Ok my worst technique i think at the moment is fretting, I have a hard time learning some songs still that just involve plucking and fretting. The songs I do know I can fret almost perfectly. When I try and learn say a few jazz songs I have a hard time doing the fretting on some of those songs still. Though I know I can't expect alot considering i have been only playing about a month I was wondering if this is normal? and what I can do to improve my fretting ability as well as when I can expect to be able to fret songs easier.

I wanna get good enough to do some improv but its hard when I still have to really think about where my finger is going and such and the changes arnt as smooth as they could be from fret to fret when I do that.
Practice, and lots of it

And if your only playing one month! Jazz might be another year or two down the line.

Try something easier... like arctic monkeys, or foo fighters...
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
Well I can play some jazz stuff took me a bit to memorize though. So I dunno I am really trying to figure out what I should be able to play now and what I should be able to play in a few months? When do u think I could start looking to maybe join a bad? That type of stuff is what im trying to figure out hehe, where I should be around playing wise right now and where I should expect to be in a few months with practice.
Hey man, i notice from your threads you are eager to get to a competent level in bass playing. This is the first thing you need - now the second thing you need is patience. Learning an instrument, indeed learning any skill, to a competent level is NOT easy. it takes YEARS of dedication and practice. Don't rush my friend, honestly. Take your time, do things right and in good time you will be on your way to being the bass player you want to be. I've told you in previous threads what sort of stuff to practice, so you know what to do. Just spend as much time doing that every day as possible, and that's all you can do.

There is no "after one month you should be able to play this" rule with instruments - everyone learns at different levels. Someone playing two years may be better than someone playing five years. I really can't stress this enough - just chilax on the whole "how good am I" and concentrate on your playing.

If you want to play a song and learn it, dont think you will be able to just play it, you will need to spend time, sometimes weeks, even months learning a song so you can nail it. I've been working on PoT for over two months now and i still am not totally happy with it.

As far as bands go, forget it for now. You are a long way off being at a level where you feel confident enough to play improv with other musicians. And so you should be, you've only been playing a month!

So my message to you: Patience is the key to success.

Chag Samaech
Last edited by Applehead at Sep 23, 2006,
you perhaps you are right, I think that I wanna get good I am more concerned with the fact that I am not getting there as fast as I should or that maybe I need to be doing something else. Maybe I will try and just calm down and just practice and just wait till I am better. Think one of the things that really caught me was that one of my guitarist friends accualy my cousin said that I could be pretty good in a year, and it hsouldnt take super long to get decent at the bass.

Maybe I am seeing that perhaps he was wrong on this point, and that it takes longer to get really good. But your right I do want to attain skill fairly quickly and perhaps thats a mistake on my part.

think that other thing is normaly like in orcistra as far as I remember from when I was in school it didnt take them very long to be able to play a few harder things. So I think that also has a part of my idea on how fast you can learn or should learn.
I tell you mate, learning an instrument is a humbling thing to do. I can tell you now, even in five years you will not be as good as you want to be - because you never stop learning. Ever. There is always new things to learn, avenues you never though of. how old are you any bro?

Just say to yourself that in a few years you know you will be a good bass player, then in a few years after that you will be better....(repeat to fade)

Love and Biscuits
x
You shouldn't worry about about becomming good fast hardly anyone does unless you have bucket fulls of talent... also you shouldn't wait until you are better just practise everyday or atleast try to for a good hour and things should move along nicley
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Me I am 22, I normaly try and push things I like to do the best that I can. I can see that it is very humbling indeed. I think that is good because I need to learn better patience. I think alot of my concern is more for the fact that I am worried I won't improve so I strive to do better. But I think it makes me feel alot better to know that it takes a long while to accualy get very good, because than I don't feel like such a failure at it I guess. I do enjoy playing though and I really do wanna become good. just feels like I will never get there sometimes lol.
^we are all born equal my friend, no one is "born to be a bass player". Those who get virtuoso are those willing to spend more time than anyone else. It's called dedication, and that's it.

Quote by Sturek
just feels like I will never get there sometimes lol.

I can bet you my left bollock that not one person on here does not want to be better than they are now, ie, not as good as they want to be.

and stop wasting time on this site !!
Last edited by Applehead at Sep 23, 2006,
Lol alright, you cleared up a unbelievable amount of **** for me. I gota get ready for wedding soon so thats why im posting, I was playing till my hands got tired from playing lol so I think I did pretty well today. Thanks again apple I think thats what I really needed to know.
Born to be a bass player? well I learned my first Rush song (Force Ten) in my first week of picking up a bass guitar and never having played a stringed instrument in my life... I learned my first Jaco song at the end of the first month of playing and I taught myself YYZ by Rush at the beginning of my second month... however I did and still do practise every day
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by RIC4003
Born to be a bass player? well I learned my first Rush song (Force Ten) in my first week of picking up a bass guitar and never having played a stringed instrument in my life... I learned my first Jaco song at the end of the first month of playing and I taught myself YYZ by Rush at the beginning of my second month... however I did and still do practise every day

What do you want, a f*cking medal? Once you get out of your own arse, you'll see that a) no one cares and b) no one cares.

Why dont you post up some recordings of you, video would be cool. Look forward to seeing it.
lol hey hey hey I get it I realize no one cares I am just saying however I like the video idea take it easy apple
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join