamer anyway

Hm, I dunno, I like my TS's more, but the Bad Monkey is a great pedal.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Maxons ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Well the TS-7 is far from the real Tubescreamers and lacks alot. My dad has a TS-7 which i barley used and never use now since i got my TS-9. Times better Id say SD-1 or Bad Monkey or save up for a TS-9!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I think I'll go with the cheaper priced ones. What does the bad monkey sound like? I've only tried it on an ss amp.