What is the best type of wood, in a guitar, for playing metal and shred.
i.e. the wood that gives you a nice lowend and great highs.

\Sorry if his has been asked before, but I couldn't find something like this.
Gear

Son Of Beast *IDW it anymore*
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Guys relax if you can't joke about genocide then what can you do?
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

check out here for the wood type descriptions

the usual choice for metal would probably be mahogany, but for shred and metal I think alder would suit the best
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

maple or ash, if im wrong btw dont get all over me about it, im not real sure bout ash but i know for a fact that maple is, and also i think there is a lesson on here about the different types of woods, its really fu**in helpful
^ Don't u mean the fingerboard? Most necks are made out of maple with a rosewood fingerboard. Great for metal!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I have been looking at stuff, and am either going with an Alder body or a Swamp Ash body with a maple neck with Ebony fret board.

Any problems or suggestions?
Gear

Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
The maple/ebony neck is a very good choice so go with that. However i think mahogony is best for metal because there are very few "metal" guitars that are made of something else.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
it depends on your pickups as well. if you are using active pickups, wood wont matter nearly as much as the pre-amp
I plan on getting a custom Carvin DC727 and just putting in X2N 7 in the bridge and a PAF 7 in the neck. So, no, I am not getting active, so I'm guessing the wood matters more now?
Gear

Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Does anyone else ever wish Gibson made a solid maple les paul? The way les originally wanted it.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
maple is ass **** bright, alone they can get pretty ugly. Btw, that ebony fretbaord will decrease sustain. and alder is a decent choice, and mahogany can sound muddy with bad pickups and lots of gain. swamp ash might be intresting to hear.
My maple body squier has a very bright tone....

Way too bright. Extremely hard to get a good tone with IMO....A Maple LP might be a bit better because of all the wood but Maple is stupidly heavy as well, my Strat is heavier than my mahogany LP...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.