Ive been playing bass for some time now...and now I think its a time to upgrade.

I have a Schecter Stiletto Elite....and I don't know which amp will sound better....I already played them and hard time to choose...

either...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115T-1X15-100-Watt-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481724

or a GK backline

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-210-Combo-Amp?sku=482535

Any pros and cons from people who actually have this amp and can give me some feed back

Thank you.
Quote by punk n' metal
RnB is emo for black people

UG's Nudist Club. PM Me to Join.
I play the same Schecter Elite, and I must say that the Ampeg sound great with it. I've never played though and Ampeg I didn't like, and that combo, though not their top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, is no slouch either. If it hadn't been for the whole "money" thing, I would have gotten that when I first started playing with a band, rather than the Fender I got.

I don't really have much to say about GK, never had any interest in them, never really played any of them. I'm skipping from low-end straight to a high end Ampeg head and cab as soon as I solve this little problem I have called "being broke." Sure I'm a bit of an Ampeg fanboy, but who cares, you can't argue with the quality.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
I play the same Schecter Elite, and I must say that the Ampeg sound great with it. I've never played though and Ampeg I didn't like, and that combo, though not their top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, is no slouch either. If it hadn't been for the whole "money" thing, I would have gotten that when I first started playing with a band, rather than the Fender I got.

I don't really have much to say about GK, never had any interest in them, never really played any of them. I'm skipping from low-end straight to a high end Ampeg head and cab as soon as I solve this little problem I have called "being broke." Sure I'm a bit of an Ampeg fanboy, but who cares, you can't argue with the quality.

so....you think tha AMPEG amp is pretty good??
Quote by punk n' metal

Well, its time for my basic Ampeg/GK speech.

Ampegs have a very distinct tone, which most bassists use. You will be able to get a lot of classic tones out of an Ampeg. They have a certain classic personality. That personality will not want to go away.

Gallien Krueger amps have absolutely no personality. When a bassists plugs into a GK, a new personality will be shown. Gallien Kreuger amps let you shape your own original tone, and get a new sound. They have a much wider tonal range than Ampeg.

Ampegs will always sound like Ampegs, and Gallien-Kreugers will sound like something totally new.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Well, its time for my basic Ampeg/GK speech.

Ampegs have a very distinct tone, which most bassists use. You will be able to get a lot of classic tones out of an Ampeg. They have a certain classic personality. That personality will not want to go away.

Gallien Krueger amps have absolutely no personality. When a bassists plugs into a GK, a new personality will be shown. Gallien Kreuger amps let you shape your own original tone, and get a new sound. They have a much wider tonal range than Ampeg.

Ampegs will always sound like Ampegs, and Gallien-Kreugers will sound like something totally new.

when you say it that way, I can think of a good thing to compare it too. Its the same idea as a Ric, more or less. A ric is a ric is a ric, but with another bass you can get more distinct tones. Is that what you were saying more or less?
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
well thank you everybody especially the person that said about the tone. Which bass amp is more reliable tho? I heard the GK backline well.....is not very relaible, I just wanna hear this from someone that actualy does own the amp.
Quote by punk n' metal

Quote by Fett13
when you say it that way, I can think of a good thing to compare it too. Its the same idea as a Ric, more or less. A ric is a ric is a ric, but with another bass you can get more distinct tones. Is that what you were saying more or less?

Yep...

Although, I can't think of something to compare the GK to... I would compare it to a Jazz bass, but those don't give you as much of an original tone as a GK.

As far as GK and reliabilty, I have never heard any issues of the Mark II or plus models having any problems. The only reliablity issues I have heard of with GK were the ones with the Mark-I's.

how about the backline series?
Quote by punk n' metal

In the backline review in Bass Player Magazine, they said that the Backline was basically the 700RB-II without the same output power, speakon cable outputs, bi-amping, or advanced voicing filters.

