Is replacing a tremelo easy?

I have the Ibanez EDR470ex and the Edge Pro II trem is starting to annoy me. It knockls all the strings out when used and after a couple of hours play will gradually lower thair pitch also.

I'm thinking of buying a traditional Floyd Rose assuming this will fix the problem.

Are there any other causes of this besides an aging crappy trem?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I would think something to do with the strings ... differ gauges and stuff, tighter the strings and this and that... but thats just an amatuers guess because i have never dealt with one b4

Sorry if this is no help
A traditional Floyd Rose couldnt fit the Edge Pro II's cavity. (You're 100% sure its an Edge Pro II? can you tell me what is the serial number?) AFAIK, the only best swap that could accept the Edge Pro II is the Edge Pro.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
the EDR470ex had a Lo trs II trem. If it says that on the trem, you can switch it out with an OFR, schaller, or gotoh. I'd suggest the gotoh, then the schaller, then the OFR. Gotoh's factories have pumped out some of the best trems known to man (edge and lo-pro and maybe the edge pro if you're fine with the non locking studs.)
Originally posted by priest.fan.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
Edge Pro.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Edge Pro.

If its a Lo-Trs II then it cant accomodate an Edge Pro. I'd say Gotoh.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
It's definitely the Edge Pro II on the EDR470EX.

So Edge Pro is a lot better?
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Could you plz post the serial number so that i can confirm?

Edge Pro is the best

EDIT: Nvm about the serial, its confirmed that your guitar has an Edge Pro II. The Edge Pro is a drop in swap with no routing necessary using the old anchors and studs.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Sep 24, 2006,
Quote by madpickin03
Could you plz post the serial number so that i can confirm?

Edge Pro is the best

EDIT: Nvm about the serial, its confirmed that your guitar has an Edge Pro II. The Edge Pro is a drop in swap with no routing necessary using the old anchors and studs.

No no no no. The edge pro has the metal "sound chips" and that makes it longer than the edge II, so you'd have to rout the end of the cavity and make it deeper too.

And the edge pro is not the best. The edge and lo pro were the best. Lately ibanez has had a "Lawl lets cut manufacturing cost" mentality.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
Quote by norvan
No no no no. The edge pro has the metal "sound chips" and that makes it longer than the edge II, so you'd have to rout the end of the cavity and make it deeper too.

And the edge pro is not the best. The edge and lo pro were the best. Lately ibanez has had a "Lawl lets cut manufacturing cost" mentality.

Sigh, the Edge Pro isnt a reduction method from Ibanez, they're manufactured greatly in Japan (this aint no Lo-TRS, ILT1 or Edge III manufactured in Korea). And saying a Lo-Pro Edge or an Edge is better is not correct, they're all in par and its the matter of preference. And i dont know what you mean by "sound chips" at all...

This is an RGT42FMDR, fitted with a gold Edge Pro with no adjustment made to the cavity.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Sigh, the Edge Pro isnt a reduction method from Ibanez, they're manufactured greatly in Japan (this aint no Lo-TRS, ILT1 or Edge III manufactured in Korea). And saying a Lo-Pro Edge or an Edge is better is not correct, they're all in par and its the matter of preference. And i dont know what you mean by "sound chips" at all...

This is an RGT42FMDR, fitted with a gold Edge Pro with no adjustment made to the cavity.

The lo-pro/edge had locking trem posts, which adds a lot of tuning stability. Ibanez removed these because too many retards tried readjusting the action without unlocking them and then tried to get Ibanez to repair them. What I mean by the sound chips are those little silver inserts on the saddles that the strings sit on. Supposedly it imporves tonal transfer and fixes some intonation issues.
Quote by norvan
The lo-pro/edge had locking trem posts, which adds a lot of tuning stability. Ibanez removed these because too many retards tried readjusting the action without unlocking them and then tried to get Ibanez to repair them. What I mean by the sound chips are those little silver inserts on the saddles that the strings sit on. Supposedly it imporves tonal transfer and fixes some intonation issues.

If you want a locking stud mod on your Edge Pro, its easily done, just contact Rich from Ibanezrules.com and he can do it for you. Hell, easier, you can just purchase a guitar from him and add $35 and he'd do a complete setup on it + the locking stud mod for an Ibanez Prestige. You can even do it yourself, prior that you know how to pry the anchors and inserting a new locking one.

And about those locking studs, its not such a significant change but its more stable. As for the threadstarter, so far the Edge Pro is the only best thing that could be swapped with it with no routing necessary. The hinge type anchors on the Edge Pro II may not be stable but that's the price he had to pay, otherwise he had to route it to make way for an Edge/Lo-Pro Edge/OFR.

The Edge and the Lo-Pro has totally different routing, AFAIK, the closest a Lo-Pro could get without major routing is on the Edge III's cavity (need to sand the front part a bit).
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Is the Edge Pro almost identical in shape to the Edge Pro II then?
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
Is the Edge Pro almost identical in shape to the Edge Pro II then?

Almost but totally different, dont go flaming on me if it wont fit perfectly. There are some who had tried and its fits just fine, i havent heard of ppl complaining about having trouble switching them (prior that you use the old anchors and studs) before.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
If you want a locking stud mod on your Edge Pro, its easily done, just contact Rich from Ibanezrules.com and he can do it for you. Hell, easier, you can just purchase a guitar from him and add $35 and he'd do a complete setup on it + the locking stud mod for an Ibanez Prestige. You can even do it yourself, prior that you know how to pry the anchors and inserting a new locking one.

And about those locking studs, its not such a significant change but its more stable. As for the threadstarter, so far the Edge Pro is the only best thing that could be swapped with it with no routing necessary. The hinge type anchors on the Edge Pro II may not be stable but that's the price he had to pay, otherwise he had to route it to make way for an Edge/Lo-Pro Edge/OFR.

The Edge and the Lo-Pro has totally different routing, AFAIK, the closest a Lo-Pro could get without major routing is on the Edge III's cavity (need to sand the front part a bit).

Yeah, you can buy the kit from Rich and yes, his setups are legendary, but some people would be happier getting it from guitar center or something. After I finish working on my squier from hell, I might gather up the money for the studs. Also, I think I saw on jemsite about putting an edge pro into an edge pro II guitar, but I think i've also heard conflicting reports.
Quote by norvan
Yeah, you can buy the kit from Rich and yes, his setups are legendary, but some people would be happier getting it from guitar center or something. After I finish working on my squier from hell, I might gather up the money for the studs. Also, I think I saw on jemsite about putting an edge pro into an edge pro II guitar, but I think i've also heard conflicting reports.

Conflicting report such as? I havent heard of conflicting reports from there except for those who wish to change the hinge anchors on the Edge Pro II's cavity and inserting a new Edge Pro independent anchors.

I believe there's also an UGer who had his Edge Pro II removed and fitted with an Edge Pro with no troubles at all.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic