I have a fender mexican stratocaster, and I just broke my A string. For some reason all my other strings went higher in pitch, and I tuned them all back down. Does anyone know why this could have happened, this has never happened before?
Your springs in the back are loose, therefor your bridge pulled back when you lost the tension of the A string, pulling the rest of the strings back and raising their pitch.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
your A string was holding tension, like all the other strings, and when it broke it couldn't hold the tension, so the other strings had more pulliing on them.

it's common sense
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
maybe because the one string released string tension and the springs got more power and pulled then all into higher pitch. I don't really know though....
"Life ends so fast, so take your chance, and make it last."
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
This happens on all guitars with tremolo systems (well the ones i've had anyway). Springs in the back of the guitar keep the bridge tremolo unit tense and in place - snapping a string causes the resistive force against the action of the springs to be less and so the springs pull the bridge further down towards the guitar, thus stretching the rest of the strings longer and so higher in pitch. Surprised you haven't had this before :-S
Quote by gpel
This happens on all guitars with tremolo systems (well the ones i've had anyway). Springs in the back of the guitar keep the bridge tremolo unit tense and in place - snapping a string causes the resistive force against the action of the springs to be less and so the springs pull the bridge further down towards the guitar, thus stretching the rest of the strings longer and so higher in pitch. Surprised you haven't had this before :-S

It also happens on guitars with hard tails, but not more than two cents or something like that. It's because of the neck tension and if one string doesn't pull the other strings pull even more and that's the same as tunning them higher.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?