It still has the growl and original sound of a GK. I have played a backline 2x10 cabinet (running the 1001RB-II into it). It is one of the most punchy cabs I have heard.

GK combos have the same heads as the stacks. You can buy just the head in most combos individually.

So, yes, they are just as versitile.

Its kind of hard to explain... I guess I would explain it by saying VERY responsive midrange. Punchy cabs are the ones you can feel in your chest if the bass is high enough.

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Its kind of hard to explain... I guess I would explain it by saying VERY responsive midrange. Punchy cabs are the ones you can feel in your chest if the bass is high enough.

haha, pretty much. i've played through more ampegs than Gk's, but i liked both. personally, i like the ampegs, mostly cause the basic 4x10 setup is spectacular, ive never heard my low b so clearly. my only problem with the ampegs is that they are a bit pricey.

have you considered a carvin amp?
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^There is nothing special about Carvins, IMO. They just sound like a bass amp. Very bland sounding. Its like the difference between plain yoghurt and blueberry yoghurt (yes, its lunch time )

I really like the sound of the GK backline but from reviews I hard the speakers blow out and stuff so Iam just really worried.
Quote by punk n' metal

I own the Ampeg BA115. hmm. Inky mentioned most of it, but to add:

the 3 band eq sucks, as i would expect 5+ bands from a supposed "higher end" combo amp. It also isnt as versatile as other amps, but that depends how you look at it, because if you want that ampeg tone, you'll love the ampeg, period. But if you know you're going to be playing a lot of different styles, lots of different tones, you may want to go ahead and think about another amp. And: The combo's, from what i hear about the stacks, are nothing like the stacks, in the sense of lots of people naming Ampeg heads/cabs the "end all" "ultimate" rig lol. Im sure theres better 100W combo's than my ba115. Oh well.

And mine keeps overheating any suggestions? i play indoors, and we cant really open up windows/doors too much because we play too loud for the neighbours.
^Is there a fan on it? Is it working? Does it need to be cleaned? Sometimes they get full of dust.

Hmm i dunno i havent checked if i have a fan on it i guess sometime today ill try to check hehe.

But lets say i dont have a fan, or my fans fine, but dosnt do the job i want it to, IF thats the scenario, any tips on cooling?
Not really... it might be faulty wiring, as I dont think it is supposed to overheat like that. Unless you purchased it used like Yertle. There might be candy inside

I did buy it used, but right off the bat when i got it, we took it apart, resoldered the input jacks and all that, cause it was faulty soldering (which is part of why i got a good deal, but it was a hella easy fix, saved money for sure). So no candy inside
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
^There is nothing special about Carvins, IMO. They just sound like a bass amp. Very bland sounding. Its like the difference between plain yoghurt and blueberry yoghurt (yes, its lunch time )

see now, i dont care for blueberry's. carvins are deffinately strawberry banana yoghurt, which is 10 times better than plain

plus, they are shiny.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
*Looks around* I haven't been in this neck of the woods for a while...

Back on topic...

I have a friend who owns that very Ampeg, and live it never fails to impress me...BUT, believe it or not, my Peavey combo, costing about half the price really isn't that far off the Ampeg in terms of tone, and boasts a 4-band EQ rather than the 3-band that the Ampeg has.

I haven't had any previous experience with GK's, but when reading reviews I've heard pretty good things...

The moral of this story...buy a Peavey*

*After looking on musicans friend, it seems that the model above mine and below the more expensive models has been discontinued...so unless you're happy with a 60watt combo, or paying $50 more than you would for the Ampeg, I'd look elsewhere...(i.e. the Ampeg)
I ve been on Musicians Friend and I found a SWR amp...I heard bad things about the LA series but any comments on the workingpro series??

would that be a good consideration?
Quote by punk n' metal

As a former owner of that Ampeg and a present owner of a GK (115, not 210, but I'd rather a 210 actually...) I say go GK. That ampeg... is not my cup of tea. Most ampegs aren't, but this isn't even close to those.
haha