Page 1 of 2
i love them, personally, i think herman li is a genius at guitar!!

but a lot of people hate dragonforce, and i can't figure out why!

someone fill me in?
Because they've gain so much popularity?

People also think Herman Li is terrible at guitar. *Shrugs*
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
i've heard people say that "they sound like video game music!" but seriously, what's wrong with that? they sound good!
i hated them at first. its the corny lyrics, annoying glam rock vocals and keyboard i think. but then i was won over buy the solos. .....i thought it was sam totman that was the really good guitarist? when i saw the video for through the fire and the flames it was his solos i loved the most
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.

Quote by absinthe5765
Someone woke up on the wrong side of his mother this morning.

Ya, I would love them if the vocals weren't so "meh"

"We'll be friends forever and ride our unicorns through the land of magic and friendship!"

That's my impression of alot of their lyrics.
i am one of the ones who don't like dragon force don't get me wrong i have respect for herman lee and i wish i could play some of the stuff he can do but i just don't like the way everything sounds together its too out there for me personally. also i don't really like the vocals too much but herman lee is impressive none the less
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
herman li plays lead, in the through the fire and the flames video, sam totman is the one drinking the beer haha
Besides their sameyness, i like Dragonforce, i just think theres way better and less samey bands that play their kind of power metal (eg Helloween!!!)
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Quote by MudlLinG123
its sopposed to sound like video game noises

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qtUiQJc7ZMI

as for hating them, I hear Li is a sloppy guitar player

yeah i've seen that video before...

i know i've never seen dragonforce live, but my friends say he's amazing...they saw him at ozzfest close up and said he didn't mess up once
Its b cuz they are labeled metal but metal has screaming ang dragonforce is 80's style metal and most people aren't likin they're style too much..................
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
lol i see sam drink the beer, but that bit where they interchange, one drinks, other solos right? am sure i remember seeing that. if im wrong and that really is all herman then yeah ill join his fan club too
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.

Quote by absinthe5765
Someone woke up on the wrong side of his mother this morning.

Quote by wylde_guy

someone fill me in?

probably because they're incredibly repetitive and not very creative. and before you say anything in response, i am a fan. i love seeing them live; they're great live - but their albums are quite repetitive, and Herman, while technically amazing, has shown no signs of genius. he has some tricks, and a ****load of talent, but he's done nothing overly creative. ever.
i think people at my school hate them because they're all gay emos...no one knows anything about music at my school...
they're nice
but in fact
herman li is always drunk before he shreds on stage...
weird
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
About the Dragonforce sloppiness thing, search 'Dragonforce betcha cant play this' on youtube. Damn right he bets you cant play it, he cant play it himself

Still, Li obviously owns me.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Quote by Alucard II
probably because they're incredibly repetitive and not very creative. and before you say anything in response, i am a fan. i love seeing them live; they're great live - but their albums are quite repetitive, and Herman, while technically amazing, has shown no signs of genius. he has some tricks, and a ****load of talent, but he's done nothing overly creative. ever.

the reason i think he's a genius is because he can be in the middle of shredding then pull off some crazy trick...

but yes, i do agree that their albums are quite repetative...
Quote by INNOCENT VICTIM
Its b cuz they are labeled metal but metal has screaming ang dragonforce is 80's style metal and most people aren't likin they're style too much..................

Not all metal has screaming you silly little man.
Yeah, I don't mind the 8-bit nintendo effects that much, it's the cheesy vocals and the mad corny lyrics lol.
Their guitarplaying is kinda boring to me. I like some songs, but I'd love to hear more songwriting than just pure wankery, as good as it is.
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
Quote by INNOCENT VICTIM

Idiot.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by wylde_guy
the reason i think he's a genius is because he can be in the middle of shredding then pull off some crazy trick...

but yes, i do agree that their albums are quite repetative...
thats just technical proficiency tho, and impressive as it may be, its not genius. i would love to have his chops tho.
i cant believe no one has explained why

here ye go
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRTeZuXBa2w

now how is it cool to get wasted then record a crappy uncreative tape for millions to see

secondly, they have their sound drenched in delay and it still cant cover up their inablility to tap or sweep.

my below average tapping and sweeping (which suck)>Herman Li and Sam
Last edited by garden of grey at Sep 23, 2006,
Very repetitive, and I don't like the formula to begin with. While Through The Fire and Flames is kinda cool, it sounds like all their other stuff. Plus, Herman Li is really boring, and the video game sounds are very annoying.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Awesome every now and then, but listening to them too much kind of gets boring.

/is coming from the guy who has all 3 albums.
Honestly, all their stuff sounds the same. I just picked the three songs with lyrics I liked the best and wrote them off as a novelty, leaving those songs on my playlist.

My biggest problem with them is the rabid fans that seem to be emerging now that they are getting popular. Last time I was playing some Manowar at a party, I had some dip**** come over to me and go, "These guys are alright, but Dragonforce did it better and first." It took all the restraint I had to not kill him.
Dragonforce is one of the worst metal bands.

"lol look at us we can play super fast solo's! can we write songs? no! are we a decent band? nope!"

bunch of fags.
Quote by wylde_guy

someone fill me in?

you are an idiot. Their sound is like 20 years in the past. It doesnt always matter whether the band is good or not, but whether they sound good or not. I think theyre awesome musicians myself, but I really hate the sound. You need to remember wats important in music.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Technical farts in odd time signatures?

WTF do you eat?

Quote by metabolicmaggot
Wow these answers scare me....I've swallowed some of that suff....I need a shower.
Quote by INNOCENT VICTIM

Idiot.

Most of the people that hate them are the dudes in the shred forum.

I don't mind them, but they do get quite repetitive.

Edit: It seems that many people here haven't heard of power metal.

And this should be in the Only Dragonforce thread.
roar
Last edited by Slayer224 at Sep 23, 2006,
yea, a lot of non metalheads walked into this thread.

Im sort of a power metal elitist so this is really bugging me.
I dont care if people like them if they are aware that they are not the first power metal band (i hear that a LOT)
I would like Dragonforce if they would they stop raping all the fantasy books in one giant gangbang.
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
Last edited by gnr_fan_17 at Sep 23, 2006,
Quote by garden of grey
now how is it cool to get wasted then record a crappy uncreative tape for millions to see

secondly, they have their sound drenched in delay and it still cant cover up their inablility to tap or sweep.
you picked really stupid reasons to highlight for why someone may not like DragonForce. like it or not, Herman & Sam can play. neither of them is the greatest guitar player in the world, they most definitely have superiors, but i've seen them play near flawlessly live, so whisht.

that video you posted is god awful tho. but how is it cool to get wasted and record a crappy video? who really cares when you're having fun? coz thats all that they're doing. a lot of people hate the tricks they throw in; see it as showing off - and in many ways it is - but they're just having a bit of craic, which is nice to see.

i cant speak for everyone, but i would imagine the main reasons people dont like DragonForce include
the fact that they get very repetitive
exhibit limited songwriting creativity
the showing off (which i enjoy)
and the fact that they've now become quite popular, and thus Herman has been elevated to a god like status, above other, lesser known guitarists, who may deserve the praise more, but you know what? i doubt the other guitarists really give a ****.

EDIT: i missed the part where you said you've had people think that DF are the first power metal band....on my behalf, please hit the next person who says that
When I first heard them I didn't mind them, but after listening to them a while I just thought they sounded annoying and every song is exactly the same.
I fade in and out of them...I dislike the new album though. It's just to god damn much...
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Page 1 of 2